LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Replacing door speaker

Old 02-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
tacomaholic is on a distinguished road
tacomaholic's Tacoma Gallery
Replacing door speaker

My right side front door speaker makes no noise at all??? Thinking about replacing it..how hard is it to replace?
Old 02-28-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
Pingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to behold

Pingo's Tacoma Gallery
I just replaced all my speakers this weekend. Simple as taking the door panel off and unscrewing the speaker and poppin the new one in... may be a connection issue somewhere else though and not the speaker....

As a matter of fact my passenger door isn't working after I just put new ones in and I think its actually the connection to my deck instead of the speaker.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingo View Post
I just replaced all my speakers this weekend. Simple as taking the door panel off and unscrewing the speaker and poppin the new one in... may be a connection issue somewhere else though and not the speaker....

As a matter of fact my passenger door isn't working after I just put new ones in and I think its actually the connection to my deck instead of the speaker.
I always thought you had to make a custom mount for door speakers when ever you put new ones in
Old 02-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
keith4020 is on a distinguished road

Name: keith
keith4020's Tacoma Gallery
make sure not too break door panel plastic pop ins take your time and the door handle pops forward to release from panel did mine last week and if you go after market some modding will have to be done to the plastic mounting plate
Old 02-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #5
Resident MMA Fanatic
SlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlimDigg's Tacoma Gallery
I used this guide:

http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=143

I suggest getting a door panel tool, basically a wide flathead screwdriver with a space in the middle for going around the tabs. I used a regular flathead, and broke a few tabs along the way.

Also, the speaker size is 5x7. You can fit 6x8 as well.

The main problem is the magnet on the stock speaker is small and if you throw in aftermarket speakers, the bracket or magnet will likely require trimming of the stock speaker mount. I'm still driving around with no drivers door speaker
Old 02-28-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
Pingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to beholdPingo is a splendid one to behold

Pingo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by achirdo View Post
I always thought you had to make a custom mount for door speakers when ever you put new ones in
I don't know about 2nd gens but my first gen took no modifying in the front or rear of my extra cab. OP has a first gen as well.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #7
geoff06 is a jewel in the roughgeoff06 is a jewel in the roughgeoff06 is a jewel in the rough
geoff06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith4020 View Post
make sure not too break door panel plastic pop ins take your time and the door handle pops forward to release from panel did mine last week and if you go after market some modding will have to be done to the plastic mounting plate
those panel pop-in mounts are thankfully a pretty common item at auto parts stores. i had to replace some of mine when i did some front speaker/tweeter work