1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

01 TRDsc, king suspension, and more

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by RacerAV, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Mar 2, 2011 at 1:33 PM
    RacerAV

RacerAV [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC, CA
    Vehicle:
    '09 DCSB4x4 (sold)
    Im about to buy this truck, with 120k mi, its got a factory installed, when new, trd super charger, and then some aftermarket stuff, K&n af and king racing shocks, etc. Should I look for anything in particular on this truck? Its in great condition, but this is my first tacoma. I know cars, bikes, etc. But what should I look for guys? THanks, and hope it works out and I'll be around here a lot more!
    Hey also, what would you pay for the truck? It's white, 120k mi, lift, khumo muddy looking tires, (pretty new) and the TRD sc. The truck definitely doesnt have a lot of power, which i was bummed, thought the sc would help. Also, man does this thing whine!!! its loud when up in the boost, 5-10 lbs the guage shows.
    Any sc reliability issues to look out for? On the truck? the 4wd system? everything seemed to work as it should.
    Thanks!
    Adamo

2. Mar 2, 2011 at 2:58 PM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    120k miles on the SC is quite a bit. Its a great SC, but with 120k, you may need to rebuild it. As for everything else, the Tacoma is pretty solid. If he did the required maint, you shouldnt have much to worry about.

3. Mar 2, 2011 at 7:14 PM
    NegroTundra

NegroTundra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Land of Enchantment
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma TRD 4WD 5 spd
    To the OP...good luck, sounds like a nice truck! If you get it, pics ASAP!

To St. Andrew, I'm in the market for a S/C, do you think the old age of his referenced s/c is the reason for the whine, or do all (new and old) s/c's produce the whine? (I do enjoy a quiet highway ride) Thanks!

4. Mar 3, 2011 at 6:12 AM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    I think the CAI paired with the SC are causing the whine. However, most forst air injections are going to whine to some degree.

Im not too familiar with this SC but from what I hear, a rebuild is recomended at ~75K. Def use this as a bargining chip when discussing prices.

You should also double check the rear leaf springs and make sure they arent flat.

5. Mar 3, 2011 at 8:05 AM
    vantaco

vantaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 Taco Xtracab TRD Step Side
    that SC is definetly going to need some work

i'd get a compression test done on the motor to see how it's help up after all those years of being SC'd

generally the worst thing is buying a modded vehicle. i'm willing to be it's been beat on

i'd try to find a better stock truck

6. Mar 3, 2011 at 11:34 AM
    mikracer

mikracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB | TRD Sport 4x4
    I didnt think the stock SC put out 10psi. In any case, if you buy this truck, expect to at least do the SC nose drive change or the oil change in the nose at the very least. Simple questions to ask is whether the timing belt has been replaced, and if the water pump was replaced with it. If it hasnt been replaced, expect to pay a shop about $700 for both.

Products Discussed in

To Top