Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

My Taco is HOT MAN!

Old 03-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
Crashmo will become famous soon enough

Name: Captain Dude
Crashmo's Tacoma Gallery
My Taco burned to the ground

I don't know exactly why, but my trusty companion flamed on me last night. It was a tragicomedy.
I was on the way home from my weekly shooting match when I felt drag (a lot of drag) from what I thought was the transfer case. Then the clutch slammed to the floor on it's own. Then I saw sparks from the left front wheel well. I stopped immediately and got out to look. The entire front left engine compartment was in flames.
I pulled out my rifle and gear bag (with ammo) as I dialed 911. First things first, you know. Then I could only watch and inhale toxic fumes while I actually thought about having to search for a new Tacoma. It was sad and exciting at the same time.
My Tacoma is on fire for unknown reasons and I'm actually thinking about replacing it with another first gen. Tacoma. Hmmm.
My favorite photo is 110 when the firefighter hosed the inside.

Anyone else experience flaming first gens? Or know anything about this problem popping up with others?

UPDATE: 03/09/2011
I talked with Toyota Customer service yesterday. I'll be careful about what I say here because I don't know if this is going beyond the insurance and into Toyota's hands.
The man I talked with was, in a way, stern. There was no love there. I get the feeling he has to fend off everyone that wants a new truck because their blinker doesn't work.
He took my statement and then asked me what I expected from Toyota. I told him I expected them to investigate this issue to see if it warrants notification of other Tacoma owners.
Then he asked me what I expected Toyota to do for me? From the tone and implication I thought it was a fishing question and I did not expect it.
I said I wanted my truck back, but knowing that was impossible I was only in search of a replacement of the same. I also noted that I did have full insurance and that they were in motion as well.
He responded that Toyota was not in the used car business and that they made new cars.
More fishing. Shit. Where do you go with that? I didn't know if he wanted me to ask for a new truck from Toyota. Seriously, "Hey, give me a new truck." Yeah, I'm that kind of guy. A little naive.
But, he made no offers and seemed that he was not going to either.

Then I spoke with insurance. He was a different tone. A great guy at Travellers. I was prepared for a fight for the full value. He gave me a higher value than any truck I have looked at over the weekend. Of course mine was in great shape with only 55k miles. By the way, they said anything I want to keep from the truck (Brand new tires, except the melted one.) would reduce my payout price. Sorry to you who have asked about salvage parts. Trust me, I spent part of the weekend scrubbing toxic BBQ smell out of everything. Yuck, man!

I am now looking for a 2004 xtra cab TRD replacement. Unless Toyota ponies up with something different.

More news as it happens.
Attached Thumbnails
My Taco is HOT MAN!-imag01131.jpg   My Taco is HOT MAN!-photo00231.jpg   My Taco is HOT MAN!-photo00251.jpg   My Taco is HOT MAN!-imag01101.jpg   My Taco is HOT MAN!-imag01031.jpg  

Old 03-05-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
PWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Prescott
PWhite13's Tacoma Gallery
Damn, that blows! Sorry to hear bout it
Old 03-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
Dang! I wonder what was the cause of it?At least your ok tho man
Old 03-05-2011, 02:40 PM   #4
Phuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
Phuket's Tacoma Gallery
never heard of that before but i hope you get another taco!
Old 03-05-2011, 02:48 PM   #5
Local TW dissenter
toy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
toy02ota's Tacoma Gallery
Holy hell man, that sucks! Would it be too soon to play Blaze of Glory? At least you will be able to get another tacoma out of it
Old 03-05-2011, 03:25 PM   #8
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Ouch man... Sorry. Are you going for a 1st or 2nd gen next?
Old 03-05-2011, 04:13 PM   #10
ScottyB is on a distinguished road
Name: Scott
ScottyB's Tacoma Gallery
Oh damn. Sorry for your loss.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #11
Official Flatlander
Gieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gieser's Tacoma Gallery
dude that sucks. hope you can find another one.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #12
beans20 is a splendid one to beholdbeans20 is a splendid one to beholdbeans20 is a splendid one to beholdbeans20 is a splendid one to beholdbeans20 is a splendid one to beholdbeans20 is a splendid one to beholdbeans20 is a splendid one to behold

Army:
Name: Will
beans20's Tacoma Gallery
Wow dude i prolly would have cried if that was my truck!!! Sorry for your loss man!!
Old 03-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #13
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry man. WHere did that happen in Portland?
Old 03-05-2011, 11:34 PM   #14
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
If you sell the parts, dibs on the tail lights!! I really need a pair.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:37 PM   #15
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
That last pic is depressing. Glad you're ok though.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:43 AM   #17
slmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
slmgt's Tacoma Gallery
I was confused by your choice of wording originally saying it was "hot man", then saying it "flamed" on you. Luckily the pictures and later story explained to me what on earth you meant. Sucks you lost the truck, great you're ok, awesome you also like shooting, and now my two questions are:

1) What shooting match? More details, please!
2) Are you going to keep us in the loop as to what happened, why it happened and what you're doing about the old vehicle and your next vehicle?

Off-topic: I went shooting today and got to shoot a $4,000 Feinwerkbau small bore rifle at a target 50 yards away with no zoom. First shot was an 8 (impressive feat in and of itself), except my second shot was a 10 (bullseye). I was/am happy [end off-topic]
Old 03-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #18
Crashmo will become famous soon enough

Name: Captain Dude
Crashmo's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Shooting and Tails.

Feinwerkbaus are very nice rifles. We have a 300 air rifle by them and even though it is 25 years old it still is as good as day one.

Currently we are shooting Anschutz smallbores. A 1907 and a 1913. We're on a league in the Portland area.

I'll keep this thread up to speed with results. Insurance and Toyota won't even look at it until tomorrow. I've already had requests for parts. If the insurance throws it back my way I'll let everyone know what is still good enough to salvage.

I just put new Toyo Wild Country tires on the rear. They have maybe 3-400 miles on them. So I don't want to waste anything.

BUT! Everything (and I mean everything) has an ugly toxic BBQ smell on it and will require scrubbing.