1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

horn not working

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ryan757shaft, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Mar 7, 2011 at 1:23 PM
    ryan757shaft

ryan757shaft [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    97 tacoma
    The horn is not working on my 97 tacoma. I hit something & the horn stopped working. the hit did minimal damage-hood, grille, headlight. But didn't mess up the radiator or anything.

Everytime i press the horn i hear a clicking. I also traced the wire coming off the horn & it seems continuous. I tried installing a new horn, this doesn't work either.

Pressing the horn over & over again blew the fuse. So I replaced it, now the clicking occurs again. Anyone know whats going on?

2. Mar 7, 2011 at 4:01 PM
    monoman

monoman Time to get dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Exotic, San Jose, Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Sky Tacoma SR Access Cab 4X4
    SnugTop SuperSport shell CaliRaisedLED light bar Toyo Open Country AT/3's Bilstein 5100's up front, (#2) & 4600 in rear Daily driver....
    Could be a bad relay. Have someone press the horn while you find out where the clicking sound is coming from & replace that relay. It could be under the hood by the fuse box. That or you have a short somewhere else. Good luck.

3. Mar 7, 2011 at 4:23 PM
    lotsoftoys

lotsoftoys pavement is boring....

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    98 lifted panda taco
    bunch of crap
    wonder if the clock spring is broken? but you'd have an air bag light on.... the horn circuit is the easiest circuit on the whole truck. power-switch-horn-ground. shouldnt be hard to figure it out. have u jumper power to the horn? does it work? make sure u have a good ground?

4. Mar 7, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    Keep it simple. Check for power at the horn when you press the pad. Back track from there. If the relay clicks when you press the horn pad, you are getting power to it. Check for power out from the relay to the horn when pressing the pad, if no power, replace the relay and if powered, check at the horn itself for power. If you have power there and no horn, then check the ground. if the ground is good and you have power at the horn and you have no sound the horn is bad.

Products Discussed in

To Top