1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Extremely tight Camshaft bolt 2.7

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by toyotabreaker, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Mar 7, 2011 at 1:28 PM
    toyotabreaker

toyotabreaker [OP] New Member

Member:
    puget sound
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5 2.7 Taco 4x4
    LC Engineering Header, not going overboard with mods this time...
    I'm replacing a blown head gasket on my 99 Tacoma 2.7L.

I'm attempting to break loose a camshaft bolt that holds the cam gear to the camshaft. This is the newer head style w/o the distributor. Everything was going smooth until this one bolt. Which direction loosens this bolt (is it reverse thread?), I'm hesitant to apply much more pressure without knowing.

The manual states it should be torqued to 54 ft/lbs, but I'm exceeding the by a fair amount...Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Mar 7, 2011 at 1:31 PM
    AZBACKCOUNTRY

AZBACKCOUNTRY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    AZ-between the hammer and the anvil
    Vehicle:
    11' AC TRD OFF-ROAD 4x4
    Pelfreybilt front aluminum bumper,AVID off road weld on sliders, RCI Offroad IFS & transmission Skid (steel), RCI LCA skids (aluminum),upper grillcraft, relentless hi clearance bumper,OEM color matched front grill color, ARE MX camper shell, wet Okole realtree seat covers,pelfreybuilt hi lift mounts,ICON 2.5 Coil-overs extended,, ICON tubular UCA's. Allpro expo leafs, SS extended brake lines.Bilstein 110 extended rear shocks.prinsu Cabrac.dwreck pod mounts OKLED 18w cubes.Baja Designs Squadron-R Sport, LED Wide Cornering, Ambers fog/driving 20" IGGY LED Single Row bar.tepui awning,rotopax 2 gallon, TREDs and mount , 100 watt renogy solar panel.victron 20 amp Bluetooth charge controller,Pro comp wheels - cooper st maxx 285/75/16 tires. Skygear bussman fuse relay smart box. ARB 12v plug hard wired for ARB fridge. Pelfreybilt gas tank skid. Smittybilt X2O 10K winch
    I'm not sure which way it turns....but I would get some PB Blaster liquid (any automotive store) and squirt it with that REAL GOOD.......I works wonders. Let it set for a bit and try again.

Az

3. Mar 8, 2011 at 9:00 AM
    toyotabreaker

toyotabreaker [OP] New Member

Member:
    puget sound
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5 2.7 Taco 4x4
    LC Engineering Header, not going overboard with mods this time...
    Your right about the penetrating oil. Several hours of marinating, a 18v impact gun, and just a few seconds and she popped right off. Turns out it was standard treads, not reverse.

Thanks,

Matt

Products Discussed in

To Top