1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4X4 problems need help!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tt01, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Mar 8, 2011 at 3:57 PM
    tt01

tt01 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canal Fulton Ohio
    Vehicle:
    01 tacoma 6" suspension lift
    35" tires, 15" wheels 6" suspension lift (fabtech),
    I have a 01 4X4 tacoma single cab 2.7L with a 6" fabtech lift and 35" tires I have had it for over 2 years now and the four wheel drive has worked perfect but now when you put it in four wheel drive it goes in indicater light comes on and it is fine till it gets a strain on it like going up a hill or going thru deep snow or mud then its like it doesnt totally engage the way it sounds is like the front wheels are coming unlocked and they bang in and out of fourwheel drive the rear wheels always spin but the front its like it slips in and out then when i go to disengage it from 4X4 the light goes off and only rear wheels spin till i start going down the road then it like slams into 4X4 like its not completly disengaged any info would be a huge help here thanks so much i am not fimiliar with auto locking hubs or half shafts all my other trucks have been straight axles

2. Nov 4, 2017 at 3:07 PM
    MadbumsBum

MadbumsBum Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    Bumping this from years ago. I think I have a similar issue although not nearly as extreme. It's just that when I leave it in 4x4 and then start it up again, it feels like it is "slipping" until I get to maybe 5/10 mph then it fully engages and rides fine. If I put it back in 2wd and then back to 4x4 the problem is solved. Did you fix your problem? Anybody out there have advice? Thank you.

3. Nov 5, 2017 at 10:38 AM
    MadbumsBum

MadbumsBum Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    Starting to think that perhaps this is just from turning too tightly to get out of my parking spot. Could the answer be so simple?

Products Discussed in

To Top