Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Need some LIFT KIT ADVICE!

Old 03-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
LilRedYota is a splendid one to beholdLilRedYota is a splendid one to beholdLilRedYota is a splendid one to beholdLilRedYota is a splendid one to beholdLilRedYota is a splendid one to beholdLilRedYota is a splendid one to beholdLilRedYota is a splendid one to behold

Coast Guard: Father's USCG
Name: Candice
LilRedYota's Tacoma Gallery
Need some LIFT KIT ADVICE!

Alright...heres where im at...I got the money to get a lift. ive been looking around and found this:
2.5" Kit w/Front Spacers & rear ToyTec AALs

I got an '01 4x4 taco with the trd suspension.

You can copy and paste it to google to find it.
I know some stuff about lifts but not enough to know if im gettin a good buy or if im gettin everything i need. so i got some questions:

1. Is this a good product?
2. What rear shocks will i need?
3. Anyone know anything better for about the same money?

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #2
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
1. It is a spacer lift so its not the best, heres a light read http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post2447865

2. depends on the amount of rear lift, but more than likely a set of 5100s will work fine

3. yes 5100s for the front or old man emu coils
Old 03-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #3
LilRedYota is a splendid one to beholdLilRedYota is a splendid one to beholdLilRedYota is a splendid one to beholdLilRedYota is a splendid one to beholdLilRedYota is a splendid one to beholdLilRedYota is a splendid one to beholdLilRedYota is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
1. It is a spacer lift so its not the best, heres a light read http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post2447865

2. depends on the amount of rear lift, but more than likely a set of 5100s will work fine

3. yes 5100s for the front or old man emu coils

yea i gotcha. i mean i go huntin and what-not so offroading happens atleast 3 times a month...think spacers would still be bad then?
Old 03-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #4
tacojunkie is on a distinguished road

Name: jason
tacojunkie's Tacoma Gallery
fabtek makes a 3-3.5" kit for 2wd or 4wd replacing springs front and rear shocks and it adds a leaf in the rear for less than 700 with basic shocks a little over a 1000 for dirt logics
Old 03-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacojunkie View Post
fabtek makes a 3-3.5" kit for 2wd or 4wd replacing springs front and rear shocks and it adds a leaf in the rear for less than 700 with basic shocks a little over a 1000 for dirt logics
Yea im just lookin for a 2.5-3" kit...and plus i dont have that money right now haha.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brown View Post
Aww man to I have to tell a girl, and a fellow coastie, to use the search function? That will make me sad.

How much money are you ok with spending, what are your goals with the lift?
Haha yea my Dad's a coastie i thought i should represent haha

and basically i want it for more ground clearance....i got 300-400 bucks to spend...i mean i know i wont get anything like fab tech for that money but still.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #10

Quote:
For $400? Is that total? Remember you'll have to get it aligned after the install. That will be $100+/-
yea but see i got some buddies that know how to install it so im hoping to get some pity work out of them haha.

ive been thinking spacers but everyone tells me theyre garbage. i mean i got offroading and stuff but my buddy has spacers on his truck and hes had them on for over a year and got them used and has had no trouble so im not really sure what to do.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:58 PM   #11

Quote:
$400? Is that total? Remember you'll have to get it aligned after the install. That will be $100+/- . Are you installing yourself?
what about this?:

Daystar 2-1/2 inch Lift Kit - 1996-2004 2/4wd Tacoma 6 lug - Front Strut Spacers, Rear Add-a-Leafs, Bump Stops & Shock Boots
Old 03-08-2011, 10:11 PM   #12
Mr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Active MK 02-09, ME 09-10, Reserve ME 10-11, LTJG 11-Current.  Federal Civilian 10-Current
Mr. Brown's Tacoma Gallery
You know that moment everybody has where at some point they go "Man, I should have listened to that guy."? This could be your moment one day.

You probably won't be very happy with spacers. At best your truck will ride worse than it does now, and won't be much better off road. At worst you can have a failure like you may have seen in the link posted by that guy above. Some people have them and are ok, but most aren't. They are harder to resale because not many people want them, and at some point you'll probably want to sell them (probably to go with something better.)

If I were you, I'd spend some time looking on the for sale thread. If you are even a little patient, you will be able to find a better kit, for a better deal.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:11 PM   #13
^^ I no longer have a PreRunner
99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
99PreRunner.'s Tacoma Gallery
Honestly, after a TON of research, I wouldn't recommend daystar or any kind of spacer. Because you will eventually wear out your front suspension and end up wasting money and get mad how your truck rides. Save up and do it right the first time. Check out my build. I'm glad I saved up a little more money. Hope this helps.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #14
Mr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Active MK 02-09, ME 09-10, Reserve ME 10-11, LTJG 11-Current.  Federal Civilian 10-Current
Mr. Brown's Tacoma Gallery
Have you heard of this kit?
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/9504tacoadjbils.htm
Probably one of the most popular cheap lifts. get these bilsteins plus an AAL and your good to go.

If you buy this new, you're looking at $575 total(including alignment). Your friends will be able to help you install this easily. I'm sure you could save up another $175 right. You'll be much happier in the long run. If you buy used you can probably get this close to the $300 range
Old 03-08-2011, 10:17 PM   #15

Quote:
You know that moment everybody has where at some point they go "Man, I should have listened to that guy."? This could be your moment one day.

You probably won't be very happy with spacers. At best your truck will ride worse than it does now, and won't be much better off road. At worst you can have a failure like you may have seen in the link posted by that guy above. Some people have them and are ok, but most aren't. They are harder to resale because not many people want them, and at some point you'll probably want to sell them (probably to go with something better.)

If I were you, I'd spend some time looking on the for sale thread. If you are even a little patient, you will be able to find a better kit, for a better deal.
right, ive been looking more and more at the spacers and im kinda turned off by them...im gonna save up. i get like 100 bucks a week so maybe after like 2 months i can get whats good and what i really want. thanks for all your help!

coastie to coastie!
Old 03-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #17

Quote:
No problem. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Will do!