1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

shopping for Tacoma

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by CREEKRAT, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Mar 10, 2011 at 10:51 AM
    CREEKRAT

CREEKRAT [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    david
    Murrells Inlet, SC
    Vehicle:
    Shopping for Tacoma
    Hello to All,:D I am new to the forum and need some info. I am shopping for an a first gen. tacoma or earlier model. I was talking to my mechanic friend that owns two late eighty model 4wd ex cab toyotas 4cyl. models. He says he gets 18 mpg average, but some of his hunting buddies are getting 22 mpg with their 6 cyl. auto.s He didn't know what engine size they had or the year he only said that they had the smaller of two engine sizes, and that if you looked under the hood that they had plenty of room to work. versus other 6cyl. he had seen that the whole engine compartment looked full. Hope this isn't too dumb a question, but I would like to find an early model truck with 6 cyl. auto that gets the best mileage! Thanks for your help

2. Mar 10, 2011 at 11:12 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    If those v6s are pre-95, they are not Tacomas, and they have the 3.0 V6, which was prone to blowing headgaskets.... I don't know all the details around the issues and solutions for this, because I had a 4-banger 22RE (2.4 L), which will run until hell freezes over, then drive over the ice...but is underpowered for bigger than standard cab plus 4x4 models, especially in mountains. Although in 4 low, it will still crawl up a wall. Tacoma V6s are 3.4 L.

Products Discussed in

To Top