1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Disc brake rear ends.......

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by sublime423, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Mar 11, 2011 at 6:19 PM
    sublime423

sublime423 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    no truck
    Hello everyone. I am looking for some information about Tacoma rear ends. No, I don't own a Tacoma or any truck for that matter. I have a 1964 Chevy Impala convertible project and want four wheel disc brakes.

For those who are wondering why I am interested in such a swap, it's for the clearance. To run a reverse wheel and fender skirts the rear end must be either shortened or swapped out. Most people that do this and want rear disc usually have to run a Ford 9in rear from a late 70's Lincoln Versailles, needless to say this is not the easiest thing in the world to find much less maintaining.

I have seen tacoma rear ends ran in them but they all had drum brakes. I figured I would come ask people that might be able to help with better information than I getting from the other places I worked.

Basically I want to know which ones came with rear disc, if not who would make a good rear disc conversion kit and what I would be looking at ball park wise as far as an investment going this route.

Thanks
    Mike

2. Mar 11, 2011 at 6:24 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    tacomas have never had discs. Not sure about the conversions but the frontiers have discs from like '05+ I think if that helps.

3. Mar 11, 2011 at 6:32 PM
    sublime423

sublime423 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    no truck
    Ok makes since that I never saw them

I'm not sure about Nissan's either.....I would have to do some looking and measuring.

I am sure it goes without saying all the brackets would be cut off and new ones welded on to fit my application.

Thanks for the info guys

4. Mar 11, 2011 at 6:48 PM
    Killer

Killer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobile, Al.
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 TRD V6 3.4L SR5 XCab Gold with Tan Int
    19,000 Original Miles, Factory Alarm, Factory Tow Package, Low Profile UWS Black Tool Box, 20ft. of Dynamat Xtreme, Pioneer Double Din DVD 3200BT, IPod Holder, Q Form Kick Panels, 3 Pairs of MB Quart component speakers, JL Audio Stealthbox, Alpine PDX-5 amp, PIAA Foglights, WeatherTech Floor Mats, Maxxis Big Horn Mud Tires 32 x 11.5 R x 15, Wet Okole Seat Cover for 60/40 Bench, 5100's Front & Rear, Wheeler's Single Leaf AAL, Warn 8,000 Winch, Warn Transformer Brush Guard, Stebel Nautilus Compact Horn
    My Shelby Cobra came with a big bearing 9 inch Ford with drum brakes. Ford Motorsports had disk conversion that fits perfect. From what I remember, I had to change the outer bearing on the shaft but, that depends on which 9 inch you have.

If want to do it on the cheap, you might can find an early 90's model Explorer. Some Explorers had big bearing 8.8 inch that from what I remember fits on a 9 inch.

Please do your research though because it has been 10 years or so, since I did my Cobra project.

5. Mar 11, 2011 at 7:16 PM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    Ford 8.8 out of 2000ish explorers are a straight swap to a tacoma.. but if you're doing a custom job.. you really could go with ANY axle..

Products Discussed in

To Top