Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Boot Slide mod. No more blowing cv boots.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #21
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
i just removed my clamps,,, got some pimping hose clamps and pulled the boot down the shaft ....tighten the shit out of it with your hose clamps and 10,000 miles later i am still good and i my cv boot fins dont rub anymore...
Old 08-17-2011, 02:07 PM   #22
DAMNDUKE is on a distinguished road
Name: Duke
DAMNDUKE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang123 View Post
i just removed my clamps,,, got some pimping hose clamps and pulled the boot down the shaft ....tighten the shit out of it with your hose clamps and 10,000 miles later i am still good and i my cv boot fins dont rub anymore...
So you used the old boot and clamped it down. But did you take your cvs apart to put the old boot on? I have 2 brand new Cv shafts that I'm putting in my truck and the boots are already assembled. I was going to unclamp the new boots slide them down, cut what I need from the old one, then make another cut so I can just POP it over the shaft and clamp it. I don't think there should be any problem with doing it that way.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #23
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

take your new cv axles and trash the clips on the upper boot on the lower portion of the boot. (confusing sorry).... you have your upper boot with 2 clamps and your lower boot with 2 clamps...take the smaller "shaft clamp" off the upper boot on the cv axle slide it ("it" being the boot) down the shaft till you think your fins have a large enough gap between each other then tighten the shit out of it with a hose clamp inplace of the original upper boot lower clamp spot.... (again if that makes any sence)....this is what i did and it has worked great.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #24
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Where is the best place to get a hose clamp the correct size? Would an auto parts store have what I'm looking for?
Old 08-17-2011, 02:57 PM   #25
-Don-
donaldwagner is a name known to alldonaldwagner is a name known to alldonaldwagner is a name known to alldonaldwagner is a name known to alldonaldwagner is a name known to alldonaldwagner is a name known to all

Name: Donald
donaldwagner's Tacoma Gallery
nah forget them just put that wagoneer axle under it
Old 08-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #26
DAMNDUKE is on a distinguished road
Name: Duke
DAMNDUKE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang123 View Post
take your new cv axles and trash the clips on the upper boot on the lower portion of the boot. (confusing sorry).... you have your upper boot with 2 clamps and your lower boot with 2 clamps...take the smaller "shaft clamp" off the upper boot on the cv axle slide it ("it" being the boot) down the shaft till you think your fins have a large enough gap between each other then tighten the shit out of it with a hose clamp inplace of the original upper boot lower clamp spot.... (again if that makes any sence)....this is what i did and it has worked great.
i see what your saying. would a regular hose clamp like this work?
http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CGwQ8gIwAw#

or is there something more heavy duty needed?
Old 08-19-2011, 09:59 AM   #27

http://mountainhomebrew.com/ProductI...pment/1353.jpg

like that (your link didn't work for me)

FIND A CLAMP THAT FITS IN BETWEEN THE GROOVES ON THE END OF THE BOOT!!! Take off the old clamp and you will see what i am talking about. there are raised lips on either side of the stock clamp and find a hose clamp narrow enough to fit in the same spot as the old clamp.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #28
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I did this today, love it! My inside boots rub no more!
Old 08-29-2011, 01:12 AM   #30
Whyareyoureadingthis?

Just get hose clamps, loosen your cv boot and slide it down the axle until the fins don't touch then tighten them down with the hose clamp.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:33 AM   #32
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd. lift going on soon.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:33 AM   #33
Whyareyoureadingthis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
cool I think ill do that then asap. What size should I get of you know...
I just went to Auto Zone and eye-balled it.

I've been almost 900 miles and no slips yet.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #35
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacountryboy-IXI View Post
I just went to Auto Zone and eye-balled it.

I've been almost 900 miles and no slips yet.

thats the thing i was wondering about. will this method eventually allow the clamp to slip back down the axle?
Old 09-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #36
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomadude89 View Post
I did the mod today on the inner boots, works well and fins are not touching anymore.

Like somebody else in this thread mentioned earlier, how about the outer boots? Shouldn't those be done as well?
i have a 3" lift and the fins on the outter boots are not touching. its just the inners.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #37
Whyareyoureadingthis?

If you seal them up with rtv sealant and really clamp them down tight, they aren't going anywhere
Old 09-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #38
ttran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant future

Name: Tim
ttran's Tacoma Gallery
So essentially you don't need an extra boot or anything to do this. Just get some hose clamps, take off the old clamp, stretch the boot out further and reclamp it down? Sorry I'm not really following haha
Old 09-11-2011, 03:30 PM   #39
Whyareyoureadingthis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttran View Post
So essentially you don't need an extra boot or anything to do this. Just get some hose clamps, take off the old clamp, stretch the boot out further and reclamp it down? Sorry I'm not really following haha
Right. You can do the Ttora method, but that requires removal of the Axle.

This is simply pulling your factory boot clamp off and tossing it
sliding the boot down until the inner fins don't rub
then (optional) applying Rtv sealant to the area you're going to be clamping
finally clamping the hose clamp down with a socket wrench until it's very tight.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #40
ttran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant futurettran has a brilliant future

Name: Tim
ttran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacountryboy-IXI View Post
Right. You can do the Ttora method, but that requires removal of the Axle.

This is simply pulling your factory boot clamp off and tossing it
sliding the boot down until the inner fins don't rub
then (optional) applying Rtv sealant to the area you're going to be clamping
finally clamping the hose clamp down with a socket wrench until it's very tight.
Alright, Thanks! Going to try this tonight. I've changed out 3 sets of cv's within the past year. Hopefully this will work for for me.