LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Boot Slide mod. No more blowing cv boots.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #81
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr97tacoma View Post
my shaft doesnt work without lube...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr97tacoma View Post
I lube my shaft every night...
Is there something you're trying to tell us?
Old 09-17-2011, 06:56 AM   #82
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacountryboy-IXI View Post
Fixed

Sorry, I tried sealing my keyboard and now some of the keys are sticking.
maybe you shouldnt have used sealant!
Old 09-17-2011, 06:59 AM   #83
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacountryboy-IXI View Post
Well, there really wasn't a need for it, but I figured I would so I could tell everyone else to do it.

this was good you got me

still doesnt prove anything against me butt.... even made me laugh at my own argument lol
Old 10-06-2011, 03:40 AM   #88
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Yea thats not the hard part. Sliding the actual boot is lol
idk about on first gens, but on mine I just cleaned the shaft real good and slid it around a little till it popped over the ridge.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #90
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
lol yea your boots aren't as old lol
Haha good point
Old 10-09-2011, 12:06 PM   #91
Alpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Ruben
Alpha Q Up's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not very familiar with axle. Is there a step to step write up with pictures maybe even a video?

Does this need to be done after the installation of a lift or before?
Old 10-11-2011, 09:22 AM   #93
scott8357 is on a distinguished road

scott8357's Tacoma Gallery
I am going to be doing this boot slide mod...any thoughts on using grit tape on the shaft with a hose clamp (clamping to the edge of the tape, so none of the actual grit is beyond the clamp!!)...vs the RTV?
Old 10-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #94

the grip tape would break down over time (if you talking about athletic grip tape) where as the sealant would not. (still believe you dont need the sealant)
Old 10-11-2011, 12:30 PM   #95
scott8357 is on a distinguished road

scott8357's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang123 View Post
the grip tape would break down over time (if you talking about athletic grip tape) where as the sealant would not. (still believe you dont need the sealant)

I was thinking of the grit tape you see used on stair steps or high traffic areas...they sell it at home depot and other fix it stores. (its like sandpaper on one side and sticky on the other)
Old 11-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #96
crainz277 has a brilliant futurecrainz277 has a brilliant futurecrainz277 has a brilliant futurecrainz277 has a brilliant futurecrainz277 has a brilliant futurecrainz277 has a brilliant futurecrainz277 has a brilliant futurecrainz277 has a brilliant futurecrainz277 has a brilliant futurecrainz277 has a brilliant futurecrainz277 has a brilliant future

crainz277's Tacoma Gallery
I wondered about this "boot slide mod" and didn't understand why people didn't just use a hose clamp...I know now that hose clamps are just as good. Replacing my cv axles this week and I'm gonna hose clamp the inner boots when I do it. : )
Old 11-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #97
Phuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhuket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
Phuket's Tacoma Gallery
probably gonna do this tomorrow, anyone have any advice like stuff they would have done differently the second time? any advice on getting the stock boot clamp off? thanks
Old 01-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #98
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
I just replaced the left boot and when installing the new one I simply cleaned the shaft and clamped the boot (with a stock style strap) there. I'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes.
The right side i just took side cutters and cut the old strap off, cleaned the shaft, pulled the boot out, and put a narrow hose clamp on. Easy as pie, took about 5 minutes since I already had the wheels off.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #99
logan56 is on a distinguished road
Army: power generation
Name: Logan
logan56's Tacoma Gallery
how ab just doing a transfer case drop solves the problem all the way im a mechanic at toyota so it works trust me
Old 01-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #100
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Have a diff drop, may help but didn't solve the problem.