1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

overload springs 2001TRD 4x4

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by pilotj, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Mar 17, 2011 at 1:35 PM
    pilotj

pilotj [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Grand Mesa, CO
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 226,000 like new!
    Deck plate w/baffle, grey wire mod, defroster switch mod, LED footlights, LED cap lights, magnetic theft deterent...
    My overload spring application. I looking at the air bags but for $250 and I only need them rarely it didn't make sense.
    I picked up coil overload springs ay Advance Auto Parts for $30 and they are perfect. They give you 500lbs of additional load capability.
    I didn't use the mounting kit included.
    I put heater hose around the end coils to prevent noise. Then jacked up the frame and positioned the spring so it would fit over the bottom out bumpers. Then lowered the jack and the springs are held in position by the rubber bumpers.
    IMPORTANT! Use a large wire tie and run it through the hole in the frame above the spring, then through the coil spring to secure it in place. That will prevent the coil spring from popping out if you hit a good bump.
    I came home one day and one was gone. You don't want to kill someone.

THIS INSTALL IS ONLY FOR TEMPORARY USE. (Moving, trips, etc)

IMG_20110317_162146.jpg
    IMG_20110317_162126.jpg
    IMG_20110317_162058.jpg

2. Mar 17, 2011 at 2:25 PM
    SlimDigg

SlimDigg We Back!!

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    Coming Soon....
    nice. rep up

3. Mar 17, 2011 at 2:31 PM
    Zanamoe

Zanamoe Future ruler of the world!

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Grey Off-Road Only
    3" Pro Comp lift kit, Moto Metal black wheels, Pro Comp. Xtreme TA tires, Cobra CB radio with PA, custom rear light bar, rear tailgater deterrent lights, desert whip mount, tinted windows, black headlight mod and blacked fog lights, GrillCraft black mesh grill, Tacoma bed mat, extra d-ring mod, behind grill light bar, hid 700ff Hellas, blacked emblems, Maglite mount, flipped spare, fogs anytime, washable cabin air filter, AFE pro dry airfilter, Redline hood struts, led interior lights, Magnaflow muffler, 18" Stubby antenna
    looks good. thought about welding the springs to the frame just in case those zipties were to fail? anyways still looks good

4. Mar 17, 2011 at 2:47 PM
    pilotj

pilotj [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Grand Mesa, CO
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 226,000 like new!
    Deck plate w/baffle, grey wire mod, defroster switch mod, LED footlights, LED cap lights, magnetic theft deterent...
    You don't want to weld springs. (Heat springs) Temporary use only.
    The wire ties don't have any pressure on them, they keep the spring from popping out if leaf spring relaxes all the way. Just a safety item. Not really a problem when you are carrying a load.
    And last, the springs are removed after the trip/move/haul. This is NOT a permanent install.
    Easily removed, drive one rear tire onto curb to relax opposite spring, cut tie and remove spring. Back to normal ride and hight.

Products Discussed in

To Top