Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Sleeping Platform Ideas/Picts

Old 03-18-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
1x1's Tacoma Gallery
Sleeping Platform Ideas/Picts

Anyone have pictures/ideas for a sleeping platform in the bed of my truck? I found a cap last weekend on now I need a place to sleep. I've seen the baja taco site and looking for some additional ideas, nothing too complicated. My cap doesn't have WIN-doors unfortunately so I don't need a bunch of hatches.

Also interested in seeing what anyone has done for fishing rod storage. Steelhead season is just around the corner so I need to get this project started this weekend.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going to be building one in a few months
Old 03-18-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a platform in mine (see my gallery) but I'm a 2nd Gen... But, the reason I posted is because I found something to keep in mind when building a platform... have some way to get things that slide to the front of the bed under the platform. I've got 2 removable panels at the front of the bed that can lifted out without having to lift the whole platform. I also used all pressure treated 3/4" plywood for everything. Probably overkill but it will last forever.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #4
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I've got a platform in mine (see my gallery) but I'm a 2nd Gen... But, the reason I posted is because I found something to keep in mind when building a platform... have some way to get things that slide to the front of the bed under the platform. I've got 2 removable panels at the front of the bed that can lifted out without having to lift the whole platform. I also used all pressure treated 3/4" plywood for everything. Probably overkill but it will last forever.

Yeah I'm doing the same thing HD had cabinet grade ply on sale and I picked up 10 sheets for projects around the house I just might use that. I'm also going to make compartments under it for storage.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:57 AM   #5
WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST
BeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeefTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Look around http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/ plenty to look at.

Just a couple I found.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ead.php?t=9034

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=47516
Old 03-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
In case you are not aware of it , one of the main ingredients in CCA preservative , used in most pressure treated plywood , is arsenic .
Old 03-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #7
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Yeah I'm doing the same thing HD had cabinet grade ply on sale and I picked up 10 sheets for projects around the house I just might use that. I'm also going to make compartments under it for storage.
Good idea! I found some plastic totes at Walmart that fit underneath the platform perfectly. I keep my jumper cables, light tools, towing stuff and camping stuff in there so the totes keep everything sealed and dry. The whole platform was built specifically so it can come apart in pieces in case I need the full height of the cap. I think with less than 10 screws I can have the thing apart and out of the bed.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #8
homesweettaco is on a distinguished road

EMS:
Name: Mark
homesweettaco's Tacoma Gallery
I rebuilt mine last summer and went with something much like this: http://blog.trango.com/2010/03/09/th...pickup-trucks/

Simple, light, and easy to remove for larger cargo. I keep a stick-clip on hand which I use more for pulling shit out of the truck than for climbing, it's just a plastic extend-able painters' pole with a 2" spring clamp hose-clamped on the end, the spring clamp handle makes the perfect hook.

I found a roll of indoor/outdoor carpet at home depot for about $15. Stapled onto the plywood it makes for a cozy surface. This summer I'm thinking about picking up a memory foam mattress topper so I don't have to blow up a stupid thermarest every night.

If I were a fisherman I would put a pvc pipe on the underside of the plywood.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:12 PM   #9

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
In case you are not aware of it , one of the main ingredients in CCA preservative , used in most pressure treated plywood , is arsenic .
Unfortunately, I know it's some nasty stuff! My girlfriend thought I was being goofy when I used a painter's mask when I cut it up but I don't want to be breathing that crap. That is also the reason I won't leave my dog back there alone unless he's crated. I'm going to carpet it using outdoor carpet this summer to cover it up and keep the dog from chewing on it (he's at least trained well enough to leave carpet alone). Good tip though, I'm sure that could easily be overlooked if you're not around it very often or not familiar with it. Home Depot or Lowe's certainly isn't going to mention it when you buy it...

BTW, I think this adds to the count of useful posts!
Old 03-18-2011, 12:15 PM   #10
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Here is another member's setup. I thought it was pretty sweet!

Old 03-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #11
Reverend is on a distinguished road
Name: David
Reverend's Tacoma Gallery
sleeping platform

Hey,

I'm so glad I can contribute to a discussion finally! I used to tour in my tacoma, which meant sleeping in the back after gigs every night. I made it easy and simple.

I cut a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 plywood into three pieces lengthwise and rounded the corners off so i could get them into the truck.

I rested them on the ledge of the cap and they didn't need any reinforcement. I didn't secure them in any way, they just stayed where they were and I put a futon mattress on top. Really comfortable and all my music gear went underneath.

I slept out in all kinds of cold weather and was always snug and dry and comfortable.

Good luck.

Rev.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #12
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
I have a buddy who did one:
http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=111141

check out posts # 1,26 & 27

Old 03-18-2011, 12:30 PM   #13
TacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jackson
TacomaJack09's Tacoma Gallery
Here's my current fishing rod set up.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:01 PM   #16
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Unfortunately, I know it's some nasty stuff! My girlfriend thought I was being goofy when I used a painter's mask when I cut it up but I don't want to be breathing that crap. That is also the reason I won't leave my dog back there alone unless he's crated. I'm going to carpet it using outdoor carpet this summer to cover it up and keep the dog from chewing on it (he's at least trained well enough to leave carpet alone). Good tip though, I'm sure that could easily be overlooked if you're not around it very often or not familiar with it. Home Depot or Lowe's certainly isn't going to mention it when you buy it...

BTW, I think this adds to the count of useful posts!
Lol , just wanted to make sure you knew . We wear respirators when we have to deal with that stuff .
Old 03-18-2011, 10:50 PM   #17
campintruck is on a distinguished road
Name: Frank
campintruck's Tacoma Gallery
I built this platform soon after I purchased an A.R.E. camper shell. The side cargo boxes are mounted behind the bed rails with stainless steel screws. I keep these in my truck at all times. I'm lucky that I'm 5'-7'' because it's a little tight being a 2001 dbl cab Tacoma. I've slept a few nights by myself and some with my son. I wanted the platforms to be easily removed so I can haul stuff around. I keep items for the truck in the cargo boxes such as : jumper cables, shovel, axe, water, first aid kit,etc.. I also keep my jack in them because it alot easier to get them out since I have car seats for my two boys. I bought the double ultimate self-inflating pad from Cabelas. The pad fits perfect on the width but I have to fold the end up. I laminated the top surface of the platform and carpeted the cargo lids. Since taking these pictures, I've made boxes that slide under platforms. I hope this helps.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:44 AM   #18
magog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud of

magog45's Tacoma Gallery
I usually just throw some old carpet and an air mattress on the floor, but then I don't often go out overnight when fishing, it's all pretty close here.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:39 PM   #19
1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1x1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
1x1's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the ideas. Some of that carpentry is really great, mine won't be. I'm in the process of painting my cap so the platform will have to wait a week or so.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:49 PM   #20
Banned
Sixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixfeathers is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kreg
Sixfeathers's Tacoma Gallery
$60.00 and a sleeping bag. Here is my thought. If your just looking for being off the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Sleeping Platform Ideas/Picts-deluxefoldingcot.jpg