Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

GRINDING NOISE COMING FROM DRIVER SD FRONT WHEEL!!

Old 03-20-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
knee2belly is on a distinguished road
knee2belly's Tacoma Gallery
GRINDING NOISE COMING FROM DRIVER SD FRONT WHEEL!!

hey everybody i was hoping someone could help me out, i got a loud grinding, metal on metal sounding noise coming from my driver side front wheel on my 03 tacoma. this has been going on for a couple months now but starting getting really bad the last couple of weeks ago, every time i would jack the truck up to see what it is i couldnt find anything nothing loose no marks or scratches so i started thinking it could be the wheel bearing. jacked it up again shook wheel left to right there was a small amount of play but looked like it was just the steering, spun the tire and now i could here a little bit of noise so i figured thats gotta be it. changed both side wheel bearings.....still have the problem. if anyone here could give me some advice on what else it could be i would really appreciate it! oh and something i notice, i only hear it in between 5-20 miles and hour and it seems like it might make more noise when i turn right. also i have a manual locking hub conversion. thanks guys.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
Tacomas FTMFW!!!!
sir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud of

Name: John
sir1123's Tacoma Gallery
your brake pads worn down? chexh to see if that tin dust sheild behind the rotors isnt bent and hitting the rotors...this happened to me and it only happened between those speeds to and real bad on right turns. i just took the wheel off and bent it back alittle with my hand. i think i bet it while putting my tires on
Old 03-21-2011, 12:38 AM   #3
ya i checked the brakes and everything is good, i cant find anything that is bent or scratched or rubbing. i was thinking maybe my manual locking hub is no good but im not sure how exactly to tell.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:05 AM   #4
Brad H is on a distinguished road
Air Force: TSgt
Brad H's Tacoma Gallery
Try bending your dust shields back as Sir said. Mine was doing the same thing when I first bought the truck. Even though it didn't look like they touched I did it anyways and poof no more noise.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:02 AM   #5
ywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
does it go away when you engage 4wd?
Old 03-21-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
yesterday i took the cap of my driver side hub and there was no grease in there so i packed a bunch in then put the cap on put it in 4 wheel drive drove it for a couple of minutes (no noise) then got out unlocked the hubs, disengaged 4 wheel drive and so far i don't hear any noise! so i don't know if its fixed but its not making the noise anymore. what do you guys think?
Old 03-21-2011, 11:17 PM   #7
well truck started making the same noise again so im guessing its the locking hub, anyway to tell how its bad aside from this noise?
Old 07-05-2011, 07:13 PM   #8
NSP is on a distinguished road
NSP's Tacoma Gallery
knee2belly

I think I have the same noise, I took it to a local repair shop, as I thought is could be the passenger bearing. It gets bad as I drive at about 20 or so mph at a gradual turn to the right. It appears to be getting worse as I now hear it even when going straight. It will stop when I apply the brake slightly. Could this possibly be a hung up brake caliper?

What was wrong this your truck?
Old 07-06-2011, 07:07 PM   #9
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have a wheel grinding too... I found it to be the noisemaker thing on the brake pad to tell you when it's getting thin. Mine goes away as soon as I hit the brakes though, which is weird but in order to understand it you just have to see it. I'm assuming you've eliminated the brakes as a culprit already?
Old 07-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #10
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by knee2belly View Post
yesterday i took the cap of my driver side hub and there was no grease in there so i packed a bunch in then put the cap on put it in 4 wheel drive drove it for a couple of minutes (no noise) then got out unlocked the hubs, disengaged 4 wheel drive and so far i don't hear any noise! so i don't know if its fixed but its not making the noise anymore. what do you guys think?
Quote:
well truck started making the same noise again so im guessing its the locking hub, anyway to tell how its bad aside from this noise?

When you did the manual hub conversion did you re-pack the bearings with grease ?? I ask this because you said you threw some grease into dust cap which could temporarily stop your noise but unless the bearings are packed correctly (by forcing grease into the bearing/bearing race)

They're still going to be dry, this assuming you KNOW its not thin pads wearing against the rotor....
Old 07-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #11
.<>./
capetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

capetaco12's Tacoma Gallery
Jack the tire off the ground spin the wheel. If its a bearing you should be able to grab the tire at 12 and 6 and there might be a bit of wobble. Spin the tire if you hear a grinding (not the cv binding) probably a wheel bearing. If it is the brakes there is a possibility you have a frozen caliper that wont retract causing the brake pad to be permanantly applied to the rotor.
Edit: if it is a frozen caliper one of your pads could be completley worn and the other pad still in perfect shape.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:29 AM   #12
had the hub conversion done by a well known shop in hawaii almost 3 years ago so i dont know if it was re-packed but i would assume they were just by there good reputation. i also changed both side wheel bearings cause it seemed that there was a little bit of play and slight grinding when i jacked the truck off the ground but at the end of the day i got new wheel bearings and still have the same problem. i still havent changed the hubs but that might be my next try.i dont know i might just drive till something really breaks then ill know exactly what its is........i hope.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #13
No Road. No Problem.
03TRDtacotrucker will become famous soon enough03TRDtacotrucker will become famous soon enough

Name: Alex
03TRDtacotrucker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
had the hub conversion done by a well known shop in hawaii almost 3 years ago so i dont know if it was re-packed but i would assume they were just by there good reputation. i also changed both side wheel bearings cause it seemed that there was a little bit of play and slight grinding when i jacked the truck off the ground but at the end of the day i got new wheel bearings and still have the same problem. i still havent changed the hubs but that might be my next try.i dont know i might just drive till something really breaks then ill know exactly what its is........i hope.
there is one thing you dont want to wait and take a chance on and its wheel bearings, waiting to see what happends is just asking for trouble. If you have a bad wheel bearing and hub your running the risk of you driving down the highway and seeing your tire pass you down the road (which is a common thing to happen with wheel bearings that dont get taken care of) Normally when you replace the bearings you would replace the hubs with it since its the same labor to do either or besides needing a bearing press. if you havent replaced the hubs that would be my first plan of action, having the exact same issue with mine just come up the other day so im getting it checked out this weekend. have the same noise at low speed right turns normally (cant hear on highway due to loud ass x terrain tires) so dont know the extent of the wear, but also have a small amount of play on the drivers side where the passenger side has zero play. if you have found an exact fix let me know.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #14
mikeal91 is on a distinguished road
mikeal91's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 91 Toyota Sr5 v6 5 speed manual. And it is making q rubbing nose it wounds like from the. Right front end wheel well sounds like the breaks are sticking but I just replaced the callipers and pads I don't know what to do can someone give me advice pls I am not sure it quits when I put it in 4x4 wheel drive
Old 01-23-2013, 04:57 AM   #15
AZarchitect is on a distinguished road

AZarchitect's Tacoma Gallery
Having same issue on front end. Had the brakes replaced yesterday. Checked both tires for play and only had a slight amount of lay on driver side like many others here. Passenger side had no play at all,,, very tight. I will have the guy swing by again to check for the frozen caliper and the metal thingy that holds the brakes in place. That's a lot cheaper then the wheel bearing quote ($600/wheel, parts and labor) quote I got from dealership.

What was your ballpark replacement cost for those wheel bearings out in hawaii?
Old 01-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #16
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZarchitect View Post
Having same issue on front end. Had the brakes replaced yesterday. Checked both tires for play and only had a slight amount of lay on driver side like many others here. Passenger side had no play at all,,, very tight. I will have the guy swing by again to check for the frozen caliper and the metal thingy that holds the brakes in place. That's a lot cheaper then the wheel bearing quote ($600/wheel, parts and labor) quote I got from dealership.

What was your ballpark replacement cost for those wheel bearings out in hawaii?
Cost me about 500 bucks over here. Problem was still there though.