Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

DIY 1st gen angle iron Bed/Light Bar

Old 03-24-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
geoff06 is a jewel in the roughgeoff06 is a jewel in the roughgeoff06 is a jewel in the rough

geoff06's Tacoma Gallery
DIY 1st gen angle iron Bed/Light Bar

Well, I completed my project for a total of about $50. This is my first writeup, so please bear with me

Necessary for this project are--
-6' length of 2x2" angle iron
-2 6" stainless handles
-2 3/8" dia. bolts/nuts
-4 3/16" bolts /washers/nuts
-power drill with a 3/8" and 3/16" metal cutting bits
-sawzall
-right-angle grinder
-a pair of 55w fog lights (or any other aftermarket lights)

I started out with buying a 6' angle iron
I next measured and cut the angle iron to fit the width of the entire bed top (60.5”—it almost reaches to the outside of my drop-in bedliner on each side). Then I notched out a 3.25” section on each side of the bar with a sawzall. Used a grinder to smooth/even out the cut area.

Then I dryfitted the angle iron to see what I was up against with the position of the future mounting holes

Next, it was time to drill the holes. I initially felt around under the top of the bedsides at the front of the bed and realized that there was an opening in the “inner” element of the 2-piece bedside. I used this as a starting point for where to drill the mounting holes in the bedsides. I drilled one 3/8” hole on each side exactly 4-3/8” back from the front edge of the bed.

After drilling the bed holes, I drilled 5 3/8” holes in the top of the angle iron. 2 mounting holes—1 hole 1” in from each side. 2 holes for mounting my 55w fog lights—1 hole 6” in from each side. And finally 1 hole about 1’ in from the left side for mounting my CB antenna later down the road. Then I drilled the 4 3/16” holes to mount the handles in the rear facing edge of the angle iron.
Next, I sanded the bar down with 220 sandpaper, then sprayed the bar with Duplicolor Truck Bed Coating.

After the bedliner spray had cured, I mounted the lights and handles on it. To ground the lights, I found it convenient to just have the built-in ground wire ends bolted to the bar on the outermost handle bolts. After everything was tightened up, it was time to mount the bar to the bed, using the 3/8” bolts. I held each nut in a socket extension in a bedliner opening just under the bed holes so I could put the bolts through without losing anything under the drop-in liner.

Now time to wire everything up. First I used about 3.5’ of wire with an inline fuse, leading from the engine bay fuse box through the firewall to the switch (I put this switch next to my aftermarket front light switch in my in-cab fusebox cover). 12’ of wire leading from the switch to the drivers side bed light, running back through the firewall, down near the transmission area, along the frame through openings in the bodymounts, and in between the cab/bed with a “Y” terminal at the end (I put this run in a ridged plastic sleeve to protect it from the elements). 4’ of wire from drivers side light to passenger side light.
Here’s my colorful switch setup

And that’s pretty much it. I’m happy with the outcome, as the whole bed bar/light setup doesn’t draw too much attention to itself. Can be used camping, emergency situations, running tailgaters off the road…(JUST KIDDING!)
Thanks for reading!
Old 03-24-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
pics are uhh...
Old 03-24-2011, 07:54 PM   #4
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery

Nicely done!
Old 03-25-2011, 07:57 AM   #7
Not all who wander are lost
01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

01GREENTACO's Tacoma Gallery
I like that a lot. Unfortunately I just got a new camper so I won't have any use for this really. Had I not have just bought the camper, I would be doing this today.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
BSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BSPDX's Tacoma Gallery
Ha... I am doing the same thing! Nice wripte up and pics!
Old 11-24-2011, 09:42 AM   #10
geoff06 is a jewel in the roughgeoff06 is a jewel in the roughgeoff06 is a jewel in the rough

geoff06's Tacoma Gallery
A note to anyone who might make this bar for their truck:

I'm sure most of you will realize that only one mounting bolt per side is not enough to make this thing very stable and usable. A couple months after I made this, I installed an additional mounting bolt on each side. It is way more usable now and solid as a rock
Old 02-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #11
TacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud ofTacoSurf4x4 has much to be proud of
TacoSurf4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up! simple and informative...