1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NEW GUY WANTS TO MOD 98 TACOMA

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by IKE, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Mar 25, 2011 at 10:15 PM
    IKE

IKE [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Washington state
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma 2.7L SR5
    K&N cold air intake
    Hey,
    Ive had my 98 Reg cab 4x4 tacoma for about three years. I love my "mule" and pretty much think it was the best money ever spent. However its time to start doing some mods to make it just that much better. Im open for ideas and got plenty of plans for her already. First its only got a 2.7L. Ive found a 3.4L out of a newer tacoma that I would like to put in mine? Has anyone done it? Any thoughts? Is it worth it?

2. Mar 26, 2011 at 12:18 AM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    well it'll have more power odviously. but i wouldn't think it would be to hard of a swap. You'd need the motor tranny and maybe a new drive shaft and an ecu for the motor. Then you might need custom motor mounts or some sort of fabriaction to make the 3.4l line up.

but i dont really know personally, thats just what id figure cuz supra guys swap jz motors all the time.

But the 2.7l isn't a bad motor by any means. I mean you have the Tacoma in its smallest form :) so the 4 banger should be pullin ya right along no prob. I love my 4 banger in my 86. that thing wasnt super powerful. but it'd take my truck damn near anywhere. Id look at maybe just lifting it and touching up the exterior so it looks great and see where that takes you.

3. Mar 26, 2011 at 8:02 AM
    IKE

IKE [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Washington state
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma 2.7L SR5
    K&N cold air intake
    My 2.7L is awesome. And even with stock gears she has pretty much taken me ever place Ive wanted to go. But now that Im looking into adding big tires and putting on lbs. worth of other gear I think its time to go from 150 hp and 177 ft lbs of tq, to the 3.4L with 190HP and 220 ft lbs of tq. I do have the ECU, Wire harness, 3.4l 6 CYL eng, 5 spd tranny/transfer case, rear d/s and rear diff for this project. The 4.10 rear I have would be upgraded to a TRD 4.87 yukon w/ e locker. The engine and tranny lining up is what Im really curious about. Overall I think it would be a fun project. Im curious though if there is a horror story of someone who tried and it turned out poorly. I agree about making the interior and exterior better. Im gonna change out the stock bench seat for bucket seats, rhino line the cabin floor, put on custom bumpers and put a lift kit somewhere in the 3-4 inch area with either 33-or 35 in tires. But that will all come after all the engine and drive train have been upgraded.

4. Mar 26, 2011 at 11:07 AM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    well shoot man if you have all the parts then do it. but sounds almost like it be worth just buying another truck. but thats your call man! haha if you have the parts, go for it, im sure its possible. Sounds like you could even go SAS if you wanted too

5. Mar 26, 2011 at 3:08 PM
    Quast

Quast Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Mission, BC
    Vehicle:
    03 toyota tacoma 3.4L
    3'' OME lift, Deck plate mod, spidertrax wheel spacers, 12'' alpine type S sub.
    yeah maybe try and find a 3.4 truck out there and mod it out maybe? have the 4 banger for your DD and the 3.4 for your toy! id love to do that but only if i could fund it ahah thats the hard part. but your call man sounds like fun to do though.

6. Mar 26, 2011 at 5:13 PM
    Supra TT

Supra TT Supercharged Lifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R Supercharged
    Supercharged on One Tons
    The swap is not worth it unless it's a DIY. Also why do you want more power? Buy a BMW M3 E46 LSB 6 Speed.

7. Mar 26, 2011 at 8:41 PM
    Avsguy33

Avsguy33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Laguna Seca Blue. Best color BMW ever made and the E46 M car is the second best they ever made. E30 M3 takes the cake there.

8. Mar 26, 2011 at 9:45 PM
    IKE

IKE [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Washington state
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma 2.7L SR5
    K&N cold air intake
    Ive looked into getting a new Tacoma but my truck is already paid off. I could do everything that I want, and still spend less then buying a new Tacoma. I will eventually get a new Tacoma, and the one I have now will probably get the bed bobbed among other things but, thats down the road. Ive got the new engine/drivetrain stuff. Im gonna build that and then do the lift and so on. Im still looking into doing an SAS, not sure about that yet. I think it would be a fun project, just take my time and do it right. I just want more power. The 2.7l does ok, but it bogs down just pushing 31's through mud or deep water. I realize regearing it would help, but still, I could swap engines and add 50 hp and more TQ too. I like the idea of owning a fast car, drove everything from audi to porsche when I was in Germany, however, you can only go so fast in the states before Smokey gets you. If I had more cash, Id buy a bunch of new toys, unfortunately my budget only will get me so far.

9. Mar 27, 2011 at 10:19 AM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's

This sounds like a better idea to me

Products Discussed in