1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trouble turning key past accessory notch

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by eod, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Mar 26, 2011 at 12:37 PM
    eod

eod [OP] New Member

Member:
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    99 Prerunner
    K&N
    * I have a 1999 Prerunner
    * Automatic
    * 130k Miles
    * I love this truck.

Went out this morning to start and couldn't turn the key at all. The steering wheel was locked, so after wrestling with it, I popped it into neutral and rolled it a bit forward. I was able to then turn the key to the accessory switch but no dice past that.

I took the cover off by the shifting area to allow it to let me move into neutral and no difference. I moved it back to park tried more.

I tried all the keys I had (3 spares non factory).

Took more off and tried to examine this pipe/pin on the shifter that was referenced during a quick google search I did while sitting out in the truck. I wasn't sure what people where referencing that needed to be shimmed.

I'm a bit lost here guys. I'm not the biggest car guy but I understand troubleshooting. I could use some sage advise here.

2. Mar 26, 2011 at 10:14 PM
    MapleMoose

MapleMoose Drunk Canadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    West Kootenays
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma SR5
    3" Eibach Coils, 3" AP Springs, AP 6" Shackles Toytec Diff drop, BAMF Sliders, Deck plate mod,Volt meter, Highbeam mod, PIAA fogs, 18" Magnaflow, LED dash swap, Color matched Satoshi Grille, Custom Rear Plate Bumper
    Its your ignition switch.
    Had the same problem on my 1996. One night drove home from work, filled it with gas, jumped backed in and tried to start it. It wouldnt go past acc. Spent an hour trying over and over and ended up making it worse. I couldnt even get the key in.
    What you do: Find a ignition and key from your local wrecking yard. or pay up the ass at Toyota.

If you think that sounds like the problem i can explain how to do it. Let me know

3. Mar 27, 2011 at 6:32 PM
    eod

eod [OP] New Member

Member:
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    99 Prerunner
    K&N
  4. Mar 27, 2011 at 6:41 PM
    MapleMoose

MapleMoose Drunk Canadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    West Kootenays
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma SR5
    3" Eibach Coils, 3" AP Springs, AP 6" Shackles Toytec Diff drop, BAMF Sliders, Deck plate mod,Volt meter, Highbeam mod, PIAA fogs, 18" Magnaflow, LED dash swap, Color matched Satoshi Grille, Custom Rear Plate Bumper

Products Discussed in

To Top