Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2000Taco 2.7 fuel filter replacement

Old 03-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
bigrooster is on a distinguished road
Name: frank
bigrooster's Tacoma Gallery
2000Taco 2.7 fuel filter replacement

where is the fuel filter located and how hard is it to replace?
Old 03-27-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
under the manifold...its a bitch ti get to it WILL be an all day project.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
02tacoma2.7 is on a distinguished road

Name: Barrett
02tacoma2.7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang123 View Post
under the manifold...its a bitch ti get to it WILL be an all day project.

^what he said.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
JohnnYp has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnYp has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnYp has a spectacular aura about
Name: John
JohnnYp's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to JohnnYp
you can try jackin up the driver side and takin the driver side front wheel off take off the lil rubber flapper in the wheel well and go in through there thats how i did mine beats taken the intake out lol
Old 03-27-2011, 05:25 PM   #5
trdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdracing5's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like somebody needs to make a HOW TO video!!!!
Hey........ I have a 2.7 and no idea when my fuel filter was changed. I also have a video camera.
Now if I could just get some nice weather I might be on to something.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
bigrooster is on a distinguished road
Name: frank
bigrooster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdracing5 View Post
Looks like somebody needs to make a HOW TO video!!!!
Hey........ I have a 2.7 and no idea when my fuel filter was changed. I also have a video camera.
Now if I could just get some nice weather I might be on to something.
any pictures would be good.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:02 AM   #7
trdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdracing5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdracing5's Tacoma Gallery
From all that I have read it looks like the 2.7 fuel filter is in a really hard to get to location.
They say the best way to get to it is to jack up the drivers side and go through the fender well.

Here is a link to a good write up on the 3.4 fuel filter. Doesn't help in this situation but has some good general fuel filter removal tips that might apply.
http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=175

Here is a schematic of where the fuel filter is supposed to be located on the 2.7.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:05 AM   #8
motoedde is on a distinguished road
Name: Edde
motoedde's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
From all that I have read it looks like the 2.7 fuel filter is in a really hard to get to location.
I did mine with some ratchet extensions...was a PITA to put back on. I sincerely have thoughts about relocating the filter to a different location for the next change.

Anybody have thoughts on that? The genuine Toyota filter comes with mounting bracket anyways!?!?
Old 04-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #9
Tennessee01Tacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Jerry
Tennessee01Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have replaced the fuel filter on my truck its a 2001 xtra-cab 4x4 with the 2.7. You have to remove in a certain order.

Step 1. Loosen the lines its like a 12mm I used a line wrench but you can use a boxed end wrench or socket.

Step 2. Remove the 2 bracket bolts the top one is fairly easy the bottom one you will probably have to go through the fender and unless you have a lift on you will have to remove the tire. After you remove the bracket bolts you can pull the filter and bracket out together and then you have to remove the bracket which is only one bolt and then reassemble

It took me about 3 hours now I could probably do it in half the time.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:29 PM   #10
flynhighaf23 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: F-16 Avionics
flynhighaf23's Tacoma Gallery
okay, i just wanna bitch about what a PITA it is to change this fuel filter compared to the v6 model. what effing retard decided to mount the fuel filter to the engine block on the 4 banger?! i had a 96 v6 and it took me literally 5 minutes to change the fuel filter on that truck....okay, i've vented and now i'm cool.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:51 AM   #11
ilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant future

ilove_taco_ma's Tacoma Gallery
im having second thought about changing the fuel filter now.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:02 AM   #12
Banned
Stout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant future

Navy: aviation machinists mate on the Lockheed p-3 orion
Name: Jason
Stout890's Tacoma Gallery
i have to do mine, already bought the filter just need to find the desire to do it! i luckily have a sweet body lift that makes working on anything virtually effortless lol i can sit Indian style under the bed comfterbly...but well see about this fuel filter....
Old 10-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #13
beedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shed

beedoola's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They say the best way to get to it is to jack up the drivers side and go through the fender well.

Here is a link to a good write up on the 3.4 fuel filter. Doesn't help in this situation but has some good general fuel filter removal tips that might apply.
http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=175

Here is a schematic of where the fuel pump is supposed to be located on the 2.7.

is it recommended to go the route of pulling the fuel relay and starting the truck and letting it die?

Or can one just relieve the pressure from the gas tank and then start dismantling the fuel filter? - Guessing fuel will come out, but how much?

Should I put some towels over any electronics?
Old 08-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #14
azn toyo is on a distinguished road
azn toyo's Tacoma Gallery
Hi there
I'm looking to replace my fuel filter and had the same question bedoola had. Does the fuel go everywhere when you loosen the lines? Also, do you need two 12mm line wrenches to loosen the lines (one to hold, one to loosen)? Sorry for the dumb question. Trying to plan out everything I will need.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #15
ludeaddict is on a distinguished road
ludeaddict's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a video. Hope it helps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNZQ7FROa1c
Old 12-11-2013, 06:24 AM   #16
Moco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0311/0331 Security Plt. Hot dogs & Soda 2/23
Name: Eric
Moco's Tacoma Gallery
Im getting ready to do mine in the next couple of weeks. I will try to take pictures and do a detailed write-up as everyone seems to be deftly afraid of this procedure.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:25 AM   #17
Moco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0311/0331 Security Plt. Hot dogs & Soda 2/23
Name: Eric
Moco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beedoola View Post
is it recommended to go the route of pulling the fuel relay and starting the truck and letting it die?

Or can one just relieve the pressure from the gas tank and then start dismantling the fuel filter? - Guessing fuel will come out, but how much?

Should I put some towels over any electronics?
I think you should be OK without pulling the relay. I undid my fuel line up top to make sure it wasnt seized and only a trickle of fuel came out.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:37 AM   #18
JLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: Former NH LEO
JLee50's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, the 4cyl is a PITA! It makes me want to go change my fuel filter just because.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #19
SpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SpeedoJosh's Tacoma Gallery
It sucks. I tried. Jacked up truck, took off wheel. Got everything off but one bolt would just not budge. The space is tiny and hard to get to, and I just couldn't get the leverage I needed. After 4+ hours, multiple cuss words, and some banged up knuckles, I excepted defeat and put everything back together.

Eff that stupid filter placement, and eff Toyota for letting that roll out like that. Every other vehicle I've owned, I could change out the filter in 5 minutes.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:59 AM   #20
se7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

se7enine's Tacoma Gallery
You could always cut and replace the hoses and relocate a new one somewhere else. Just leave the old in it's same spot.