Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Taco runs even when on fire!

Old 04-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
mudpuppy is on a distinguished road
mudpuppy's Tacoma Gallery
Taco runs even when on fire!

On 3/21 I woke up in the middle of the night to find my house on fire.
It was a terrible fire. Me and my roommate and 1 dog escaped.
We went back inside to try to save the other 7 dogs (I am involved in pet rescue and most were rescues/fosters).

Inside the house was burning out of control. There was no air and we couldn't see. I was in the living room when the carport just outside collapsed. I think the shockwave knocked me down.

I almost rescued one other dog, and then began to black out from breathing carbon monoxide. Both of us had to get out without getting any dogs.

Fire Rescue arrived and ran inside and brought out the 7 dogs. They are heroes!
All 7 dogs were unconscious. Fire Rescue managed to resuscitate 6 of them. One died.
The house and everything in it were destroyed by fire and soot.

Now to the Tacoma.
I have a 2000 4x4 TRD, 6 cylinder.
It was in the driveway very close to the house.
The front melted and caught on fire.
You can see the back of it in the first pic, below.
I asked Fire Rescue to put it out, but they were understandably busy.
I thought I might grab their attention by driving it.
So I got in it and... IT STARTED!!!
I drove it out of the fire and turned it around to the street, which caught the attention of fire fighters and they put it out.
I am told that it can be repaired and its in the garage now.

I am still a newb when it comes to trucks (this is my first one) and I have a few questions I hope you can help me with:

The parts in the last picture below.... they cover the underneath front of the motor and protect the oil pan..... one goes over the other....
Exactly what are these parts called?
Are they strike plates? How are they different from each other?
What are their part numbers?

Tacomas are TOUGH!!!

Thank you for your help!
-mudpuppy

Old 04-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
Buckeye Member
cc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HT1st Class
Name: Chas
cc350's Tacoma Gallery
Skid plates.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
WHY THE F*** WOULD YOU GET IN AND DRIVE A TRUCK THAT'S ON FIRE?!!!!! . . . . . and sorry about your dog . . . . . and welcome to TW
Old 04-01-2011, 03:20 PM   #4
mudpuppy is on a distinguished road
mudpuppy's Tacoma Gallery
"WHY THE F*** WOULD YOU GET IN AND DRIVE A TRUCK THAT'S ON FIRE?!!!!!"

Because I've been driving beaters for years until I finally got this truck.
Its paid for, not covered for fire and I can't afford another one.
And I really like my truck.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwheeler17 View Post
WHY THE F*** WOULD YOU GET IN AND DRIVE A TRUCK THAT'S ON FIRE?!!!!! . . . . . and sorry about your dog . . . . . and welcome to TW
Obviously he loves his Toyota Tacoma.

I have heard people on here say, you can take my Mom but leave my Tacoma alone. I believe they mean it.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
Junebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Junebug McQuinn's Tacoma Gallery
Holy shit, that's a hell of a story! I'm glad most of the dogs made it. And yeah, you're crazy for getting in and driving a truck on fire but props to you, you went inside a burning house to save your animals and then hopped in a burning truck to save it too. I'm glad no one was seriously injured or killed, looks like a hell of a fire.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #7
Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity
easyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
easyeatlanta's Tacoma Gallery
I probably would have tried the same thing congrats on saving the truck sorry about the one dog
Old 04-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #8
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Now that's a truck I'd fix and own until the day I die! That's one tough SOB!

Steve
Old 04-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #9
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
sorry about the dog badass driving a burning truck
Old 04-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #10
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jace
lotsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
man crazy story! sad about the one dog... you are a true tacoma owner! on fire, who cares im going for a drive! hahahah dude, those headlights are nuts! and the tires didnt blow? thats saying something about michelin for sure...
Old 04-01-2011, 03:45 PM   #12
Byte Me
JFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JFKLives's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuppy View Post
Because I've been driving beaters for years until I finally got this truck.
Its paid for, not covered for fire and I can't afford another one.
And I really like my truck.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #13
supremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of light
supremetaco2's Tacoma Gallery
dam another taco on fire... sorry to here man
Old 04-01-2011, 05:12 PM   #14
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Homeowners insurance should cover the truck, no?
Old 04-01-2011, 06:13 PM   #15
Junebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Junebug McQuinn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Homeowners insurance should cover the truck, no?
Yeah, you would think. His house caught the truck on fire, homeowners insurance should cover that.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #16
Johnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
id be concerned about the electrical wires that may have melted. it doesn't take much heat to melt the wire casing.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:27 PM   #17
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
2nd gen woulda burnt to the ground!! lol
Old 04-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #18
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
That might be one of the most bad ass stories I've read on here
Old 04-01-2011, 09:36 PM   #19
Derp
Derpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Derpy Derek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by achirdo View Post
That might be one of the most bad ass stories I've read on here
This. Sorry about your dog..
Old 04-01-2011, 09:38 PM   #20
Official Flatlander
Gieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gieser's Tacoma Gallery
sorry about your dog.

but that must have been an exciting(or terrifying) ride.