Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

front axel seal leaking

Old 04-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
mike sacc is on a distinguished road
mike sacc's Tacoma Gallery
front axel seal leaking

front drivers side axel is leaking, anybody have any info on replacing the seal. thanks.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike sacc View Post
front drivers side axel is leaking, anybody have any info on replacing the seal. thanks.
Need more info man is it a CV boot? Pictures would help
Old 04-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
seams to be leaking gear oil where the axel geos into the diff.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
http://ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repair_M...dc4wd/reas.pdf

You basically pull it out and "press" the new one in.

How to pull the shaft.

http://ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repair_M...ds4wd/remo.pdf
Old 04-04-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike sacc View Post
seams to be leaking gear oil where the axel geos into the diff.
Oh I see I've never had a seal go out in the diff so I really couldn't tell you if its just a simple seal or not. But if is something where the whole diff needs to be removed I would get a whole rebuild kit and change all the seals and berrings.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
the diff doesnt need to come out i dont think. justthink that if i pull the axel i can get to the seal. just wondering if any bodies done one before. thanks
Old 04-04-2011, 06:12 PM   #7
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I haven't had that problem good luck man.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:14 PM   #8
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
I've actually done a driver side and a passenger side. Its really not very hard. Just pretend like your going to change CVs. After you pull the CV out, you will see the seal. You need to pull it out. You can just rip it out but be careful not to scratch up the inside of the diff. After that, put the new one in and your good to go. You might have some trouble getting the new one in. I just tapped a little bit all the way around and it went right in. Be careful not to put it in to far. Check to see how far the stock seal is, and try to seat your new seal just as deep.

Hope this helps some.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #9
thanks everybody.im going to do it soon, its makin a mess of my truck...and my driveway.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:37 PM   #10
hey rebel did you have to grease the seal first.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:42 PM   #11
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
I didnt, but it would probably make it go in there a lot easier.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #12
put the seal in today, drove it about 30 miles. no leaks yet.thanks for everybodies input.