1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Special spark plug tool???

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Sign Guy, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Apr 11, 2011 at 5:44 AM
    Sign Guy

Sign Guy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    DrugRunner V6, 2wd
    Nice Rims, Big Tires, Carryboy Shell, Added Rosta Cruise Control & Ultraguage, 5100 Bilsteins All around
    Since I got my (new to me) 2002 taco I decided to check the plugs (113K) and I picked an easy one (right pass rear) to pull out. I got some extensions and my small spark plug socket and notice the hole is very tight to my socket. I decided to give it a try and of course the socket got stuck in the hole and it took me about 45 min to get it out.:mad: Once out the plug was not in it so I put some anti-seeze on the outside of the socket to help it come out the next time. It gets stuck again and takes another 1/2 hour to get out.:mad: I wait till morning and try one last time and same thing. :mad: I tried to make sure it was tight this time but feel I didn't even touch the plug.

Is there a special thin wall socket for these plugs or do I just have some sloppy tools (I've used them for 30 yrs or so craftsman so they should be decent). I got a special spark plug wrench for my BMW motorcycle so I know you sometimes need the "special" too.

Any tips on what you guys use? :confused:

2. Apr 11, 2011 at 5:49 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Only think I can think of is you have old tools so they may be built up a little better than todays (meaning thicker sidewalls). Today tools are built cheaper and more cost effectively. I'd bring your spark plug socket into a sears and compare it against a new one. Only reason I'd suggest this is my dad's got an old Mac tool set and all of his sockets are larger (outter diameter, obviously the inside is the same) than the same size in my newer Craftsmen set. Can't speak for any 'special tools' for a 1st Gen, but the 2nd Gen uses a standard spark plug socket.

Products Discussed in

To Top