1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Questions before I start my lift

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Dave.Bc, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Apr 11, 2011 at 5:59 PM
    Dave.Bc

Dave.Bc [OP] Member

Member:
    Kamloops
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    Billy 5100's front and rear, Eibach coils, Toy-tec AAL, grey wire mod, deckplate, pioneer deck and speakers, JL amp and sub in a stealthbox
    Hey guys,
    I've been browsing the forum throughout the winter since I got my Tacoma, (98 ext cab) and have found tons of usefull info and great ideas for truck mods. Since the weather is finally starting to get better around here I am at the point where I want to start buying parts for my lift.
    I have decided that I want to go the route that most guys around here seem to take- Bilstein 5100's front and rear, with Eibach coils in the front and a 2" Toytec aal in the back to level things out. I want to upgrade from the stock tire size but don't want to deal with the hassles that come with 33's, so I'm looking at BFG all-terrains in 32x11.50R15. Now, for rims I want to go for something simple and have found the Procomp 52 series for sale near me. The website says 3.75" backspacing and I can't find any info on offset... Will this tire/rim/lift combo work out? I have read that the rock crawler and soft 8's won't fit around the calipers without spacers, so am I in the same boat? I'm worried that if I run spacers my tires will stick out way too far. I have the stock plastic fender flares and would like to see the tires stick out 2" max.

Also, I'm leaning towards installing the lift in my garage, but don't want to be overwhelmed. I have experience with wrenching on motorcycles but havn't touched vehicles other than doing routine maintenance. If I can get a hold of coil compressors is it pretty straight forward? I just don't feel like paying $100/hr labour rates at a shop, and it would be nice to gain some experience.
    Thanks ahead for any helpfull replies, and I apologize if these questions have been answered numerous times before... I just want to be 100% sure of what I'm doing.

2. Apr 11, 2011 at 6:02 PM
    takern

takern Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    I can't comment about the wheels but once you get the coil compressor it is fairly easy. If you have never used one before they take a second to figure out but you will catch on quick. just spread it out as far as possible but leave a few threads on the compressor just to be safe. Pull up one of the many how-to guides and get after it. I did a lift myself and have never messed with one before and my truck survived just fine

3. Apr 11, 2011 at 6:30 PM
    Phuket

Phuket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    03 4X4 TRD
    Eibach/Toytec coils, bilstein 5100's all around, Kenwood DNX7100 Navigation
    good lift idea!! i have the same setup and you will love the ride! I have never seen the wheels you're talking about but stock Backspace is 4.5 so your tires will stick out 3/4" if my math is correct. Your setup will look freakin awesome:taco:

4. Apr 11, 2011 at 6:34 PM
    comiesutra

comiesutra Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Greenwood, IN
    Vehicle:
    '10 4X4 Silver AC SR5 Manual
    MonsterKnobs.com shift knob, Sony MEX-BT3900u
    sounds like you know what you are doing. the only suggestion that i have is that you find a reputable and competent place to get your alignment done at after the lift. the places i called said that they could do it, but can't quite get there because of the lift. i am still looking for a place to do mine...

5. Apr 11, 2011 at 8:13 PM
    Phuket

Phuket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    03 4X4 TRD
    Eibach/Toytec coils, bilstein 5100's all around, Kenwood DNX7100 Navigation
    i was aligned pretty straight after i lifted mine:D

Products Discussed in