1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

need help, my battery was stolen

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by cassieanneburke, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Apr 12, 2011 at 5:53 PM
    cassieanneburke

cassieanneburke [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 tacoma sr5
    Hi! My battery got stolen, and worse than that all of the cables leading to it were cut. I have zero mechanic experience and not very much money, and my manual doesn't give a good description of how to entirely replace the cables and terminals. I need a description of where the cables connect from the battery, and a good idea about how to do it. Anything would be helpful, thank you!
    -C

2. Apr 12, 2011 at 6:55 PM
    Jerry Bear

Jerry Bear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Mesquite, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab
    tint, topper, receiver hitch, trailer wiring, topper lighting, cruise control, intermittent wipers, backup camera, auto-dim mirror
    Sorry about your truck.

It shouldn't be too bad to fix. You will need a battery, a positive battery cable, a negative battery cable, and maybe a new battery holddown, if they broke that, too.

Just go to the auto parts store and tell them what you need. They should have, or should be able to get, replacement cables with the lugs and connectors already attached, so all you have to do is bolt them on. If you need a new holddown, take what's left of the old one to the auto parts store to help pick a new one.

For a 2001 Tacoma, the NAPA part numbers are:
    Positive cable: Belden 781135
    Negative cable: Belden 781104
    Holddown: don't know
    Battery: many choices

The part numbers will probably be different if you go to another auto parts store.

To make sure that you don't mix up the connections of the positive and negative cables, follow what's left of the cables in the truck.

The old negative cable is probably black. It will connect to the frame of the truck. The new negative cable will connect where the old one did. The battery end will go to the negative (-) terminal on the battery.

The old positive cable is probably red. It will connect to the fusebox and/or the starter, but it won't connect to the frame of the truck. The new positive cable will connect where the old one did. The battery end will go to the positive (+) terminal on the battery.

3. Apr 12, 2011 at 6:59 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Positive goes from battery to starter and fusebox. I don't know for sure where the neg goes, either frame or block. I never had to mess with this truck's neg lead on the truck's side. Follow what's left of the old lead.
    Measure the legnth of cable you need and gauge size. Take the old positive lead with you, so you know what size the starter lug is.

4. Apr 12, 2011 at 6:59 PM
    o5iiawah

o5iiawah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Philly 'burbs, PA
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x2 access cab 2.7l
    wow, $5 scrap value in battery and maybe $3 scrap value for the copper lines. Scrap metal thieves should have their hands cut off.

5. Apr 12, 2011 at 7:09 PM
    NaYoung

NaYoung Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORDC
    Wow, now that sucks, sorry man. Just goes to show that times are really tough...

6. Apr 12, 2011 at 8:18 PM
    tacosuprem

tacosuprem Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    how did they open your hood?

7. Apr 12, 2011 at 11:22 PM
    cassieanneburke

cassieanneburke [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 tacoma sr5
    they broke the window on the pass through in back of the cab, and then when they popped the hood they also broke the latch so it won't secure anymore- another thing i have to fix. what jerks!

Products Discussed in

To Top