1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Auto tranny shift when cold

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by glwood6, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Sep 24, 2008 at 10:48 PM
    glwood6

glwood6 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 XCab Prerunner
    Bilstein 4600 shocks.
    My 02 V6 TRD's auto tranny has always shifted from 2nd to 3rd at what seems like a high rpm when cold- 2500 or so. It does it a couple of times in the morning or after sitting for more than a few hours, then is fine and shifts at around 1800-1900 rpm...2nd to 3rd is the only shift that does this...anyone heard of this issue? I took it to the dealer, they pretty much looked at me like I had 3 eyes...didn't do anything to fix it.

If I let the truck idle in the driveway for a few minutes before driving off, it will shift normally, but I've never been one to leave my vehicles idling to warm up..

I guess if this is the only issue with my Taco, I can consider myself lucky...

2. Sep 24, 2008 at 10:56 PM
    JJ Customs

JJ Customs Supreme Leader!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NV
    Vehicle:
    Silverado Crew Cab Z71, 5.3 made from real Tornado's!
    A few additions to make me feel cool.
    Most of your auto trannys shift off of a vacuum system from the eng so what is probably happening is after your eng warms up and the higher idle kicks off it changes the perrimiters. Other than that I would change my trans fluid and filter, it might just be dirty fluid that is to thick until it gets warm. As for the first method, purely a guess...

3. Sep 25, 2008 at 8:53 AM
    ubermx5

ubermx5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Clara CA
    Vehicle:
    98 2.4 5 speed
    K&N Air filter
    Sounds like you need to Change your tranny fluid and let the car warm up a bit.
    You should really let a car have 1 to 2 minutes to warm things up a bit.

many will say new cars and truck do not need it, but I can prove them wrong every day. You your self already said, if you let it warm up a bit it is not an issue.

Also you should Flush the tranny fully every 60K miles and do drain and fill every 15K.
    Replace the filter at 60K unless you tow allot..

This wil keep your tranny very happy for years to come..

4. Sep 25, 2008 at 9:05 AM
    crazydaze_95

crazydaze_95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ne md
    Vehicle:
    mall crawler till the jeep dies
    6inch fabtech lift kit, 35inch mickey thomphson atz, 16inch pro comp rims, deck plate mod, k&n air filter, diff lock grey wire mod, b&m trans cooler, flowmaster 40 muffler, clarion dxz755mc head unit, pioneer 6x8 3 ways in all four doors, infinity basslink powered subwoofer, mesh grille, power moonroof, geared to 4.88, fabtech light bar, custom skid plate.
    my 04 does the same thing now that you mentioned it, never payed no mind to it

5. Sep 25, 2008 at 9:39 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    All cars/trucks do this when they are cold. The colder the worse it is, cold for me is 30 degrees, really cold here is -15 below temp with -40 windchill. In my experience letting the car warmup just makes it throw some heat to the window so it doesn't frost up, it really doesn't affect the tranny till it starts working.

6. Oct 12, 2008 at 5:16 PM
    gwilli

gwilli New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner-White
    Blue dash lights, K & N air filter, Grillcraft grill, Behind the grill Hella 500 driving lamps, Extang tonneau cover,custom 3rd brake light
    My 01 takes several miles before it will shift into 4th when it's cold outside. Lately it happens every time the tranny is not up to temp so it's going to the dealer for a fluid & filter change.

Products Discussed in

To Top