Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

truck is not running right HELLP!!!

Old 04-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
sick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant future

Name: Eric
sick 3.4 tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
truck is not running right HELLP!!!

so for the past couple of weeks i have been trying to find out what is wrong with my truck and im starting to figure out what it is but not completly. so normaly i run regular gas in my truck and in doing so it idols great but the prob is when im driving down the road i give it gas and the truck falls on its face and spudders but what i have figured out that fixes the prob is by putting premium gas in the truck and the prob goes right away. if you have any idea what this prob could be would be great. things that i have done to try to fix it is do a new fuel filter and did a new clutch. my truck is a 95 3.4 v6
Old 04-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sick 3.4 tacoma View Post
so for the past couple of weeks i have been trying to find out what is wrong with my truck and im starting to figure out what it is but not completly. so normaly i run regular gas in my truck and in doing so it idols great but the prob is when im driving down the road i give it gas and the truck falls on its face and spudders but what i have figured out that fixes the prob is by putting premium gas in the truck and the prob goes right away. if you have any idea what this prob could be would be great. things that i have done to try to fix it is do a new fuel filter and did a new clutch. my truck is a 95 3.4 v6
What you describe makes me think that there is something causing the engine to "ping". Meaning the cylinders are getting too hot and causing the fuel to ignite before the spark plug has fired. On an older engine without knock sensors you would hear the pinging. On a newer engine, the computer dials the timing back (causing a loss of power that sometimes could be felt) before there can be damage and sometimes before the driver can hear the noise.

I have no experience with the 3.4, but had an old truck with the 22r engine. I had a few problems with engine ping. Once after I put bosch platinum plugs in it the pinging started right away. Took them out and installed factory nippondenso plugs, no more pinging. Another time I discovered that a pipe from the EGR valve to the intake manifold was clogged with carbon, leaving only a pencil tip sized hole for EGR gases. Cleaned it out, problem went away. The EGR valve would pass the smog test at that time, but apparently wasn't flowing enough gas to cool the cylinders down and prevent the pinging. High octane gas fixed the issue temporarily also. Might also check and see if there is a way to check and adjust timing on that engine. I don't know.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:17 PM   #3
Littlebro 5 will become famous soon enough

Name: Tyler
Littlebro 5's Tacoma Gallery
do you know what you used to clean out that EGR?
Old 04-13-2011, 11:18 PM   #4
Camo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCamo23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Drew
Camo23's Tacoma Gallery
have you replaced the spark plugs?
Old 04-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
sick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant futuresick 3.4 tacoma has a brilliant future

Name: Eric
sick 3.4 tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
so today my truck threw a cell code po510 its telling me that my tps is bad do you think this could be my prob to why my truck is not running right?
Old 04-21-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
Buggys3sgte is on a distinguished road
Name: !@$*
Buggys3sgte's Tacoma Gallery
A bad or misadjusted TPS will cause a ton of problems. Try testing the TPS per toyota specs and see if is is within spec or if it even performs correctly.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebro 5 View Post
do you know what you used to clean out that EGR?

Just a screwdriver and a can of carb cleaner. Took it off the engine to clean.