Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

steel tube rear bumper?

Old 04-16-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
DaytonLax14 is on a distinguished road

Name: Corey
DaytonLax14's Tacoma Gallery
steel tube rear bumper?

Who's made a rear bumper by just stacking 2 layers of steel tube? I have a nasty dent in my rear bumper and I like the look of the metal ones anyway. I drove around the farm today and I found some good tubing that will work. Post up some pics of you have any. thanks
Old 04-16-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
Tacoma of Souls is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
Tacoma of Souls's Tacoma Gallery
me and a buddy from school made a front bumper for an 83 4runner while we were in the welding shop... turned out pretty awesome. we used a length of galvanized steel fence tubing (don't weld that.. LOL) and it turned out great. we cut the top just a hair shorter than the bottom and welded the top tube about half the diameter towards the truck. chopped the ends off at 20 or 30 degrees, can't really remember. took the 6 or 8 inch ends, flipped them around and re-welded them to get the angle around the fenders and slightly upwards. looked bad ass. rear bumpers are pretty simple if you're just gonna stack the tubes, but i personally like having a bit of space between the tubing. mine has about 3" in between the tubes with 1/4" plate shackle mounts welded in between. also have little reverse lights stuck in there somewhere. looks wicked.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
DaytonLax14 is on a distinguished road

Name: Corey
DaytonLax14's Tacoma Gallery
I'm probably not gonna have any space between the tubes but thanks for the info/input. has anyone else done this?
Old 04-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #4
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
like those shittybuilt ones they use on jeeps?...
Old 04-18-2011, 12:16 AM   #5
White Tank
SkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
SkyHighTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Im about to start my front bumper build out of 2" schedule 40 steel pipe and if I have enough afterwards, I might build a rear bumper also.