Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Repairing Rear Wheelwell Rust

Old 04-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
Murrfk has a spectacular aura aboutMurrfk has a spectacular aura about
Murrfk's Tacoma Gallery
Repairing Rear Wheelwell Rust

I have several inches of rust above my rear wheel wells. I would like to repair this properly. I am aware of the need to get it back to bare metal, but anyone have any tips, ideas, sources, etc. for what I can do to fix it?
Old 04-17-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Let it rust!! Grind it all down. or replace the entire fender. It's going to involve alot of cutting and welding new sheetmetal back onto. Also Bondo.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #3
Murrfk's Tacoma Gallery
I heard that there are replacement REAR fenders for rust above the wheelwells, and that they now glue in. Anyone know anything about that?
Old 04-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
Murrfk's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone fixed their rear fenders?
Old 04-21-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
I would just sand/cut out the rust, paint it (I would bedline it with herculiner) and throw fender flares over it to cover it up.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
Murrfk's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think fender flares would fit, and I want to do a good job. That wheelwell rust is the only major cosmetic problem with my truck. Has no one had to fix this?
Old 04-25-2011, 11:21 AM   #7
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Remove excess rust and treat with rust converter, then use your coating of choice.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:12 PM   #8
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murrfk View Post
I don't think fender flares would fit, and I want to do a good job. That wheelwell rust is the only major cosmetic problem with my truck. Has no one had to fix this?
Tacomas come factory with fender flares. Just giving you options.

These:

Old 05-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #9
Murrfk's Tacoma Gallery
I am looking for something like this for the Toyota Tacoma:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/upper-rear-...DetailTabPanel

My rust is a little too much to be covered with fender flares, I believe.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:49 PM   #10
Murrfk's Tacoma Gallery
Well, since I couldn't find any place that sold the wheel arches, and since rust never sleeps, I decided to make a set out of the skin of an old fridge.

I took a power wire brush to the two effected areas, cleaned them off, and cut the rust all the way back to good clean metal. Then I painted inside and out with rust primer paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Repairing Rear Wheelwell Rust-100_0191.jpg   Repairing Rear Wheelwell Rust-100_0192.jpg   Repairing Rear Wheelwell Rust-100_0193.jpg   Repairing Rear Wheelwell Rust-100_0194.jpg   Repairing Rear Wheelwell Rust-100_0195.jpg  

Repairing Rear Wheelwell Rust-100_0196.jpg   Repairing Rear Wheelwell Rust-100_0197.jpg   Repairing Rear Wheelwell Rust-100_0198.jpg   Repairing Rear Wheelwell Rust-100_0199.jpg   Repairing Rear Wheelwell Rust-100_0200.jpg  

Old 05-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #11
Murrfk's Tacoma Gallery
Next I went over to my good friend Dwight's, because he can weld, and he tried out his new mig. It was his first time trying autobody panels. We made sure to disconnect the battery before we started to weld.

This was new for both of us. I think friend Dwight did a fine job!

I will try to get it puttied, primed and painted in the next few days.
Attached Thumbnails
Repairing Rear Wheelwell Rust-100_0201.jpg   Repairing Rear Wheelwell Rust-100_0202.jpg   Repairing Rear Wheelwell Rust-100_0203.jpg   Repairing Rear Wheelwell Rust-100_0204.jpg   Repairing Rear Wheelwell Rust-100_0205.jpg  

Repairing Rear Wheelwell Rust-100_0206.jpg   Repairing Rear Wheelwell Rust-100_0207.jpg   Repairing Rear Wheelwell Rust-100_0208.jpg   Repairing Rear Wheelwell Rust-100_0209.jpg  
Old 05-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #12
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Better off looking for another box, once the cancer starts there is no fixing its just a cover up.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #13
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
strong work. my 96 T100 needs this and I've been considering doing this to get rid of as much as possible and then slapping some flares on to cover up novice body work. keep the pics coming.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:29 PM   #14
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good, a little sanding+paint and it will be good as new!