Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

DIY: Differential Breather Extension

Old 01-31-2009, 06:29 PM   #21
firesniffer2001 is on a distinguished road
firesniffer2001's Tacoma Gallery
great mod idea

what is the uion size and were did you get it?
Old 01-31-2009, 06:35 PM   #22
UnderWater Monopoly Champion
TicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: F-15 Crew-Chief
Name: Anastatia Beaverhausen
TicTacOma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TicTacOma
1 "union" (Toyota part# 9040451026)

Reread the post,he has all the ingredients there for you. Doesn't get any easier. Unless you get Chris to do it and then all you have to do is hold the camera and the eyewash.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:32 AM   #23
firesniffer2001 is on a distinguished road
firesniffer2001's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks

Thanks I missed it.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:30 AM   #24
miked is on a distinguished road
miked's Tacoma Gallery
diff breather?

Is it necessary to put teflon tape on the camary union?Also should it have any threads showing or should it tighten all the way down?Thanks!
Old 04-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #25
thenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud of

thenrie's Tacoma Gallery
That looks like a lawn mower fuel filter. Look in the lawn and garden section of any hardware store, not in the automotive section.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:37 PM   #26
Taco-addicted
Slick Nick will become famous soon enoughSlick Nick will become famous soon enough

Slick Nick's Tacoma Gallery
good writeup
Old 07-22-2009, 09:44 PM   #27
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
done. the only thing that was a PITA were the little 8mm bolts holding the splash guard at the top of the filler neck. On a 96, my guess is that theyve never been touched so they were rusted up pretty well. I broke 3 of 4 and had to drill them out, then i just replaced them with 10mm screws. Whatever works.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:30 AM   #28
BTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to all

Army: 3rd Infantry Division
BTO's Tacoma Gallery
What is the advantage to locating the filter/hose vent in the gas filler area?
Old 11-16-2009, 10:07 AM   #29
rob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
rob1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTO View Post
What is the advantage to locating the filter/hose vent in the gas filler area?
the very first post had the answer,which was this:
"As air expands and contracts from temperature changes within the rear differential, the breather allows the differential to "breathe". However, with the stock location of the breather, it is possible for the differential to "inhale" water in certain situations. By relocating the breather to a higher position on the vehicle, this can be prevented."
Welcome to Tacoma World!!
Old 11-16-2009, 11:29 AM   #30
BTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to all

Army: 3rd Infantry Division
BTO's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Rob1,

Yes, that location does make it high and out of any water but I was thinking it may be in the way? I could see myself banging it with a gas pump nozzle. Maybe the use of something smaller than the fuel filter like a tiny orifice or the original diff breather?
Old 01-28-2010, 08:56 PM   #31
trdkamuri51o is on a distinguished road
trdkamuri51o's Tacoma Gallery
going to do this in about 2 weeks.. toyota stock the part regularly?? and what did it cost you guys??
Old 02-20-2010, 11:30 PM   #32
vicstacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Victor
vicstacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTO View Post
Hey Rob1,

Yes, that location does make it high and out of any water but I was thinking it may be in the way? I could see myself banging it with a gas pump nozzle. Maybe the use of something smaller than the fuel filter like a tiny orifice or the original diff breather?
yes you can use the original diff breather at the top end of the fuel line... that is what most people do... no need to be searching for any filters!
Old 02-20-2010, 11:32 PM   #33
vicstacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Victor
vicstacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdkamuri51o View Post
going to do this in about 2 weeks.. toyota stock the part regularly?? and what did it cost you guys??
at the dealership around they didn't have it in stock, but they were able to get it the next day.. it was about $7.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:45 PM   #34
TKGN1 is a splendid one to beholdTKGN1 is a splendid one to beholdTKGN1 is a splendid one to beholdTKGN1 is a splendid one to beholdTKGN1 is a splendid one to beholdTKGN1 is a splendid one to beholdTKGN1 is a splendid one to beholdTKGN1 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Todd
TKGN1's Tacoma Gallery
I did this mod last week and went with a simular set-up, but used these parts:
1/8" BSPP male to 1/8" NPT female from McMaster-Carr, example: http://www.mcmaster.com/#4936k117/=76nzfv
Remove your stock breather and screw this piece in place.

Then get a 1/8" NPT male to 3/8" hose barb, example: http://www.mcmaster.com/#5350k35/=76o237
screw this piece into the 1/8" NPT female fitting

using a couple feet of 3/8" fuel line I ran it up to the fuel tank door as mentioned and slipped the hose onto the stock breather and clamped it on

Just a side note, the fitting in the rearend is 1/8 BSPP (1/8-28) not to be confused with 1/8 NPT (1/8-27). They are very simular but you can't screw a 1/8 NPT into the breather hole in the axle.
HTH
Old 05-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #35
When I grow up I want to be just like Me
BRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BRP27's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a link to info on the breathers I found on the top of the transmission on a 04 Tacoma 5 speed 4X4 and how to raise them higher.
This was posted over in Technical Chat but it should be here so we can have info on the transmission breathers here for 1st gens. As far as I know the transmission is the only breathers that will still will need to be raised after you do the rear diff breather.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...nsmission.html
Old 07-15-2010, 06:22 PM   #37
supremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of light
supremetaco2's Tacoma Gallery
anyone order the inline fuel filter from autoparts2020? cant seem to find it here in hawaii
Old 07-15-2010, 06:32 PM   #38
supremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of light
where did you guys get your 1/4" fuel line from??? cant seem to find it anywhere lol
Old 07-15-2010, 06:33 PM   #39
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremetaco2 View Post
where did you guys get your 1/4" fuel line from??? cant seem to find it anywhere lol
any auto parts store close to you should have plenty of it.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:39 PM   #40
ok maybe i am trying the wrong department... hmmm