Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

DIY: Differential Breather Extension

Old 09-25-2008, 09:35 PM   #1
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
DIY: Differential Breather Extension

Relocating the rear differential breather is an easy and inexpensive way to help prevent costly damage to the rear differential. As air expands and contracts from temperature changes within the rear differential, the breather allows the differential to "breathe". However, with the stock location of the breather, it is possible for the differential to "inhale" water in certain situations. By relocating the breather to a higher position on the vehicle, this can be prevented.
*Perform at your own Risk*
Materials:
8ft 1/4" rubber fuel line
1 "union" (Toyota part# 9040451026)
2 small hose clamps
1 small in-line fuel filter
2-3 plastic zip ties

Tools:
14mm box/open wrench
10mm box/open wrench
1/4" socket/ratchet
8mm socket/ratchet
cordless drill w/ 1/4" drill bit
wire cutters
Loosen the breather with the 14mm wrench. Before completely removing the breather, clean the area around it to prevent any debris from entering the differential.

With the 10mm wrench, install the "union" in place of the breather. Note that the "union" will not tighten down flush with the surface of the differential housing.

With one of the hose clamps on the end of the hose, slide one end of the hose over the nipple on the "union" and tighten the clamp. (I used the 1/4" ratchet for the clamps because I tend to stab myself with screwdrivers)

Run the hose along the e-locker cable(anchor with zip ties) over the frame rail to the fuel filler neck. Leave adequate slack in the hose above the differential to allow for suspension flex.

Using the 8mm ratchet, remove the 4 bolts that secure the plastic shield around the fuel cap. Remove the fuel cap so you can slide the shield off of the filler neck. Pull the hose up and out through the fuel cap access door. Drill a 1/4" hole in the plastic shield where you want to attach the fuel filter and the other end of the hose. I chose the right side of the shield, below the fuel door catch.

Poke one end of the fuel filter through the drilled hole. Cut off any excess hose. Attach the hose with the clamp to the fuel filter at the back of the shield. Re-attach shield. Enjoy a little peace of mind!

Note: I trimmed off about 1/2" of nipple from the fuel filter so it would not interfere with removing the fuel cap.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:47 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
awesome job buddy!!! im doing mine this weekend!!
Old 09-26-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hey Chad....did you use any teflon tape when you installed the union to the rear diff housing?? just wondering,cause if so, i gotta get a roll of it.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:00 PM   #4
Shadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Shadow-Warrior's Tacoma Gallery
Nice, but you also need to do All the breathers, tranny, front diff, transfer case and E-locker too.

I made a post over here which also applies for the Taco's too.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...-breather.html
Old 09-26-2008, 07:39 PM   #5
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow-Warrior View Post
Nice, but you also need to do All the breathers, tranny, front diff, transfer case and E-locker too.

I made a post over here which also applies for the Taco's too.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...-breather.html
Thanks Mike. I only did the rear diff. for now because I need to replace some leaking seals back there. After checking out your write up, I went out and climbed under my truck to look for the e-locker breather and can't seem to find one. Do the 1st gen e-lockers have a breather?
Old 09-27-2008, 02:45 AM   #6
Shadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadow-Warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Life View Post
Thanks Mike. I only did the rear diff. for now because I need to replace some leaking seals back there. After checking out your write up, I went out and climbed under my truck to look for the e-locker breather and can't seem to find one. Do the 1st gen e-lockers have a breather?

I'm not sure...do you have a Schematic on your vehicle?
Old 09-27-2008, 05:42 AM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The rear diff breather is the only one. The E-locker doesnt have its own breather.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:21 AM   #8

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
The rear diff breather is the only one.
besides the tranny, front diff and transfer case.

Mike
Old 09-29-2008, 10:20 AM   #9

did mine just a little while ago......took about 20 minutes. i gotta get another filter for the end of the fuel line though....the one i got was the smallest i could find last night, but closing the fuel door/opening it is a bitch. gonna get a different filter this afternoon.

good mod.......quick and easy.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
did mine just a little while ago......took about 20 minutes. i gotta get another filter for the end of the fuel line though....the one i got was the smallest i could find last night, but closing the fuel door/opening it is a bitch. gonna get a different filter this afternoon.

good mod.......quick and easy.
If you look at the last pic in my write-up, you can see an xtra hole. That was the first place I wanted to put the filter, but it got in the way of the prongs on the fuel door when I tried to close it. Fortunately, I left a couple inches xtra of hose just in case.....good thing
Old 09-29-2008, 10:58 AM   #11

Quote:
If you look at the last pic in my write-up, you can see an xtra hole. That was the first place I wanted to put the filter, but it got in the way of the prongs on the fuel door when I tried to close it. Fortunately, I left a couple inches xtra of hose just in case.....good thing
Chad...where did you get that small filter you used?? we have lots of them at the shop i work at, but since i am here till after my surgery...cant go get one. thats about the size i need, plus its tapered a bit. mine is a drum type fuel filter, it works, but a bit too big.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
Chad...where did you get that small filter you used?? we have lots of them at the shop i work at, but since i am here till after my surgery...cant go get one. thats about the size i need, plus its tapered a bit. mine is a drum type fuel filter, it works, but a bit too big.
I got that at the local family owned parts store. The brand is "Prime Line", 1/4" in-line clear plastic fuel filter (part# 7-02357-1). It is for Briggs/Stratton, John Deere. Kohler, Snapper, and Troy Bilt. I imagine anyone that carries lawnmower stuff would have something similar.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:17 AM   #13

Quote:
I got that at the local family owned parts store. The brand is "Prime Line", 1/4" in-line clear plastic fuel filter (part# 7-02357-1). It is for Briggs/Stratton, John Deere. Kohler, Snapper, and Troy Bilt. I imagine anyone that carries lawnmower stuff would have something similar.
ok, cool. i'll go look at walmart or pepboys in a little bit!! we use them at our shop on the old yamaha g1 carts!!
Old 11-01-2008, 07:34 PM   #14
Tacoma02TRD is a jewel in the roughTacoma02TRD is a jewel in the roughTacoma02TRD is a jewel in the rough

Tacoma02TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I think I'm gonna have to do this with my Tacoma some weekend. Thanks for all the information.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:55 AM   #16
QuickShift
closha63 is on a distinguished road
closha63's Tacoma Gallery
Hey can someone put up some pictures
Old 12-02-2008, 11:38 AM   #17

Oops! I deleted a bunch of pictures from photobucket a while back, didn't think about where else those pictures were being displayed. I can take some new ones, but won't be able to duplicate all the pictures I had up originally.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:12 AM   #18
Stock Taco For Now
311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
311offroad's Tacoma Gallery
Got some extra time this week, gonna order the parts for the extension. Im wanting to go ahead and get everything that needs to be done though, so do I need to do the tranny, front diff and transfer case? I remember reading a while back that some already have an extension from the factory. Also, do I need the union from toyota for each of them, and is it the same part # for each?

Thanks
Old 12-04-2008, 08:20 AM   #19
Stock Taco For Now
311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
311offroad's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ bump. wanna order these parts today
Old 12-04-2008, 08:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoruptTaco View Post
^^^ bump. wanna order these parts today
I couldn't tell you for sure. For now, I only did the rear differential. Also, I have a first gen not a second gen. The rear diff breather parts should be the same as the ones I have listed.