1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Starter Fried

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Supra TT, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Apr 23, 2011 at 2:05 PM
    Supra TT

Supra TT [OP] Supercharged Lifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R Supercharged
    Supercharged on One Tons
    I believe I know why, after speaking to Wyatt over at RST. However, I want to just post and maybe get another tip or idea.

My problem, starter fried, why? Wyatt Believes that corrosion inside caused it to stick and fry.

Alright so the story...

It's been 4 months nearly since I last started the truck. I last used it for snow wheeling/trail riding, however it was deep snow at times. I today finally was able to come home and start it to load it on the trailer.

First I cranked it over several times before it fired, but once it fired (after replacing a new battery, different story) it ran just fine. I took it around the block a few times and when I went to turn around I put it into "N" Neutral, and it shot off and immediately fired back up ON ITS OWN. It still ran just fine.

I thought to myself well shit time to bring it back and investigate. When I got home, I put the truck into "P" Park and it continuted to fire, the started constantly tried firing and firing. So I shut the truck off duh... NO! That did not help, it continuted to fire, WHEN THE TRUCK WAS OFF!!

I quickly ran out of the truck and disconected the battery, however it was to late the starter had fried, smoke was rolling from it. Any idea on what the hell this is?

I still believe Wyatt's thought that the starter was just corroded and got stuck on by it's self. But before installing a new starter, I want to know exactly what I'm getting in too.

Thanks,

yada...yada.. 2.7l Auto, you know the rest.

2. Apr 23, 2011 at 2:08 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    i did the one on my 3.4 a couple years ago..pretty easy work. Ive heard the 2.7 is harder to do tho. Why? I dont know.

3. Apr 23, 2011 at 2:15 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    on my 99 3.4 the starter did the same thing. I went to start the truck in the morning(daily driver) and the starter wouldn't let go, it just kept on cranking even though I took the key out and held it in my hand. Went under truck with a hammer and whacked the living shit out of it and it quit. Happened one more time and then "KLICK" no more starter. I ended up replacing the copper contacts in the solonoid for under 5 bucks and now it works like a new starter. It's common, being a 2000 it just happens, good luck

4. Apr 24, 2011 at 8:46 AM
    Supra TT

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged on One Tons
    Thanks, bump. Still looking for another idea too. Haven't replaced the starter yet, no time. Just gathering ideas.

5. Apr 24, 2011 at 8:58 AM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Its not super bad to do...tho its not fun. Its kinda in a weird spot. Not impossible to do yourself tho. However you do have a SAS so idk how that'll change getting to it. Maybe it'll be easier. or not...haha but it takes about and hour to do i think. make sure you have a dry place to get under the truck. and have fun lol

6. Apr 25, 2011 at 3:11 PM
    Supra TT

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged on One Tons
    Update: It was completely the starter, fired right up and ran flawlessly. Thanks!

Also, with the SAS it's easier to stand under the truck versus lying down haha! Otherwise, the leaf springs were in my way of my arms the entire time.

Products Discussed in

To Top