Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

99 3.4L Bog/No Power HELP!

Old 04-25-2011, 07:14 AM   #1
Guyskie is on a distinguished road
Guyskie's Tacoma Gallery
99 3.4L Bog/No Power HELP!

Trying to help a fellow Tacoma owner is distress. His 99 3.4L 5spd manual completely bog's and almost and sometimes does stall when any throttle is applied. The truck is unable to drive at all. Any help/suggestions to try would be greatly appreciated! The check engine light has not been triggered either which I find odd for the truck running so poorly.

New Fuel pump installed
Checked spark plugs
Checked PCV for vacuum
disconnected catalytic conv to rule out being clogged
checked for various vacuum leaks

What else?
Old 04-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Try cleaning your maf sensor and check the butterfly in the tb to make sure its opening all the way.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:38 PM   #3
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
The throttle position sensor (TPS) might be malfunctioning? Other folks have had issues with a "dead spot" in acceleration and the TPS has been the culprit. Try a quick search in the 1st gen forum for "TPS." I just saw a good one recently.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ike-crazy.html
Old 04-25-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
mike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant futuremike92y has a brilliant future
Army: SFC,  19 years, 5 to go.
Name: Michael
mike92y's Tacoma Gallery
My 97 3.4L was only getting around 17mpg. So I invested in an ultra gage. I had two trouble codes but the CEL was not on. I think the perhaps the previous owner had disconnected this to pass inspection in PA. I cleaned the MAF reset the truck with the ultra gauge and the trouble codes came back. Replace O2 bank 1 sensor 1, reset the truck and now I get 18-19 mpg in the city and no trouble codes. So you may want to hook this truck up to a thingy magangy at your local auto parts store and see what it says. Hope I helped.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
Guyskie's Tacoma Gallery
Forgot that we swapped out the TPS sensor with a new one. TPS was not the culprit either.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:01 AM   #6
Guyskie's Tacoma Gallery
Ended up being a dirty MAF. Runs like a champ now. Its amazing that two little sensing wires being dirty would cause such havoc!
Old 05-02-2011, 08:52 AM   #7
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
Try cleaning your maf sensor and check the butterfly in the tb to make sure its opening all the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyskie View Post
Ended up being a dirty MAF. Runs like a champ now. Its amazing that two little sensing wires being dirty would cause such havoc!
Will for the win!

Glad it was so simple. Apparently, this should be item #1 on the trouble-shooting list for these symptoms.