Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

timing belt and water pump kit

Old 04-26-2011, 06:22 AM   #1
fish
fish is on a distinguished road
fish's Tacoma Gallery
timing belt and water pump kit

i have a 04 tacoma and my water pump is leaking and i'm just gonna replace timing belt,water pump,and everything else. Were would be the cheapest place to get the kit and what is a good brand?
Old 04-26-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Check eBay.......seriously. that's where myself and a few others got our kits from. Can't remember the folks I got it from,but all the stuff was good to go.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:32 AM   #3
fish
fish's Tacoma Gallery
IS DAYCO ANYGOOD?
Old 04-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
IS DAYCO ANYGOOD?
Not bad.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
fish
fish's Tacoma Gallery
cause i looked on rockauto and they sell the kit but it's by dayco i'm just not wanting to buy a cheap kit.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
tlh178 is on a distinguished road
Name: terry
tlh178's Tacoma Gallery
the kit i brought was made by aisin, not sure how good that brand is? got the pump,belt and tensioner for around 300.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #7
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Dayco is what toyota uses as their belts. Toyota just doubles the price. Dayco is the best. Though I did a water pump on my tundra and a year later it started weaping. It was a bosch WP. I went to toyota and they recomended a toyota water pump cuz it wouldn't go bad like that that fast. I would suggest the same to you. Cuz when the water pump went bad I had to do it all over again. I would personally do all the pulleys and tensioners as well. A lil extra cash will save ya a headache down the road. But I guess that's what's in the the kit. Good luck.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:21 PM   #8
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i have a 04 tacoma and my water pump is leaking and i'm just gonna replace timing belt,water pump,and everything else. Were would be the cheapest place to get the kit and what is a good brand?
How many miles on the 3.4?
Old 04-26-2011, 05:19 PM   #9
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh178 View Post
the kit i brought was made by aisin, not sure how good that brand is? got the pump,belt and tensioner for around 300.
I know Aisin from somewhere... i believe they also make PTO clutches. The clutch in my Wright commercial mower is an Aisin I think. To be an OEM in commercial mowers its gotta be pretty stout, I'd guess they make pretty good stuff
Old 04-27-2011, 06:31 AM   #11
fish
fish's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by twfsa View Post
How many miles on the 3.4?
67,xxx
Old 04-27-2011, 07:34 AM   #12

Quote:
67,xxx
likewise, i went ahead and did mine at 60k because of a leaky water pump.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:40 AM   #13
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
I just did mine this past Friday night, I used the following kit off of Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_7550wt_905

All of the parts were there and of good quality and were from Toyota suppliers.

The job took 6 hours, start to finish, taking my time.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post

i've done mine and jeff's, and its not really that bad of a job.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:51 AM   #15
Faster than a speeding ticket
Watari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Watari06V6's Tacoma Gallery
sub
Old 04-27-2011, 07:51 AM   #16
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
i've done mine and jeff's, and its not really that bad of a job.
Only cut my hand twice, stupid AC compressor. Thanks for the advice BTW, the breaker bar/starter trick on the crank bolt worked like a charm.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Only cut my hand twice, stupid AC compressor. Thanks for the advice BTW, the breaker bar/starter trick on the crank bolt worked like a charm.
no prob bud...glad it worked for ya.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:02 AM   #18

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
no prob bud...glad it worked for ya.
I tried the tool that I had made, but damn that bolt was tight! I did use the tool to torque it down during reassembly. I spoke with a Toyota tech, they do the same thing with the breaker bar/starter at the dealership.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:04 AM   #19

Quote:
I tried the tool that I had made, but damn that bolt was tight! I did use the tool to torque it down during reassembly. I spoke with a Toyota tech, they do the same thing with the breaker bar/starter at the dealership.
lol, yeah...the tool i had made didnt work worth a shit until reassembly.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #20
All your soul are belong to us
Enigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Enigmaaron's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Think it's just a typo on that eBay listing that it says 96-03? Or is there really a difference for the 04?

Sounds like doing this myself isn't as hard as it seems. I'm sitting at 96,000 and was planning on doing it around 100,000. But I was going to shop around prices at mechanics to get it done. I've done all of the work on my truck up to this point so I should probably be able to handle it.

jdmcq - I think you're right around the corner from me, want to help? (Or is there another mushroom capital besides kennett sq.?)