Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2.4 5 lug towing

Old 04-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
chadd925 is on a distinguished road
chadd925's Tacoma Gallery
2.4 5 lug towing

So I just bought a new three seater sea-doo. The ski weighs around 800 lbs, And with the trailer everything is probably around 1300 lbs. I have a automatic 2.4 ltr. Tacoma that I know will haul it without a problem, but my question is: Do I have to buy and install a trailer hitch? Or can I just bolt the tow ball onto my bumper where there is a plug... Thanks for your time!
Old 04-27-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
Creeper
DanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Keith
DanglingFury's Tacoma Gallery
If you plan on hauling this jet-ski very often you should probably invest in a receiver hitch. The bumper hitch would work but I wouldn't recommend it. It's up a little too high and isn't near as strong as a receiver hitch would be. Besides, a good receiever hitch is maybe $120.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
J-rob
beefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeefcake is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: J-Rob
beefcake's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadd925 View Post
So I just bought a new three seater sea-doo. The ski weighs around 800 lbs, And with the trailer everything is probably around 1300 lbs. I have a automatic 2.4 ltr. Tacoma that I know will haul it without a problem, but my question is: Do I have to buy and install a trailer hitch? Or can I just bolt the tow ball onto my bumper where there is a plug... Thanks for your time!
ya im not even sure why they have a spot for a ball to go on the bumper... you cant really tow much with it and it's not a good idea IMO. If you tow once in a great while it MAY be ok, but why risk $5000 worth of stuff for a $120 hitch? and if it helps i got mine from jcwhitney for around $130.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:11 AM   #4
tacosuprem will become famous soon enough
tacosuprem's Tacoma Gallery
The bumpers are rated to 3500lbs tow weight and 300lbs tongue weight. I tow 900 lbs with my bumper. But if i was to tow more i would think about a hitch.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:23 AM   #6
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
The bumper is FINE for this.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:27 AM   #7
So a bumper with a 3500 lb. tow weight capacity is questionable hauling a 1300 lb. total weight rig? The Bumper will actually bend? Something is not adding up here to me... Tacosuprem: Have you ever had any problems hauling that 900 lbs. off your bumper? Bending?
Old 04-28-2011, 08:15 AM   #8
tacosuprem will become famous soon enough
tacosuprem's Tacoma Gallery
Tows perfect. I cant even tell im towing. Bumper holds up fine, no bending. Just be careful when making tight turns going forward or backing up. The trailer will hit the bumper.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:32 AM   #9
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosuprem View Post
Tows perfect. I cant even tell im towing. Bumper holds up fine, no bending. Just be careful when making tight turns going forward or backing up. The trailer will hit the bumper.
X2 the max is 3500 with a tounge weight of 350...they have thoes numbers there for a reason. A 1300 lb wave runner is fine,
Old 04-28-2011, 08:41 AM   #10
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadd925 View Post
So a bumper with a 3500 lb. tow weight capacity is questionable hauling a 1300 lb. total weight rig? The Bumper will actually bend? Something is not adding up here to me... Tacosuprem: Have you ever had any problems hauling that 900 lbs. off your bumper? Bending?
I still wouldn't trust a jet ski and trailer (not cheap!) to a bumper for towing.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #11
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
1300 lbs is nothing. You will be absolutely fine towing off the bumper.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:34 AM   #12
Thanks for your help, and here is what I'm working with! Stoked!

Old 04-29-2011, 07:43 AM   #13
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFalk View Post
1300 lbs is nothing. You will be absolutely fine towing off the bumper.
not nothing, it can happen under any ammount of weight. i have a 1700 lb trailer and i bent mine. got a hitch the next day. spend the money and be safe. it will tow better too
Old 04-29-2011, 10:10 AM   #14
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I towed my mowing trailer for quite awhile on the bumper with no real issues (i have the same truck as you in an xtracab). It handles the weight fine, but it's easy to damage when backing. I put a dent and a huge scrape in my license plate with the tongue (really not a big deal but something to think about). I also jack knifed it once in a tight cul de sac and dented the bumper. It's probably fine with the bumper but be super careful. A jet ski trailer is really short and easy to jack knife on the ramp.take it slow.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #15
The bees know...
Aquatic Tacoma is a name known to allAquatic Tacoma is a name known to allAquatic Tacoma is a name known to allAquatic Tacoma is a name known to allAquatic Tacoma is a name known to allAquatic Tacoma is a name known to all

Navy: NavAir Reconn
Aquatic Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Just get the hitch. I provides many options besides just a ball mount. With the receiver you can use bike racks, extra cargo carrier, adjustable height ball mount, etc.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #16
Creeper
DanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Keith
DanglingFury's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTaco View Post
I put a dent and a huge scrape in my license plate with the tongue (really not a big deal but something to think about).
^ My license plate is BEAT TO HELL. The only reason I don't have a receiver hitch is . . . I don't pull a trailer very often . . at all. but it's still BEAT TO HELL.