1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Truck, Have a Few Issues

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Gonzoso, May 2, 2011.

1. May 2, 2011 at 2:32 PM
    Gonzoso

Gonzoso [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    NE PA
    Vehicle:
    2000 5spd 2.7L 4x4
    Tool box, Bedliner, Not too much yet as I bought it 4/28.
    So I got a new to me 2000 Regular cab DLX 2.7L 5 speed 4x4. It is in good shape and only has 85k miles on it. It has new paint and is in great shape. the frame just got inspected by Toyota and they did the undercoat thing.
    Here is a pic of my new truck. I paid 6,400.
    toyota_9e7509a18f497acd5c1b1f6d39ee209533a6fd63.jpg
    Those are 31x10.50's on it.

The engine does not leak, neither does the tranny. The Transfer case has a slight leak from the front propeller shaft and the steering lack has a slight leak which is really slow and isn't a huge issue right now. I have a second vehicle so I'm not driving the truck a whole lot right now anyway.

I've ordered all the gaskets for front and rear dif, tranny, transfer case, and the oil filter for the motor. The diff fill plug is kinds stripped so I ordered a new one for the rear and the front just in case.

How bad is it to do the front driveshaft seal on the t-case? The diagrams look like the steering rack is rebuild able, but is it feasible?

The issue I am worried about is the front suspension. The truck has what appears to be a 2-2.5" lift on it, which I suspect is a rough country. I don't know how long it has been on there but it looks fairly new. I've read some bad things about the spacer lifts, how bad is it to have one on there? I'm thinking of just ordering the front half of the ome lift and putting that on. What parts should I look at for excessive wear as the result of the spacer lift, and will an OME lift negate the issues involved with spacers?

2. May 2, 2011 at 3:14 PM
    kmok

kmok Plastidipped ma Hootus!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    Heads up on the front diff plug, it comes off with an allen wrench in case you didn't know. Spacer lifts are not very good, they make the truck ride like crap and makes it more likely to break a shock. The spacers only negatively affect the front struts (shock and coil). Make sure the rear isn't using a block to lift it, blocks are not good either. The OME lift will take care of the issues involved with spacers.

Products Discussed in

To Top