1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake Issue, Sticking

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by paddyshak, May 3, 2011.

1. May 3, 2011 at 8:46 PM
    paddyshak

paddyshak [OP] New Member

Member:
    I am starting to have an issue with my brakes and before I go tearing into anything I wanted to see if anyone might have some advise.

When I go to brake and press the pedal it feels like the breaks are beginning to grab and then release, this happens pretty quickly and just once. As I continue to press the pedal braking happens normally.

I am trying to figure out what might be causing that initial grab and release, any ideas?

Truck has about 137k miles and normal pad changes. Can't tell if it is front or rear and it does not pull when braking so probably not just one side.

Thanks

2. May 3, 2011 at 8:54 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    sounds like you need to lube the pins the pads ride on. easy fix

3. May 4, 2011 at 7:27 AM
    paddyshak

Member:
    What sort of lube should be used? Hope it is this simple.

4. May 4, 2011 at 7:57 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    can you define "start to grab & then release" & is the brake pedal somewhat hard to press ? ( God forbid its a power booster, I like Steves fix better)

5. May 4, 2011 at 9:32 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    An extremely thin coat of regular wheel bearing grease has always worked for me. Don't put too much or it will melt and get on your pads, not good.

6. May 5, 2011 at 7:12 AM
    paddyshak

Member:
    The brake pedal is not hard to press. As I press in the pedal the brakes start to catch and there is a little resistance in the pedal. This will then almost immediately release (with a slight 'clunk') and then the truck will brake as normal as I continue to press the pedal.

7. May 5, 2011 at 8:03 AM
    Quid

Quid Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Ventura County, CA
    K&N FIPK2 Intake Audiovox Cruise Control
    I have had a chevy work truck with a lot of miles that did the same thing. It was a sticking piston in one of the calipers. Rebuilt calipers are pretty cheap these days. Take the wheels off and look at the pad thickness from the top. The chevy had much more pad left on the sticking caliper.
    They make special grease for the pins, try that if everything looks good.

8. May 5, 2011 at 11:34 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Yep, kinda sounds like some piston seizing , i dunno, i'd bleed them /change fluid maybe (if too dirty) before getting calipers but sounds like your on the right track , good luck;)

Odd though, when I read "Clunk" first thing in my mind was axle wrap....

My bad thought you were the OP but sentiment is the same

9. May 5, 2011 at 11:44 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Disassemble, clean all contact surfaces down do bare metal, inspect for broken piston boot and unevenly worn pads, lube all contact surfaces with 3m caliper lube, reassemble. If it still does it, replace the caliper.
    Wheel bearing grease may work ok, but the 3m caliper lube works the best/longest. just a light coating(on where pads slide, backs of pads, inside of rotor hat where it meets the hub). DO NOT put on pad friction surfaces or in the rotor's braking surface.
    Uneven wear is caused by either a bad piston, or sticking guide pins. With 4 piston calipers, you can usually tell it's bad by how hard it is to push back in. The clean and lube will eliminate the guides as the culprit.

10. Nov 23, 2018 at 12:42 PM
    onefastdaddy

onefastdaddy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD
    Rcho 5k Comp TAs on stock rims
    Did OP get this resolved? I have a 2016 Tacoma TRD that at about 40k mi started grabbing...when first starting off I have to make some sharp turns out of the parking area and I can hear one of the front brakes binding. Then on stopping on slippery or cold pavement I can hear and feel it lock. I asked 3x I have asked Toyota, JiffyLube [ oil changes ] to inspect no one says anything...but that's just not normal. Seems to be getting worse. Orig brakes, pads, etc. Just normal services [ i.e. oil changes ]. Now 54k mi. I'm about to pull the from wheels and take a look myself. Any advice? Oh, added BF Goodrich Comp TA on Rancho 5k shocks ..

Products Discussed in

To Top