1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CB radio transmit issue

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 413cody, May 8, 2011.

1. May 8, 2011 at 6:40 PM
    413cody

413cody [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Wmass
    Vehicle:
    02 Black xtracab SR5 2.7l 5spd
    3 inch toytec suspension lift, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels, all-pro front and rear bumpers, tinted windows, hella auxillary lights, tinted LED tail lights, 285/75/16 BFG KM2 mud terrains
    Hello, I recently bought a black 2002 Tacoma SR5, and couldn't be happier with it, this is my first post on the forum by the way. Today, I installed the radio in place of the ash tray, installed the antenna and mount and tried to test it.

Now, I know nothing about these radios or antenna's, but my friend knows a little something about them, He has a fully functional cb in his f150 and I tried testing mine to his. Here's where the problems start. When he talks to me, I can hear him crystal clear through my radio. When I talk to him, his radio makes a high pitch squealing sound, and he can't understand me at all. I know this is going to be hard without pics, but my antenna mount is only attached to the bed liner, nothing else, (this has got to be part of the problem, correct??). My friend then would have his hands around the top of the antenna and it worked! As soon as he let go, nothing but squealing again. When tinkering around with it more, I had the antenna off the mount, made contact with the tip of it to a metal tie down and it worked perfectly. I don't have a clue, to save my life, where to go from here.

Please, any help at all would be appreciated. Sorry for the wordy post. I hope this post is in the right spot.

2. May 8, 2011 at 6:44 PM
    navysealboy93

navysealboy93 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Fort Lewis, WA
    Vehicle:
    Isuzu Trooper
    ARB front bumper, wagon wheels, 235/85 wranger's, OME 1.5 in. lift and Dakar springs.
    Welcome to TW.

I'd get in contact with the place you got the antenna from. What type of antenna is it?

Pics would be awesome too.

3. May 8, 2011 at 6:49 PM
    413cody

413cody [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Wmass
    Vehicle:
    3 inch toytec suspension lift, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels, all-pro front and rear bumpers, tinted windows, hella auxillary lights, tinted LED tail lights, 285/75/16 BFG KM2 mud terrains
    Thanks I can't wait to get started here, I feel these forums are going to be a great help. Anyway, it is a 3 ft firestik with tunable tip.

4. May 8, 2011 at 6:49 PM
    TacomaBuzz

TacomaBuzz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 RegCab 4x4 TX Special Edition
    Sirius, Bugflector,back-rack, stepsides.
    You need a "ground plane" which consists on a body of metal to reflect the signal. Your antenna also needs to be tuned correctly. If you transmit without tuning the antenna, you risk damaging your cb unit. The best place for the antenna is the roof as you want it as high as possible.

5. May 8, 2011 at 6:51 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    The squeeling is only because your rigs are too close and your radio modulates heavier than his. You need to ground that antenna to the body, then you need to calibrate the SWR with a meter. This is a transmitter. You need to match the antenna to the radio's transmit frequencies otherwise when you key the mike your output power will reflect back into your transmit coils and cook em. Read this
    http://www.rightchannelradios.com/pages/cb-antenna-tuning-and-swr-explained-pv-c0-58.html

6. May 8, 2011 at 6:54 PM
    TacomaBuzz

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    The tunable tip makes tuning easy , just screw the tip clockwise or counter clockwise to make it longer or shorter. You need to get the SWR (standing wave ratio) to an acceptable level by adjusting that tip. This is very important.

7. May 8, 2011 at 6:57 PM
    413cody

413cody [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Wmass
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the reply, I figured the trucks being too close would be an issue as well, but when we tried testing them by driving around at a good distance apart, same thing, i could here him, but he couldn't here me at all, obviously my setup needs to be tweeked. I just wanted to give you that info in case that made a difference at all.

8. May 8, 2011 at 7:00 PM
    TacomaBuzz

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Any questions, shoot me a pm, I have installed a few of these successfully.

9. May 8, 2011 at 7:02 PM
    413cody

413cody [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Wmass
    Vehicle:
    Thank you for your replies, How would I go about making sure there is a "ground plane" with my antenna and mount? Sorry for these noob questions, I wish I could have started here with something more interesting to talk about!

10. May 8, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    TacomaBuzz

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Find a good body of metal (roof) to reflect the signal . Some locations will yield a directional signal which will decrease your tx(transmit) reach. Examples of a directional signal would be the front/back fenders. The mount itself needs to be grounded to the body of your vehicle. the hood also makes a pretty good ground plane with a hood lip mount! The antenna needs to stick up above the highest point of the vehicle to be effective.

11. May 8, 2011 at 7:10 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    Get some #6 AWG coated copper wire and run it from the metal mount of the antenna to the metal body (shortest length possible) you truck body then becomes the groundplane:)

12. May 8, 2011 at 7:15 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Tacomabuzz knows his stuff. Think of the wave of your transmission needing a metal "plane" to radiate off of. Like buzz said-if you mount it on the rear bumper, your "wave" will radiate away from the front of your truck and continue mainly in that direction more than any other. If you mount the antenna right dead center of the roof-you will radiate in all directions-etc

13. May 8, 2011 at 7:30 PM
    JAJI4

JAJI4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sunshine State
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma; Double Cab; TRD Offroad; 2WD
    x2

14. May 8, 2011 at 8:04 PM
    navysealboy93

navysealboy93 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Fort Lewis, WA
    Vehicle:
    Isuzu Trooper
    ARB front bumper, wagon wheels, 235/85 wranger's, OME 1.5 in. lift and Dakar springs.
    lol dang, some quality info on CB's just got dropped in here. I learn something new (and awesome) everyday on this site.

Products Discussed in

To Top