1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

weird rattle under the bed when i let off the gas

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Stout890, May 12, 2011.

1. May 12, 2011 at 10:39 PM
    Stout890

Stout890 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    10" sub, OME881 on Bilstein's, 3" all-pro leaf springs with billies in the back, JBA UCA's, bed cover with custom LED lighting, k&n intake and DT headers, OEM E-locker in the rear. 32" BFG KO2 on steel D window wheels, suicide knob. rebuilt 3RZ w/ stage 1 cam and balance shaft delete . big 3 mod, all new suspension and body mount bushings. cat back magnaflow exhaust.
    well iv finally started driving my 99 taco and i had the rear shocks done since the last time i drove it. it has quieted up the back end tremendously. but now im left with a freaking loud rattle/squeak coming from behind the cab under the bed. that is only present when i let off of the throttle and kinda goes away a little while braking. and it does not occur at low speeds. it was most likely there before but couldn't hear it as well with all the rumbling driving on blown shocks makes.

the noise sound almost exactly like my mini bike exhaust does where the slip joint on the exhaust is rattling. i did notice before that my truck has a slip joint in the exhaust but i do not remember one in my 01 taco i had previously. there is also soot all around the smaller diameter tube.

i wonder if that is the noise i am hearing...my thinking is that it only rattles when back pressure is low..meaning while i am accelerating or maintaining freeway speeds the exhaust pressure keeps it from rattling but when i let off the gas the exhaust pressure decreases allowing the rattle to happen.

basically my main question for you guys is what do yall think? and is there supposed to be a slip joint in the exhaust piping? i can go get it welded tomorrow if its not supposed to be there. the exhaust does sound modified but looks stock as far as i can tell.

my only other idea is rear brakes??

thanks in advance for any ideas guys.

2. May 13, 2011 at 5:22 AM
    Enigmaaron

Enigmaaron All your soul are belong to us

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    1st gen superiority
    The stock exhaust on my 04 was a solid welded piece from the second cat to the end. I put on a magnaflow cat-back and have the same thing you describe because I couldn't get the clamps on tight enough on the muffler. Been meaning to fix it, for 5 years...

3. May 13, 2011 at 6:18 AM
    Space Wrangler

Space Wrangler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JCT
    Ga
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    04 Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab SAW 2.0's Alcan's Ion 171 wheels 15x8 (-27mm bs) 32" BFG AT's
    be sure to check the center support bearing. when it starts to go, it can cause a lot of weird sounds and vibrations.

4. May 13, 2011 at 12:48 PM
    Stout890

Stout890 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    10" sub, OME881 on Bilstein's, 3" all-pro leaf springs with billies in the back, JBA UCA's, bed cover with custom LED lighting, k&n intake and DT headers, OEM E-locker in the rear. 32" BFG KO2 on steel D window wheels, suicide knob. rebuilt 3RZ w/ stage 1 cam and balance shaft delete . big 3 mod, all new suspension and body mount bushings. cat back magnaflow exhaust.
    thanks enigma that helps me confirm my thoughts...and @ space wrangler, where and what exactly is the center support bearing? id be more than willing to inspect it as i am trying to get this truck running like new again.

5. May 13, 2011 at 12:53 PM
    96Taco

96Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2014 DBL CAB Tacoma
    You will see the center support bearing if you just follow the drive shaft from the transmission to the back diff. It's what holds up your drive shaft. With a split drive shaft it holds up the first part of the drive shaft before the joint. Grab the drive shaft a few inches from the center support bearing and check how much free play. About 1/2" is acceptable.

If you still cannot find it, let me know and I will get you a photo.

Products Discussed in

To Top