Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1st Gen front end questions

Old 05-13-2011, 06:05 AM   #1
Urban Redneck is on a distinguished road
Urban Redneck's Tacoma Gallery
1st Gen front end questions

I just got a 2004 Tacoma and am loving it, but I have a few questions:

1 - I just installed a Weathertech bug guard. I didn't put down the glue strip as I'm worried about what happens if and when I want to take it off. Will it pull up the paint? Is the guard OK without that padded glue strip or will it chip if it comes in contact with the hood? ... I want to keep this baby looking sharp ...

2 - Would you guys mind posting photos of your grill guards and bumper guards? Armor is my next purchase and for the front I can't decided between the Westin Sportsman or the Ares one piece. As for bumper guards, I've seen the kind that go in the trailer hitch and act as a step, and the kind that's essentially two bars that run the length of the bumper ... I can't decide what will look best ...

Thanks for the help. I'm loving this forum. Been wasting many an hour looking at pics of everyone's sick trucks ...
Attached Thumbnails
1st Gen front end questions-imag0051.jpg   1st Gen front end questions-img00047-20110512-1747.jpg  
Old 05-13-2011, 06:20 AM   #2
Nuttier than squirrel shit.
BFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
BFA's Tacoma Gallery
not sure about the bug guard but id go with a real bumper.. like the trail gear rock defense bumper.. the stock bumper is crap and a bull bar doesnt provide any protection

and welcome to the forum
Old 05-13-2011, 08:44 AM   #3
facemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chase
facemob's Tacoma Gallery
This is with a manik bar. got it for free from a friend. is somewhat of a bitch on the stock front suspension. i take it off every now and then, only reason its on most of the time is because my apartment lot is super small and crowded and i work at a restaurant / bar so if it gets tapped the bar offers SOME protection.... but like BFA said, it doesnt offer REAL protection. I wouldn't have paid any real amount of money for it but like i said, it was a giveaway
Attached Thumbnails
1st Gen front end questions-taco-bar.jpg   1st Gen front end questions-taco-bar-2.jpg  
Old 05-14-2011, 07:19 AM   #4
Urban Redneck is on a distinguished road
Urban Redneck's Tacoma Gallery
Cool. The Manik looks pretty similar to the Westen and Ares. I suppose they're all pretty much the same ...

I still don't know about that bug guard, tho ... I suppose I'll just run it like it is and see what happens ...
Old 05-14-2011, 07:48 AM   #5
NegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NegroTundra's Tacoma Gallery
Here is the Westin. Truck came with it when I bought it. I ended up selling it for reasons stated above and am saving for a shockworks bumper.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:34 AM   #6
All your soul are belong to us
Enigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Enigmaaron's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NegroTundra View Post
Here is the Westin. Truck came with it when I bought it. I ended up selling it for reasons stated above and am saving for a shockworks bumper.
Keep your eye out for the Relentless bumper group buy coming soon. I'm waiting for that one. Either that or the Elite Off-Road bumper. Both are vendors on here, check em out. Shrockworks are a bit overpriced and apparently take forever to get. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:34 PM   #7
ahermanson09 is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
ahermanson09's Tacoma Gallery
What would you all suggest I use to paint the chrome around the front grill of the 1st gen tacomas?
Old 05-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
Tacoma Lover
SupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
SupraT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahermanson09 View Post
What would you all suggest I use to paint the chrome around the front grill of the 1st gen tacomas?

I used Duplicolor bedliner spray and it turned out good.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
jeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BM3 1st Div.
Name: Jeff
jeff b's Tacoma Gallery
If you like the Westin style then you'll hate mine.