Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1st. Gen Tacoma Buyers Guide

Old 02-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #61
scotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scotrinaf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBro View Post
My truck was a 2003 Crew Cab V6 PreRunner SR5 not TRD.... Is that the same as the Limited?
If you go to NADA.com and click Double Cab 2003 Tacoma PreRunner Limited there is not an option to take TRD off the check list.
If you just call it a Double Cab 2003 Tacoma PreRunner 2WD the value is $1,000 less even with the SR5 option.

How do I know which one my truck was?

Try www.kbb.com sometimes they have more accurate information on their site.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #62
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotrinaf View Post
Try www.kbb.com sometimes they have more accurate information on their site.
In my experience (and the experience of others) KBB was way under market, usually about $2k, at least for a truck in my spec a couple years ago. So even if you can select more precise options, the price probably won't mean much.

I assume "SR5 not TRD" would be as close as you can get to Limited. Without digging, I think the Limited had chrome mirrors in addition to the color-matched fender flares and bumpers. Not sure if it had more goodies inside.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #63
scotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
In my experience (and the experience of others) KBB was way under market, usually about $2k, at least for a truck in my spec a couple years ago. So even if you can select more precise options, the price probably won't mean much.

I assume "SR5 not TRD" would be as close as you can get to Limited. Without digging, I think the Limited had chrome mirrors in addition to the color-matched fender flares and bumpers. Not sure if it had more goodies inside.

Wonder if it has something to do with where you live? In my experience, NADA is always lower than KBB in Northeast TN and Central NC.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #64
Limited
lucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lucky73's Tacoma Gallery
check all (transmission,air,differential) filter and fluid
pull up all bed mats and look for rust
check for wear on spark wires
check for correct spark plugs

if buying from dealer assume no services were actually done before sale, like 100k
Old 02-15-2012, 11:56 PM   #65
Husband & Daddy ;)
BigBro is on a distinguished road

Name: Carson
BigBro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky73 View Post
check all (transmission,air,differential) filter and fluid
pull up all bed mats and look for rust
check for wear on spark wires
check for correct spark plugs

if buying from dealer assume no services were actually done before sale, like 100k

Thanks for the Info.... and sorry to be dumb, but how do I know if the spark plugs are correct? Pull them out? looking for wrong look or will they say something on them?

I hate to say it but I am vehicle dumb! :-/ I do have friends around that know cars / trucks, but not any that are Tacoma minded... lol
Old 02-16-2012, 12:01 AM   #66
Husband & Daddy ;)

BigBro's Tacoma Gallery
Oh yeah and incase anyone else wants to look up the info on their truck.... I found out that on the NADA website they have a VIN check, which if you enter your VIN number will tell you if the truck is/was any or all of the following PreRunner, TRD, SR5, Limited.

I found out mine was an 03 SR5 not TRD Limited. And the reason I was looking more at NADA is because my insurance company is basing replacement value off the NADA value...... which for what ever in my case works in my favore, as I checked KBB and my truck is worth about $1500 more according to NADA than KBB in my area!

If any of you are cool with praying, please pray that my wife and I find an awesom deal on an awesome 4 door Tacoma in the next week to replace the last one!!!! Thanks!
Old 02-16-2012, 05:50 AM   #67
Limited
lucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lucky73's Tacoma Gallery
Emotorswest in Sacramento has 4-8 gen1 doublecabs all the time

See my other note about service items if you buy there
Old 02-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #68

Quote:
Thanks for the Info.... and sorry to be dumb, but how do I know if the spark plugs are correct? Pull them out? looking for wrong look or will they say something on them?

I hate to say it but I am vehicle dumb! :-/ I do have friends around that know cars / trucks, but not any that are Tacoma minded... lol

Pull one out and look at it... You'll need a Spark Plug Socket, a ratchet and a 6-8" extension...
Old 02-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #69
Husband & Daddy ;)

BigBro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Pull one out and look at it... You'll need a Spark Plug Socket, a ratchet and a 6-8" extension...
Ok thanks!!!
Old 02-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #70
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Ok thanks!!!
Is this a v6? I strongly suggest using some electrical tape to secure the socket to the extension.
This (K16TR11) is the stock Denso plug (attached), which should always be used. Note the double electrodes.
Attached Thumbnails
1st. Gen Tacoma Buyers Guide-dsc08566.jpg  
Old 07-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #71
BrianLV is on a distinguished road
BrianLV's Tacoma Gallery
I dont know about you guys, but I have had at least 10 people ask If I was interested in selling my truck. Thats how you know your vehicle is in high demand.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:55 AM   #72

My neighbor came over yesterday and asked if I wanted to sell mine, I said, welllll, for the right price, maybe, but I don't think you could afford that price... LOL
Old 07-08-2012, 08:47 AM   #73

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Wonder if it has something to do with where you live? In my experience, NADA is always lower than KBB in Northeast TN and Central NC.
I wasn't comparing KBB with NADA. I was responding to the other poster's recommendation to use KBB.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #74
Agent
MRBOND101 is on a distinguished road

Name: Dylan
MRBOND101's Tacoma Gallery
Great thread and info thanks!
Old 08-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #75
RadoTaco01 is on a distinguished road

Name: Shawzee
RadoTaco01's Tacoma Gallery
Thx for the info!! Just used it to buy an 01 double cab. Now the fun begins
Old 08-14-2012, 04:58 AM   #76
Newb
ERG80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedERG80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedERG80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedERG80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedERG80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedERG80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedERG80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedERG80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedERG80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedERG80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedERG80 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ERG80's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadoTaco01 View Post
Thx for the info!! Just used it to buy an 01 double cab. Now the fun begins
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBOND101 View Post
Great thread and info thanks!
I'm glad it's been helpful. Enjoy your trucks!
Old 11-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #77
Jellero is on a distinguished road
Name: Josh
Jellero's Tacoma Gallery
2002 option

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERG80 View Post
Year–to-Year Changes:

Lots more info here: http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/tacoma/history.html

1996 Toyota Tacoma: For '96, Toyota's Tacoma pickup is provided with a new off-road package that includes a locking rear differential. The new unit is available only on regular-cab 4WD models with a manual transmission. On 2WD models it includes a rear differential locking system, 31-inch tires on alloy wheels, and a tachometer. On 4WD models, Toyota charges a little more, but adds the the following options: bucket seats, a center console, and 4WDemand, the more sophisticated of Toyota's two 4-wheel-drive systems.
1997 Toyota Tacoma: For 1997, 2WD models get a new grille and flush headlights. Also, the base 2.4-liter engine gains a new ignition system and a more sophisticated sequential multipoint fuel-injection system.

1998 Toyota Tacoma: This is the year Tacoma received its first cosmetic face lift. Tacoma finally gets a passenger-side airbag, and the SR5 models get a new name--Limited. Prerunner models started in 98. They share the same front and rear suspension parts and geometry, frame, styling and engine options as the 4x4 Tacomas of this year range. Prerunner Tacomas also had the option of the TRD Off-Road package which (like the 4x4) got a rear differential locker if it was a V6 model (among other suspension variations). One downside is there was not option of a 5-speed transmission. The V6 Tacoma automatic transmissions were an A340E. Because of the similarities in the Prerunner and 4x4 models, it is possible to use stock parts to convert a Prerunner to a 4x4. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...onversion.html
1999 Toyota Tacoma: Seatbelt pretensioners topped the short list of changes for '99.
2000 Toyota Tacoma: Intermittent windshield wipers became standard, and models with ABS now had daytime running lights. Four-wheel-drive trucks got numerically higher axle ratios for quicker takeoffs.

2001 Toyota Tacoma: In 2001 Tacoma’s received another front facelift, New for 2001 were 4-door Double Cabs with four front-opening doors and a 60/40 folding rear bench seat. All models got a restyled front end with a raised hood and prominent grille. Also added for 2001 was a new S-Runner model--a manual-transmission V6 PreRunner Xtracab with stiffer springs, premium shock absorbers, color-keyed exterior, and special interior appointments.
2002 Toyota Tacoma: There were no significant changes for 2002.
2003 Toyota Tacoma: Antilock brakes were made standard on all models for 2003.
2004 Toyota Tacoma: The Tacoma loses its optional flare-fender StepSide cargo box in 2004.

More info on ETCS here: http://www.toyota.com/safety/electro...ontrol-system/
FYI 2002 was the only year of the 1st Gen that a sunroof was an option and only on the limited edition
Old 11-14-2012, 04:31 AM   #78
Jellero's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
Incorrect. No need to spread false information to potential buyers.
If you know then enlighten us with the truth. I'd like to know. What years and and models are a moon roof/sunroof available on first gens?
Old 11-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #79
Jellero's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I do not know the specific options available at the time of purchase. I do know I have seen several pre 01-04 body style Tacomas with sunroofs, starting all the way back with the 96's.

It goes along the lines that you could buy a tacoma with an e-locker before the TRD trim level came out.

Even more rare option I have seen, was an individual who was selling their tacoma here who had a 98-00 body truck, factory sunroof, and he says factory leather seats. Seemed to look factory as well as the shape of the seats matched that of the cloth wrapped seats. I haven't seen the leather option before or after, but who knows, Toyota was weird when they were building these trucks back then.
Awesome, That would be cool to see. I know what you mean about the weird Toyota stuff. I have a buddy that owned an 2002 extra cab V-6, 6 speed manual trans with a sunroof. When he traded the truck in a couple years back the dealer told him it was a demo and that each stealership got one of these and somehow he bought it Anyway he says they gave him 2k more for it than book on the trade in but I think he still got ripped off.

I guess that I should have been a little bit more specific in my post. I was referring to the 01 to 04 Tacoma series when I made the comment about sunroof/moon roof option only being offered in 2002. I need to do a little more research to be sure. Thanks
Old 11-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #80
Jellero's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
6spd? What?

Good luck with the research, its hard to get real facts on these things
I would never have believed it either but it's true.