Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Just got my truck, I have a few questions.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #1
futuretacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: First Responder, Primary Care Paramedic, Advanced EMT
Name: Andrew
futuretacoowner's Tacoma Gallery
Just got my truck, I have a few questions.

My truck is a 2002 4x4 it has the Trd off road markings, but i think they may have just been put on.
First question I have is, I do not have the button to lock the differentials, in place i have a switch for some lights in front. How much and how difficult would it be to get a locking differential.

Second question is, I have a rattling noise coming from the passenger side airbag. I think it is just the cover that is loose anyway to fix that. I know its a minor detail, but I want to have this truck in the best condition possible.

Next Question, I there anything i can do to help increase gas mileage?

Thanks Guys, any answers are very much appreciated.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
Littlebro 5 will become famous soon enough

Name: Tyler
Littlebro 5's Tacoma Gallery
check on the rear axel so if you are looking at the back of the truck look at the diff and if your drain plug is to the left side your truck is trd if it is to the right you are open diff.
i dont know about the air bag sorry.
gas mileg you can do see foam, deck plate mod 6" or 4".
Old 05-14-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
Glitterdick
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats on the purchase.

For the diff lock, yes, check underneath on the rear diff to see if one is even installed. It will be on the front driver side of the diff. But I doubt it if the dash button isn't there. Post a pic of your dash button for us. My guess is that you should be able to install one pretty easily, but I'm not sure.

The air bag/dash rattle is pretty common and random. Search "dash rattle" in the 1st gen forum for a vaiety fo fixes. I think there are several kinds of dash rattle...

Mileage...what are you getting? What kind/size of tires do you have? And is the alignment in spec? Are the plugs and air filter clean? Biggest culprit is usually a heavy foot. There is no real secret here; only the typical mileage issues apply.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
futuretacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yup there is no locking differential. Time to find one. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:49 AM   #5
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Just buy a powertrax lockrite. Much better, no wiring.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:38 PM   #6

so this week i think i am gonna use sea foam, change the oil, change the air filter and change the spark plugs. anything else i should do?
Old 05-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats, time to change your name! For gas mileage all of what has been said, and I assume you have done or checked the basics (air filter, new plugs, etc.)?
Old 05-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #8
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of condition/size are your tires so we can recommend a few things?
Old 05-14-2011, 03:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjew18 View Post
Congrats, time to change your name! For gas mileage all of what has been said, and I assume you have done or checked the basics (air filter, new plugs, etc.)?
I PMed tcbob to get my name changed, and yeah i am changing my sparkplugs and air filter when i get back home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
What kind of condition/size are your tires so we can recommend a few things?
my tires are kumho off road tires 265/75r16 in pretty good condition.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:01 PM   #10

So I want to Seafoam my engine, my step dad says that with such a high mileage engine it will do more harm then good. He says the gunk and sludge is helping to keep everything sealed. I need your opinion guys what do you think, will it help or make things worse??
Old 05-18-2011, 09:34 PM   #11
NegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NegroTundra's Tacoma Gallery
tell us more about your truck and quit making us ask questions......how many miles on your truck?
Old 05-18-2011, 10:27 PM   #12
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by futuretacoowner View Post
So I want to Seafoam my engine, my step dad says that with such a high mileage engine it will do more harm then good. He says the gunk and sludge is helping to keep everything sealed. I need your opinion guys what do you think, will it help or make things worse??
I just sea foamed my engine for the first time a few weeks ago and I have 196,000 miles on mine. It will be fine. I haven't had one hiccup out of it and it runs better now than before.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:46 PM   #13
Mall Crawler of the Year
TRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDBen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
TRDBen's Tacoma Gallery
+1 for Sea Foaming it. Also, you might just wanna give her a good once over (and under) just to familiarize yourself with the truck. Learn as much as you can about how the truck works rather than just throwing parts at it. Congrats on getting a Taco though!
Old 05-18-2011, 11:49 PM   #14
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by futuretacoowner View Post
I agree and disagree. I will not seafoam my truck just because I don't like the fact that flakes of carbon have to pass through the exhaust valves and get blown out. I disagree on the part of the "gunk holding everything together" though
Old 05-19-2011, 09:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegroTundra View Post
tell us more about your truck and quit making us ask questions......how many miles on your truck?
sorry man i thought i put how many kms are on it, it has 261,000 km so thats 162,000 miles