LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Broken Leaf Spring....For The Fourth Time?!

Old 05-15-2011, 07:09 AM   #1
donalddemon is on a distinguished road
donalddemon's Tacoma Gallery
Broken Leaf Spring....For The Fourth Time?!

The previous three times I had taken it to a spring replacement fabricator and they fabricated a new leaf for about $225. That's too much $$ IMO but there are no cheaper options around here (NJ).

The problem is (obviously) that it keeps breaking. I can't keep spending that money every time. Should I just buy replacement aftermarket springs and do it myself? Where should I get it from? Any other options.

Between this and my a/c breaking all the time I almost ready to ditch this struck. I've had it for 7 years though and can't afford a new one.

FYI, I don't tow, off-road, or haul large amounts. The roads are pretty terrible in this state and I think that it just keeps breaking from pot holes.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:13 AM   #2
Yes, I got boost
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
For that price why don't you just buy entirely new leaf packs? $500 will get you new packs... Sounds to me like you just keep putting a band-aid on the issue and that's not going to solve your problems
Old 05-15-2011, 07:47 AM   #3
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
" The previous three times I had taken it to a spring replacement fabricator and they fabricated a new leaf for about $225. That's too much $$ IMO but there are no cheaper options around here (NJ)."

Why in the hell is a SHOP letting you purchase that same spring 3 times??? Someone SHOULD be looking at the WHOLE picture,not just the $$$$ to replace parts....

Next spring purchase will have you over a grand..;that is a set of new leaf packs....

I hope someone in your area can be trusted to fix this,have you tried asking in the regional section of TW, maybe get a lead to a good 4x4 shop or garage that has treated others well ????
Old 05-15-2011, 08:03 AM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
For that price why don't you just buy entirely new leaf packs? $500 will get you new packs... Sounds to me like you just keep putting a band-aid on the issue and that's not going to solve your problems
Yeah that is the plan now. I see that Wheeler's site has a pair for $449. Are they reliable?
Old 05-15-2011, 08:05 AM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoope View Post
" The previous three times I had taken it to a spring replacement fabricator and they fabricated a new leaf for about $225. That's too much $$ IMO but there are no cheaper options around here (NJ)."

Why in the hell is a SHOP letting you purchase that same spring 3 times??? Someone SHOULD be looking at the WHOLE picture,not just the $$$$ to replace parts....

Next spring purchase will have you over a grand..;that is a set of new leaf packs....

I hope someone in your area can be trusted to fix this,have you tried asking in the regional section of TW, maybe get a lead to a good 4x4 shop or garage that has treated others well ????
I'm in NJ...no one can be trusted, LOL.

They did repair the third time for free but only because it was 6 months after it was replaced! So I only paid for the repair twice, but I won't be going back for a third time!
Old 05-15-2011, 08:05 AM   #6
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
I was just going to suggest Wheelers...I've had mine for a year now. If you don't haul, etc you could get away with the 4-leaf pack. Definitely would be a better investment than fixing your current leaf packs!

Talk to YotaDan at Wheelers...he'll take care of you.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
donalddemon,

Yes on both; Wheelers has many TW residents backing them and if Lisa backs them;well thats a given...ever see her jumping around in her "Bed"...girl is crazy .....there is a pic somewhere on here to prove my point......I'm going hide now.....NOT....

Good luck with that spring upgrade and keep us posted...maybe you can find that one place in JERSEY that can be trusted....
Old 05-15-2011, 08:21 AM   #8
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/nor...-nj-tacos.html

maybe some of the other Jersey boys here can point you in the direction of a reliable shop...
Old 05-16-2011, 07:03 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
I was just going to suggest Wheelers...I've had mine for a year now. If you don't haul, etc you could get away with the 4-leaf pack. Definitely would be a better investment than fixing your current leaf packs!

Talk to YotaDan at Wheelers...he'll take care of you.
Awesome, thanks! Looks like I will be placing an order on my next paycheck. The most I haul around is band equipment, which probably isnít more than 300 lbs. I think the 4-leaf will do fine.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:25 AM   #10
Carpe Diem
Kuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
I got the ebay springs and i could not be happier. I haul so much fire wood that the rear is damn near locked up. I beat the piss out of the truck through the wood... It is used as a truck with the exception of towing. I do not tow with it. Its only a 4cyl. I use my 2011 if I need to tow something.

I even drag trees with it...
Old 05-18-2011, 07:10 AM   #11
Which ebay springs are they? So far the wheeler's 3-leaf springs look like the most cost effective replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuneff View Post
I got the ebay springs and i could not be happier. I haul so much fire wood that the rear is damn near locked up. I beat the piss out of the truck through the wood... It is used as a truck with the exception of towing. I do not tow with it. Its only a 4cyl. I use my 2011 if I need to tow something.

I even drag trees with it...
Old 05-18-2011, 07:30 AM   #12
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Springs arent going to break from pot holes. What lift are you running in the rear?
Old 05-18-2011, 10:36 AM   #13
Carpe Diem
Kuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
^that was my thoughts as well... but I haven't seen the size of the pot holes where he lives.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:20 PM   #14
Littlebro 5 will become famous soon enough

Name: Tyler
Littlebro 5's Tacoma Gallery
All pro
Old 05-19-2011, 05:28 AM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Springs arent going to break from pot holes. What lift are you running in the rear?
No lift, my truck is pretty much stock. NJ has atrocious roads with killer pot holes. Other than the first time I broke the leaf going down a curb (slowly mind you), they have always broken from casual use. I donít even take it off-roading anymore because I canít afford to fix it!
Old 05-19-2011, 06:09 AM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
I drove in Jersey for about 5 miles.........the stench and the rough roads had me cursing the entire way through.
Like they say, only the strong survive. You must have driven on the Turnpike. It doesnít stink like that everywhere.

So are the All Proís any better/worse than the Alcan from Wheelerís? They seem similar in price.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:26 AM   #17
Admiral of the JOLLY ROGER navy
micropiper is a splendid one to beholdmicropiper is a splendid one to beholdmicropiper is a splendid one to beholdmicropiper is a splendid one to beholdmicropiper is a splendid one to beholdmicropiper is a splendid one to beholdmicropiper is a splendid one to behold

Name: damion
micropiper's Tacoma Gallery
after mine broke wheeling I got a set off of a 2002 dbl cab with the v6. No issues since and it completely killed my wheelhop issue too. Just another idea. Got my springs from craigslist.