Notices

Transmission cooler??????

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-19-2011, 11:32 PM   #1
Littlebro 5 will become famous soon enough

Name: Tyler
Littlebro 5's Tacoma Gallery
Question Transmission cooler??????

I am looking to get a good but cheap transmission cooler for my 3.4 5 speed sr5 no TRD stock 4:10 gearing . I will be pulling a ski boat, gear, gas and wood. My truck pulls all of that grate but I would like to stay cool wal towing. What do you have or would say is a good transmission cooler. Oh and how do I know if my truck has the towing pack. Thanks
Old 05-20-2011, 04:10 AM   #2
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

Name: Ant
shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not even sure that a 5 speed is capable of adding a cooler, automatics u can.open ur hood and look at the fan clutch shaft if it has the color green on it it is has the tow package if its orange u do not.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:31 AM   #3
Space Wrangler is on a distinguished road

Name: JCT
Space Wrangler's Tacoma Gallery
tranny coolers are only for autos. ..that's one of the few advantages a manual has over an auto. ...it just doesn't overheat.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #4

Ok cool thanks guys.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Wrangler View Post
tranny coolers are only for autos. ..that's one of the few advantages a manual has over an auto. ...it just doesn't overheat.
Ummmm well if you have a horrible driver behind the wheel you can overheat the clutch. In the end though this thread is about autos so manual talk is pointless here. Great job.

OP, try Summit for oil coolers.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:52 PM   #6

Ok thanks. I will do a oil cooler
Old 05-20-2011, 01:55 PM   #7

What do I get with the towing pack
Old 05-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebro 5 View Post
Ok thanks. I will do a oil cooler
By oil cooler I meant the tranny cooler.

Quote:
What do I get with the towing pack
I'm not sure what comes with the 1st gen tow packages but for the 2nd gen you get a higher amp alternator, class 4 hitch, 7 pin trailer connector, trailer brake harness, tranny oil cooler for the autos and an engine oil cooler.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:48 PM   #9

I have the towing pack so I will be all good.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #11
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
I thought the 3.4L came with an integrated oil cooler .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPICOTACO View Post
Doin a lil research on my "new" truck, and discovered that I do have the factory tow package (green shaft) but i didn't see an additional transmition cooler.. did it come with one from the factory? thanks
I think the tow package was just a hitch attached to the frame vice the bumper. As far as transmission cooler, the 1st gen never provided one (look at my thread HERE and you can find a write up on a Transmission cooler HERE). Again, it is only for Automatic transmissions, not manuals.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #12
4Running
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 37th Helicopter Squadron
Name: Adam
AlphaEcho2k5's Tacoma Gallery
I used this http://www.amazon.com/70268-SuperCoo...3026366&sr=8-1

The site has a couple of write ups.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:21 PM   #13
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPICOTACO View Post
Doin a lil research on my "new" truck, and discovered that I do have the factory tow package (green shaft) but i didn't see an additional transmition cooler.. did it come with one from the factory? thanks
you dont need a trans cooler with a manual.

as for what the tow package gets (besides the obvious) the only thing that I remember is that the fan clutch stays engaged for longer.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:46 PM   #14
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Ummmm well if you have a horrible driver behind the wheel you can overheat the clutch. In the end though this thread is about autos so manual talk is pointless here. Great job.

OP, try Summit for oil coolers.
I'll extend that "great job" to your reading skills...

Quote:
I am looking to get a good but cheap transmission cooler for my 3.4 5 speed sr5 no TRD stock 4:10 gearing . I will be pulling a ski boat, gear, gas and wood. My truck pulls all of that grate but I would like to stay cool wal towing. What do you have or would say is a good transmission cooler. Oh and how do I know if my truck has the towing pack. Thanks
What's been said so far is true. There just isn't any risk of overheating gear oil in your 5 speed like there is with the ATF in the auto
Old 08-11-2011, 09:07 AM   #15
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TIPICOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
you dont need a trans cooler with a manual.
Mine's automatic, so I need one (this was the most recent thread on the subject so I resurrected it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
I thought the 3.4L came with an integrated oil cooler .
... integrated. I guess thats the answer I was looking for.. thanks
Old 08-11-2011, 09:20 AM   #16
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
^ Thats just the engine oil, not the transmission oil (the 3.4L came an engine oil cooler - not sure how effective it is).

For a transmission cooler, you need an aftermarket one. Refer to my link above for a write up/how to .

Products Discussed in this Thread