1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone ever use Dr. Colorchip?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by RAT PRODUCTS, May 21, 2011.

1. May 21, 2011 at 4:47 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Hey,
    Trying to get my truck looking good before I sell and I need to touch up quite a bit of road rash chips on my rear quarter panels where gravel did its toll. I did some research and it looks like Dr. Colorchip might be the best fix. Anyone have experience with it on your vehicle?

2. Feb 13, 2012 at 6:40 AM
    jackhart

jackhart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB
    reviving an older thread (after searching) because after posting in another thread about this product, i wanted to let people know that dr. colorchip is one of my very highly recommended and favorite products. it isn't cheap as far as touch up paint goes, but if you are really anal about your paint, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than doing a full respray, and you should know this product does do exactly what it says it will do. does not leave that "blob" of paint that normal touch up products do. just blends in smooth and the rock chips literally disappear.

if you really don't care about chips and scratches to your paint, then i would not waste my time, or $, with this product, it's not for you. a little bottle of regular touch up will probably suit you fine.

as far as i can tell, the secret to the product is this chemical that you wipe on after painting the chip. after applying the paint to the chip with a small paintbrush or q-tip, you then "smear" the touch up spot you just painted with a rubber - gloved finger (glove is provided). this flattens out the "blob" but also spreads some touch up paint on your undamaged factory paint. You then wait a few minutes, and apply this liquid chemical (love to know exactly what it is, as this is the whole secret to their process) to a small wipe, and run it over the repair, including the area around the chip which has the excess paint. it removes the residual paint from your factory paint (but somehow not from the chip), and further smooths out the repair paint in the chip. the chip really blends in well to your factory paint job. while you may know the repair is there, from a few feet away the chip is extremely difficult to identify.

now there have been a few larger chip repairs (like 3/8") where i could still tell a repair had been made, it wasn't perfect, but you have to be realistic as to the size of the repair. they explain this in the directions. this product works really well on smaller chips. also, while the paint they make for you is an exact match to your factory paint, it also won't work as well on deep long scratches - and they also tell you this right up front. does it still work? yes, it does, but it looks like a normal touch up repair, the scratch doesn't "disappear" like it does with the small rock chips. which isn't a bad thing, just don't think those deep scratches or gouges are going to disappear like the chips do.

a word of caution. one of the things i found difficult was repairing numerous little rock chips at one time - because i was in a hurry. on the front painted grill of my jeep, i probably had 30 or so chips which had accumulated over several years. you certainly can hit them all at once, and then wait a few minutes for them to "dry" before applying the chemical wipe (iirc you can wait an hour or even two after painting the chips, to apply the chemical), the problem arises in REMEMBERING where each little repair chip was made. sometimes they disappear after you "smear" them. this happened to me on the hood of my Excursion, and the next day after a few chips had dried, i could see the "smear" marks that i had failed to wipe with the chemical the afternoon before. they didn't look so good. i could no longer wipe them as they had fully dried. that always bothered me. from now on, i do one chip at a time.

also, let's say your bumper is absolutely peppered with rock chips? i would not waste my time with dr. colorchip. i would respray instead. i never would have attempted this myself, until i began watching that show "Wheeler Dealers." that guy does amazing repairs using a rattle can.

i resprayed the front bumper of my Excursion last summer completely using rattle can from a company called Automotive Touchup, rather than trying to fill each individual rock chip. the local auto body shop wanted $450 to respray it. i ordered everything from wet sandpaper, to plastic overspray wrap, to painting tape, to primer, to color coat, to laquer, and it cost me under $100 in supplies. it came out awesome and i did it in my driveway! the neat thing they have is a plastic trigger mechanism (i think it costs like $3 o4 $4) that affixes to the rattle can so you can spray by squeezing a trigger (like on a paint gun), rather than pressing your index finger down on a button where it quickly gets tired. you spray nice and even coats this way, and it works well.

i will try to dig up some pictures of the repairs i have made, i am not sure i have any before and after of dr. colorchip repairs, but i do have some of my resprayed bumper.

cheers.

hollow92fs likes this.
  3. Feb 13, 2012 at 7:38 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Thanks for the bump. I went ahead and purchased dr colorchip over the summer. I was very impressed. It covered up all the chips on my rocker panels with ease. I did 2 coats to get a decent amount of paint in the chip and it blended perfectly. I'm a fan.

4. Feb 13, 2012 at 7:53 AM
    Surferdude

Surferdude Erich

Member:
    First Name:
    Erich
    Grayslake, il
    Vehicle:
    '11, DC SR5, 4x4
    ProEFX Tonneau cover, Coverking seat covers, Weathertech front floor liners, Coverking Cab Cover, Westin nerfs, in transit...
    Washed my truck this weekend (16 degrees out) and while drying, noticed a few small chips. So, I just ordered this stuff.

I'll post some before/after photos once it arrives.

Thanks for the tips.

5. Sep 3, 2012 at 10:45 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Bump.

I have a question for the guys who have used the Dr. Colorchip system. Mine just came in the mail and I've never used this stuff before. Should the Step 1 (paint I'd assume) be the same color as the truck paint? Reason I ask is I have a white truck but the paint is black. It does have the correct color code hand writen in paint on the lid of the jar. So, should the step 1 jar match the truck's paint or does the blending stuff change the color that drastically?

6. Sep 3, 2012 at 10:54 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    The paint in my jar is the exact same color as my truck, imperial jade mica. If you have a white truck I'm pretty sure the paint should be white. I guess you could try it on cardboard or something.

7. Sep 3, 2012 at 11:25 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    That's pretty much what I was thinking, I've never used it before and they're not answering their customer service line today (kind of expected). I put my finger tip in the jar and it's black, like jet black. I don't think that'll blend very well :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info, I sent an e-mail to Dr Colorchip so hopefully they'll make it right.

8. Sep 3, 2012 at 11:33 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Yeah they probably grabbed the wrong jar and some other dude has your white. I never dealt with customer service so good luck and I hope they help you. It's a good kit.

9. Sep 4, 2012 at 4:29 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I got a response from them today. Turns out the guy who packed my kit wasn't paying attention and gave me Mercedes Benz Black instead of Toyota Superwhite (which, coincidently, both are color code 040).

10. Jul 23, 2013 at 5:57 PM
    supremetaco2

supremetaco2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    concrete jungle, oahu
    Vehicle:
    04inacoma
    +hp, lifted, lights, dif breather mod, debadged, shorty antenna...
    any updates on this thread? pictures?

11. Jul 23, 2013 at 6:14 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    No pictures but I really liked the results. I had some sizable chips in some very noticeable places and this kit covered them up very well. It was very easy to use, I just watched a DIY video on youtube and had at it. The color was perfect and the blending solution made most of my chips disappear completely, some of the larger ones you can still find if you look really, really hard but I can't find any of the smaller ones even knowing where they once were. I would definitely recommend their product. I have a superwhite if you're wondering. I have used the dealer-purchased color pens and they are horrible by comparison.

Taco-Jones likes this.
  12. Jul 23, 2013 at 6:18 PM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    Dammit i wish i used this. I have touchup blobs lol.

13. Jul 23, 2013 at 8:45 PM
    supremetaco2

supremetaco2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    concrete jungle, oahu
    Vehicle:
    04inacoma
    +hp, lifted, lights, dif breather mod, debadged, shorty antenna...
    you think it would work good on these paint chips?

image.jpg

14. Jul 24, 2013 at 5:51 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    It's not meant to cover areas that large, I'm not sure if it even would. What you do is apply the paint, wait a little bit then hit it with the blending solution and a microfiber. With such a large area, I'm not sure if you could apply that much paint smoothly, then try to buff it out. All the little scratches and knicks, this kit will take right out, no problem. The large peeled paint, I'm not so sure about.

Products Discussed in

To Top