1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Change from Manual Locks/Windoes to Power Locks/Windows

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by pidro_el_pirata, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Oct 6, 2008 at 9:18 AM
    pidro_el_pirata

pidro_el_pirata [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anyone done this before? I've been thinking about it for a long time and now hopefully going to get to it today. I ordered a kit from A1 Electric in Torrance. They have a really good install page with pictures of each step and it got here two days after I ordered, with regular ground shipping.

I'll post pics!

2. Oct 7, 2008 at 8:03 AM
    krlang

krlang NewEnglander

Member:
    Commonwealth of Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    03 2WD 2.4L Tacoma Reg Cab
    Chrome Bumpers F&R, Grille & Corner Lights, Wheel Skins, Red/Clear LED taillights, Remote start, PDL, Cruise, K&N, All Kenwood, DNX-5120 6.1" NAV/TRAFFIC/DTV/DVD/XM/BLUETOOTH/USB/IPOD/SUB/rear cam, Tint, Air Band radio, Class 3 Hitch with 4/7 pin harness, Transmission Cooler, Red Top Battery, "Deck Plate" mod.
    Hey,
    I did door locks not windows.

I was putting in a remote starter and saw that it not only had the controls for PDL, but it had the plug on the unit for an aftermarket kit.

I bought a cheap kit off of ebay.

I had to trim the plastic tube that the door lock rod runs through, attach the motor to the existing holes below the door lock, bend up the rod and attach it to the lock, run the wires and add a switch. I was done in an hour.

I added a switch to the left side of my dash, in a switch hole by the door, it makes it easy to open the other side. its a momentary rocker with arrows mounted vertically, it was almost as much as the door lock motors but it fit well with a little bit of shimmimg to make it stay.

The motors are cheap, about $8 each. but the first few have had their rubber boots rot off of them, and the water caused them to fail.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Oct 7, 2008 at 10:00 PM
    pidro_el_pirata

pidro_el_pirata [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cool yea i just ran into that tube and I was wondering what to do. How did you trim it? Did you cut a hole to clamp the rods together, or did you cut off the bottom, or what. It seems to be anchored at the top and the bottom is just hanging free. What's the point of it anyways? My original thought was to just cut it off but I'm sure it guides the rod away from the window so I decided against that.

4. Apr 6, 2009 at 8:38 PM
    sparklegrease

sparklegrease Baller Outrageous

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    2001 AT 2WD AC 2.4L
    235x75x15 Kuhmos. SnugTop Tonneau. Blacked out some interior parts. Pioneer head unit. Ammo can mod, deck plate mod and sandbox mod from not putting my deck plate back in.
    do you have any further info on this? I've been looking into changing over from manual to power locks/windows for awhile, but haven't found enough info to make the jump.

5. Apr 6, 2009 at 8:41 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    Damn where were all you people when i posted this! haha I was going to do it but no one here had done it so i held off

6. Jun 4, 2009 at 3:34 PM
    krlang

krlang NewEnglander

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Chrome Bumpers F&R, Grille & Corner Lights, Wheel Skins, Red/Clear LED taillights, Remote start, PDL, Cruise, K&N, All Kenwood, DNX-5120 6.1" NAV/TRAFFIC/DTV/DVD/XM/BLUETOOTH/USB/IPOD/SUB/rear cam, Tint, Air Band radio, Class 3 Hitch with 4/7 pin harness, Transmission Cooler, Red Top Battery, "Deck Plate" mod.
    Wow,
    I guess I havent looked here in a while,

If you remove the button (unscrew from rod) the plastic tube slides up and out.
    The tube is an anti-theft device believe it or not. :(
    If you didnt have the tube a slimjim will work a whole lot easier.

K.L.

7. Jun 8, 2009 at 12:47 AM
    pineapple

pineapple Well-Known Member

Member:
    HAWAII
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma 2WD
    do you have any pictures on how you did the power lock?.....sounds like something I would like to do.......

8. Jun 8, 2009 at 2:20 AM
    krlang

krlang NewEnglander

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I did not take any pictures,
    It is a very simple installation, two motors, wiring and a relay panel.
    I mounted a switch in the left side of my dash so I dont have to reach over to let her in, but other than that, it is tied into my remote starter.

k.l.

9. Jun 8, 2009 at 2:13 PM
    Werloc

Werloc Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Central, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2003 Double Cab 4X4 TRD 3.4 V6
    I want to do a Keyless Entry deal....

10. Jun 8, 2009 at 9:47 PM
    pineapple

pineapple Well-Known Member

Member:
    HAWAII
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma 2WD
    whats a good kit to buy! saw alot on ebay

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Jun 17, 2009 at 2:36 PM
    krlang

krlang NewEnglander

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The cheap door motors are just that, Cheap.
    Autoloc has a decent warranty on the $25-30 motors, but the cheap kits come with a $7 motor, no warranty. I have replaced both of mine so far.
    The boot rots off and they get filled with water, they dont last more than a year.
    I have one humming now, and I will soon be doing some research into replacing them with better units.

12. Jun 17, 2009 at 5:36 PM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

ChrisYoTaCoMa Chrome's for Harleys and old farts

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    00 Taco 4x4 Ex cab 2.7 sr5 AT
    New Pioneer stereo, and all 4 speakers with Infinity components. Sirius satellite radio. Deckplate mod done. Door buzzer silenced forever thank God, tinted windows, vent visors, hood protector(bug guard), ceramic pads and new rotors, dechromed EVERYTHING. 2" Lift front 3" rear. Skyjacker AAL's and replacement leafs(and front spacers) from Fatbobsgarage.com. Skyjacker 7000 Hydro rear shocks, those Bilstein 5100 fronts are coming soon!
    My bro in law had his installed a few years back with an Autolock kit. It runs in line with the Toyota factory alarm system. When I replaced my door speakers I saw the aftermarket power lock motors. No problems with it at all. Wish I had power windows though............. Until a motor breaks.... LOL.

Products Discussed in

To Top