LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Radiator Top Tank Crack... PLASTIC FANTASTIC

Old 05-24-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
Radiator Top Tank Crack... PLASTIC FANTASTIC

Lets hear it for fantastic plastic!! Driving home today I was at a stop light and I smell the sweet sweet smell of antifreeze. I think to myself, well it's really hot out, I have the AC on and I am sitting in trafic, so I must have some moving into the over flow, look at temp and I am good to go. Once I get home I open the hood and I find a hairline crack in the top PLASTIC tank and it looks like I have been through a mud puddle because I have dried water(coolant) on the tank, under the hood on the hoses...crap. I have already called on a new one I will be out the door for $150.00 and it's easy to do the install because I have had the rad out twice for my two waterpumps I have put in, but this can't come at a worse time, money is tight, between paychecks, and unfortunatly I live paycheck to paycheck. I'm at 125K now, and I am not bashing my truck but man, this coolant system has been a pain in the ass. Two pumps, one lower hose, one thermostat, and now this. I have changed the antifreeze twice in the past five years and try to keep up on the Preventive side of truck ownership. Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
I deal with dead animals
meatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
meatman's Tacoma Gallery
Dude that sucks and i know how hot it gets in Fl. but it is 12 yrs, old and that is not bad for a POS plastic radiator in Fl.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatman View Post
Dude that sucks and i know how hot it gets in Fl. but it is 12 yrs, old and that is not bad for a POS plastic radiator in Fl.

Nothing lasts forever.12 years isn't POS plastic.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I know nothing lasts forever, but my first car was a 1965 Mustang that I got in 1987, had the original, well hell everything was original on that car, my only bitch is if it were metal I could fix it, but being plastic, it's a no go on repair, just open wallet shell out cash. Tomorrow should be a good day, new rad is in at carquest, new antifreeze going in and my girl is taking me to get new parts and treating me to breakfast because she feels bad for me. FYI, JB Weld doesn't even come close to fixing a hairline crack on a plastic tank on our radiators. Turns out our cooling system has upwards of 15 PSI when hot and there is nothing on the market that is a quick fix, I tried just to get to work today, or even to see if it could get me home if I encounter another failure on the road. Nope, it didn't work.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
brelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud of
Air Force:
Name: Terry
brelandt's Tacoma Gallery
yep, been there with my 91 Sidekick. Nothing held. Just bought a new radiator like you did. Got smart on the 2000 Civic I had. Changed it before anything happened but hey the Civic's radiator was only $50 shipped!
Old 05-26-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
bicklebok has a spectacular aura aboutbicklebok has a spectacular aura aboutbicklebok has a spectacular aura about
Name: Ronnie
bicklebok's Tacoma Gallery
Things like that seem to come in cycles. I ended up replacing everything in my cooling system a couple of years ago. At least you will have a good cooling system once you get it behind you.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #7

Got the new part, made in Canada. It has the bungs for the auto transmission already plumbed in, even though I stated 5 speed. He told me there is only one part number for my truck auto or manual, the difference is the distance between the upper and lower tanks which I had to measure. (20 and 3/4 inch)So now I have the option of cooling the oil?? That would take some work if it's even a good idea.. I don't know. but $156.00 out the door, plus some new antifreeze brought it to $189.00. Well it's fixed, So I am happy. I did it myself. Lets see at least 100K out of this one and i will be happy.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:40 PM   #8
bicklebok has a spectacular aura aboutbicklebok has a spectacular aura aboutbicklebok has a spectacular aura about
Name: Ronnie
bicklebok's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome!
Old 05-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
brelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud ofbrelandt has much to be proud of
Air Force:
Name: Terry
brelandt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicklebok View Post
Awesome!
x2