1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine Stalled randomly

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Blumpkinson, May 26, 2011.

1. May 26, 2011 at 7:49 PM
    Blumpkinson

Blumpkinson [OP] Fuelled by plutonium and wild animals

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OR
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 5spd
    I was driving to home depot to pick up lumber when all of a sudden my truck lost all power (the lights and music still worked just the throttle had no input) and eventually stalled. I checked and made sure battery connection were tight and the plug wires were tight. I tried to start the engine up again and it went up to 800rpm's then stalled. I waited for about 15 mins to start it again, it stayed running but at around 400 rpm's and it surged allitle.

I got it home and let it sit for about two hours and started it back up. It ran fine idled normally and i had no problems when driving it around again.

I had the check engine light for the front o2 sensor on for about 3 months. The truck ran fine so i waited untill i could come up with the funds to replace it. After replacing the front sensor the check engine light came on for the rear o2 sensor. This was about 2 weeks ago, i've been waiting to replace the rear o2 sensor untill i could be sure there was actually a problem.

Anybody have any ideas??
    I talked to a mechanic and he said it could be the catalytic converter.
    I checked the voltage in the rear o2 sensor to see if it was varying like the one before the cat and it was at a steady .3 volts. Which leads me to believe the cat is fine and there is another problem.

It has a 3.4 and a 5spd.

2. May 26, 2011 at 7:51 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    your cat is most likely bad. not sure if that could cause your problems though.

3. May 26, 2011 at 8:00 PM
    Blumpkinson

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OR
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 5spd
    The mechanic said that was most likley the problem. However, if it was bad the rear o2 sensor should read just like the front one ( varying voltage as the engine tries to correct lean/rich mixture). When i checked it was steady.

4. May 27, 2011 at 3:15 AM
    shitroc

shitroc Master of War

Member:
    First Name:
    Ant
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD 4X4
    Listed in sig.......
    Check your throttle cable for slack, I had a similar problem awhile back and all it was was a loose t cable,tightened it up and I was good to go.

5. May 27, 2011 at 3:58 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    If the catalyst breaks loose from its mount, it can block the exhaust. Tap lightly on the cat's body and listen for a rattle or movement from inside. you can also put a pressure gauge before and after the cat, via O2 sensor hole, to check backpressure. If it's high precat and not high postcat, the cat is bad. If it's high all over, your muffler is plugged.
    I would check your fuel pressure if the cat is fine.. Random, weird stalls are normally caused by fuel problems.

6. May 27, 2011 at 8:40 AM
    Unknown

Unknown He who angers you conquers you

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Unknown
    Unknown
    Did it overheat?

7. May 27, 2011 at 9:03 AM
    Blumpkinson

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OR
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 5spd
    Nope it was running at the normal temp.

8. May 27, 2011 at 2:27 PM
    mx04taco

mx04taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Marietta,GA
    Vehicle:
    04, SR5, TRD, 4wd
    Flowmaster exhaust, Pioneer DVD HU, Pioneer speakers all around, , Viper security w/ remote start, Tinted Windows, Silverstar Headlights, Toytec 3" Coil Springs, All Pro Offroad Diff Drop 3/4", Bilstein 5100s, 2" Toytec AAL's, Toytec poly rear leaf bushings, Deckplate Mod 4", 265/75r16 firestone destination a/t's
    well running with a bad O2 for an extended period of time can kill a cat pretty quickly. and if a post cat sensor is switching like a pre cat sensor that means the cat is bad or going bad. so if your post cat sensor is reading steady, your cats are prob ok. but you prob shouldnt that long with a bad O2 anymore.

9. May 27, 2011 at 5:13 PM
    Blumpkinson

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OR
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 5spd
    Well i took it to another mechanic and he couldn't find any problems. I'm just going to let it go for now, i haven't been able to replicate the problem.

Once i get some money and a mig welder i'll tackle putting new cats in.

10. May 29, 2011 at 12:51 AM
    Norcalkid

Norcalkid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Willows ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    Icon coilovers, rear icon gas shocks with resevuar. 100 serries American eagle wheels wrapped in 33 in bfg ta's
    damn lol sounds like you guys had it easy haha, my truck stalled out on my wife and come to find out it had a hole in the intake maifold and 2 cloged injectors hahaha. lucky me i was on deployment and couldnt do shit about it. she took it to a buddy of mine and he fixed the hole and replaced all the injectors for $250 and a case of beer haha

Products Discussed in

To Top