LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Clutch squeak Linear Spring swap (TW how to)

Old 05-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #21
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmarshall1 View Post
Yes, at least on mine, it solved the non engaging cruise control. No more sticking my foot behind it to pull it up that extra smidgen.
lol... I have to do that all the time. It'll be hard to break the habit.

And because I'm an anal-retentive knobular jackass, I have to ask one more time:

You just removed that huge ass torsion spring entirely and did not replace it? And the pedal functions normally?

Also when you removed that torsion spring, did you wrap it in a towel like the TTORA guy did? I'm always spooked out a bit popping spring with lots of tension in it.

Thanks
Old 05-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #22
koco is on a distinguished road

koco's Tacoma Gallery
It looks like a good fix for the creaky clutch bushing. It's easier than taking the whole pedal assembly out to replace the bushing.

The clutch pressure plate will push the slave cylinder piston back when you take your foot off the clutch. You don't have to worry about the clutch slipping.

I wouldn't mind having a lighter clutch.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #23
valleyflyfisher is on a distinguished road
valleyflyfisher's Tacoma Gallery
I did this fix a few months ago and works like a charm, no more squeak is nice.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #24
Fejurty is on a distinguished road
Fejurty's Tacoma Gallery
Just throwing this out there. I did the spring mod a couple months ago and I just had to replace my clutch master cylinder. Does anyone think the new spring has anything to do with it? I'm wondering if the old torsion spring had more spring in it, helping the pedal return to it's high position and relieving some pressure on the 2 cylinders, mainly the master. I replaced the slave cylinder first and it didn't fix it so I went with master second which fixed the problem I was having. Could just be wear and tear with 220km but got me thinking...

Anyway have any input? I don't have much knowledge on this stuff.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #25
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fejurty View Post
Just throwing this out there. I did the spring mod a couple months ago and I just had to replace my clutch master cylinder. Does anyone think the new spring has anything to do with it? I'm wondering if the old torsion spring had more spring in it, helping the pedal return to it's high position and relieving some pressure on the 2 cylinders, mainly the master. I replaced the slave cylinder first and it didn't fix it so I went with master second which fixed the problem I was having. Could just be wear and tear with 220km but got me thinking...

Anyway have any input? I don't have much knowledge on this stuff.
Great... now you've planted seeds of doubt into my head

Old 05-29-2012, 05:04 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
Madjik. Turn off your computer and go mod you'll be fine. Your ears will thank you when the squeak is gone
Mine only squeaks in cold and humid conditions.

So all winter in Colorado and not much else.

But you're right... I need to turn off the computer and just do it.

I have a brake pedal return spring coming to me in the mail from a TW member whom I am sending a sheet of the rubber gasket material (for the cup holder tabs)
Old 05-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #27
rysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant futurerysully has a brilliant future

Marines:
Name: Ryan
rysully's Tacoma Gallery
I have a similar problem. How do I know for sure if its the spring? It dosen't always make a squeaking noise. I hate it I just bought my tacoma a month ago and every time I hear it I cringe. lol I just was praying it wasnt something serious.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #28
nicnicman is on a distinguished road
nicnicman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rysully View Post
I have a similar problem. How do I know for sure if its the spring? It dosen't always make a squeaking noise. I hate it I just bought my tacoma a month ago and every time I hear it I cringe. lol I just was praying it wasnt something serious.
My 2003 4x4 4 cylinder uses a different assembly. It all ready uses a spring. For me this wasn't the problem.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
Madjik. Turn off your computer and go mod you'll be fine. Your ears will thank you when the squeak is gone

Old 06-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #30
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
For those of you that did this mod. With the old spring could you feel when the clutch engaged? What about with the new spring?
I have the old spring(the one this mod eliminates) and I cant feel when my clutch engages. It also squeaks/ pops and is really stiff
Old 06-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #31
The Least Interesting Man In The World
trmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Lance Corporal, H&HS, Provost Marshal's Office, Military Police
Name: Tim
trmarshall1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post

Old 06-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #32
The Least Interesting Man In The World
trmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Lance Corporal, H&HS, Provost Marshal's Office, Military Police
Name: Tim
trmarshall1's Tacoma Gallery
How's it sounding Madjik Man?
Old 06-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmarshall1 View Post
How's it sounding Madjik Man?
What sound?
Old 06-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #34
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMABOSS View Post
For those of you that did this mod. With the old spring could you feel when the clutch engaged? What about with the new spring?
I have the old spring(the one this mod eliminates) and I cant feel when my clutch engages. It also squeaks/ pops and is really stiff
anyone?
Old 06-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #35

Quote:
anyone?
Just like I said in my build, I didn't have that issue. Hopefully someone else can chime in.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #36
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmmm not really sure about that. I haven't had any problems.
The stiffness might be a spring # issue. Or in the hydros, I remember someone saying that even with the spring off their clutch acted and felt normal.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #37
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucas View Post
Hmmmm not really sure about that. I haven't had any problems.
The stiffness might be a spring # issue. Or in the hydros, I remember someone saying that even with the spring off their clutch acted and felt normal.
Interesting. I hope its just the spring and not something to do with my clutch. Its been like that since I bought it
Old 06-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #38
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Interesting. I hope its just the spring and not something to do with my clutch. Its been like that since I bought it
yeah then you might want to check your fluids too, just to be sure,
Old 06-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post

Well this sucks moose titties...

Day 2 of use and I began to hear a very faint "tick" every time I engaged and released the pedal. Of course only I am the one who can hear it but it's still pissing me off beyond belief.

Turns out that notch, in which the middle part of the torsion spring nestled into (just northeast of the spring in the pic above), rotates down when the pedal is pressed and back up again (on that axle with orange goop on it) when the pedal is released. When it does that, it ends up hitting the spring and making that ticking noise.

More concerning is when I was manually pushing and releasing the pedal with my hand, watching this crapfest unfold before my eyes, I can see the spring ever so slightly get hung up on that notch. My fear is that it gets fully hung up on it while driving.

Anyone else have this issue?

Anyone have a suggested fix? I highly doubt I'm ever going back to the torsion spring so I might just try to get a jigsaw up in there and cut the bastard off.

Please someone yell at me if that's a terrible idea.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #40
1st gen > 2nd gen

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
not sure about that. I noticed that when I first used a bigger diameter spring it tended to hit on something. might want to try looking for a different spring? or turn the music up maby?