Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Clutch squeak Linear Spring swap (TW how to)

Old 06-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #41
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucas View Post
not sure about that. I noticed that when I first used a bigger diameter spring it tended to hit on something. might want to try looking for a different spring? or turn the music up maby?
Too late... my OCD will never let me not hear this. Even if I have headphones on.

More importantly I don't want the bastard to prevent the pedal from releasing.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #42
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
so what exactly is it hitting? that metal piece that is in front of the spring in the pic you posted?

edit: nvm i read more
Old 06-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #43
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I tried adding a circle to the culprit but photobucket is being a b*tch and not letting me save the edited image.

But I think you see it, right? It's the black metal piece with the notch, that is attached to that axle (of sorts) covered in orange goop
Old 06-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #44
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
I tried adding a circle to the culprit but photobucket is being a b*tch and not letting me save the edited image.

But I think you see it, right? It's the black metal piece with the notch, that is attached to that axle (of sorts) covered in orange goop
yeah I see it. I'm not sure what you could do to fix it.
well I just went out to check mine. (first time in probably a year) and noticed that mine hits it too. and also something strange. the spring looks stretched up until that point where it looks like it hasn't been used even when the spring is depressed. (like there is a small gap between the coils of the spring but when it gets to that part the coils are all touching. [this is when the clutch is depressed and released as well])
Old 06-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #45

Quote:
yeah I see it. I'm not sure what you could do to fix it.
well I just went out to check mine. (first time in probably a year) and noticed that mine hits it too. and also something strange. the spring looks stretched up until that point where it looks like it hasn't been used even when the spring is depressed. (like there is a small gap between the coils of the spring but when it gets to that part the coils are all touching. [this is when the clutch is depressed and released as well])
Interesting. Post a pic when/if you can.

That spring you used (at least in the OP) looks like it has way too many coils IMO.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMABOSS View Post
Maybe dremmel the section it's hitting out?
I just wrapped it in gaffer's tape.

Still making a little "click/tick" noise. I don't think that hitting the spring was it. It's something in the mechanism that goes through the firewall.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #48
The Least Interesting Man In The World
trmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Lance Corporal, H&HS, Provost Marshal's Office, Military Police
Name: Tim
trmarshall1's Tacoma Gallery
OCD's a bitch!
Old 06-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #49
1st gen > 2nd gen

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
heres mine. Yeah I think i should find a new spring.

pedal depressed:
the coils at the end are still the same
Old 06-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #50

Quote:
heres mine. Yeah I think i should find a new spring.

pedal depressed:
the coils at the end are still the same
That doesn't make me feel comfortable.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmarshall1 View Post
OCD's a bitch!
Tell me about it.

Noises (like this friggen thing, or static, etc...) drive me nuts
Old 06-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #52
1st gen > 2nd gen

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That doesn't make me feel comfortable.
mehh. hasnt failed me yet. lol
Old 06-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #53
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
I'm pissed. I just did this and it didn't solve my problem(s)
Old 06-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
so you have the squeak still? ill bet you it is coming from under the truck where the elbow meets the bellhousing. Mine still does that on occasion
I think he's talking about the "not feeling the clutch engage" issue.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #55

Quote:
is that possible? i feel it clear as day through mine.
Yeah, apparently he can't feel his - for quite some time IIRC
Old 06-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #56
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
Yes I was talking about the squeak and the feel of the clutch engaging. I think it's my slave cylinder? Idk
Old 06-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #57

Quote:
Yes I was talking about the squeak and the feel of the clutch engaging. I think it's my slave cylinder? Idk
It still squeaks?

Other than a tiny "tick" (from the notched welded tab hitting the linear spring) mine is silent.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #58
Firefighter:
Quote:
It still squeaks?

Other than a tiny "tick" (from the notched welded tab hitting the linear spring) mine is silent.
Yeah it still squeaks. And I still can't feel when the clutch engages. Could it be my slave cylinder?
Old 06-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #59

Quote:
Yeah it still squeaks. And I still can't feel when the clutch engages. Could it be my slave cylinder?
I would ask someone more knowledgeable
Old 06-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #60
Firefighter:
Quote:
What do you mean you cat feel it engage? How do you drive it if it isn't engaging?
It's been like that since I got it. It engages I just can't feel it