Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Clutch squeak Linear Spring swap (TW how to)

Old 03-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #101
When I grow up I want to be just like Me
BRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BRP27's Tacoma Gallery
I replaced the clutch spring with a OEM brake sping 2 to 3 months ago. Super easy, just pry out the stupid coil spring and hook up a brake spring.Takes 10 min. I used a OEM brake spring . I checked it yesterday and it is working fine. Clutch feels fine, good pedal feel.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #102
Yooper159 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Ground radio tech
Name: Miles
Yooper159's Tacoma Gallery
Smile Squeaky/ Clutch pedal does not come all the way to top

My clutch pedal was not coming all the way up. it would stop about a half inch from top and I would also hear a definite spring creak sound when using the clutch pedal. The toyota dealer I brought it to looked at it and bleed the master and slave clutch cylinders and told me they would need to replace the master cylinder ie another $150 on top of the $80 charged to diagnos the problem. I did not agree. I could tell it was something connected to the clutch spring. Attached is the diagram of the clutch pedal linkage under the dash. I ORDERED AND replaced the little plastic "U" shaped shim 31301P that rides between the clutch pedal return spring and the clutch rod arm seen in the diagram. The part cost $3.18. I replaced it myself by removing the entire clutch assembly from the fire wall. Wasn't too bad, but if you show a mechanic the diagram and part they can do it for $100 or so. THIS LITTLE PLASTIC SHIM FIXES THE SQUEAK AND THE CLUTCH NOT RETURNING TO TOP. CLUTCH PEDAL WORKS LIKE NEW AS IT SHOULD.
Attached Thumbnails
Clutch squeak Linear Spring swap (TW how to)-squeaky-tacoma-clutch-pedal-plastic-shim.bushing.jpg  
Old 07-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #103
Ready to Learn
HF13 is on a distinguished road
Name: Aaron
HF13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper159 View Post
My clutch pedal was not coming all the way up. it would stop about a half inch from top and I would also hear a definite spring creak sound when using the clutch pedal. The toyota dealer I brought it to looked at it and bleed the master and slave clutch cylinders and told me they would need to replace the master cylinder ie another $150 on top of the $80 charged to diagnos the problem. I did not agree. I could tell it was something connected to the clutch spring. Attached is the diagram of the clutch pedal linkage under the dash. I ORDERED AND replaced the little plastic "U" shaped shim 31301P that rides between the clutch pedal return spring and the clutch rod arm seen in the diagram. The part cost $3.18. I replaced it myself by removing the entire clutch assembly from the fire wall. Wasn't too bad, but if you show a mechanic the diagram and part they can do it for $100 or so. THIS LITTLE PLASTIC SHIM FIXES THE SQUEAK AND THE CLUTCH NOT RETURNING TO TOP. CLUTCH PEDAL WORKS LIKE NEW AS IT SHOULD.
Pretty sure this is what everyone is trying to Avoid doing. Im gonna try and use the brake return spring and ill let you all know how it works, whered u get that brake spring again Madjikman?
Old 07-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #104
Ready to Learn
HF13 is on a distinguished road
Name: Aaron
HF13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
I don't. Thought I had a picture of the Toyota parts bag but can't find it.

Here it is online: http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com/pr...090507020.html

pretty sure that part number does not coincide with Toyota dealerships. But if you just go to the dealership and ask for a brake pedal return spring, you'll get it.

Should be around $2.50 - $3.00

Here's a picture of what it looks like:

BTW Madjikman your clutch pedal looks like it has been brazed with a torch...pretty good looking brazing job if i might say so myself.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:18 AM   #105
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF13 View Post
Pretty sure this is what everyone is trying to Avoid doing. Im gonna try and use the brake return spring and ill let you all know how it works, whered u get that brake spring again Madjikman?
From another member (I sent him material for the cup holder tabs, he sent me the spring).

You can get it at the dealer or online. It's like $2.50