Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Clutch squeak Linear Spring swap (TW how to)

Old 03-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #101
When I grow up I want to be just like Me
BRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BRP27's Tacoma Gallery
I replaced the clutch spring with a OEM brake sping 2 to 3 months ago. Super easy, just pry out the stupid coil spring and hook up a brake spring.Takes 10 min. I used a OEM brake spring . I checked it yesterday and it is working fine. Clutch feels fine, good pedal feel.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #102
Yooper159 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Ground radio tech
Name: Miles
Yooper159's Tacoma Gallery
Smile Squeaky/ Clutch pedal does not come all the way to top

My clutch pedal was not coming all the way up. it would stop about a half inch from top and I would also hear a definite spring creak sound when using the clutch pedal. The toyota dealer I brought it to looked at it and bleed the master and slave clutch cylinders and told me they would need to replace the master cylinder ie another $150 on top of the $80 charged to diagnos the problem. I did not agree. I could tell it was something connected to the clutch spring. Attached is the diagram of the clutch pedal linkage under the dash. I ORDERED AND replaced the little plastic "U" shaped shim 31301P that rides between the clutch pedal return spring and the clutch rod arm seen in the diagram. The part cost $3.18. I replaced it myself by removing the entire clutch assembly from the fire wall. Wasn't too bad, but if you show a mechanic the diagram and part they can do it for $100 or so. THIS LITTLE PLASTIC SHIM FIXES THE SQUEAK AND THE CLUTCH NOT RETURNING TO TOP. CLUTCH PEDAL WORKS LIKE NEW AS IT SHOULD.
Attached Thumbnails
Clutch squeak Linear Spring swap (TW how to)-squeaky-tacoma-clutch-pedal-plastic-shim.bushing.jpg  
Old 07-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #103
Ready to Learn
HF13 is on a distinguished road
Name: Aaron
HF13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper159 View Post
My clutch pedal was not coming all the way up. it would stop about a half inch from top and I would also hear a definite spring creak sound when using the clutch pedal. The toyota dealer I brought it to looked at it and bleed the master and slave clutch cylinders and told me they would need to replace the master cylinder ie another $150 on top of the $80 charged to diagnos the problem. I did not agree. I could tell it was something connected to the clutch spring. Attached is the diagram of the clutch pedal linkage under the dash. I ORDERED AND replaced the little plastic "U" shaped shim 31301P that rides between the clutch pedal return spring and the clutch rod arm seen in the diagram. The part cost $3.18. I replaced it myself by removing the entire clutch assembly from the fire wall. Wasn't too bad, but if you show a mechanic the diagram and part they can do it for $100 or so. THIS LITTLE PLASTIC SHIM FIXES THE SQUEAK AND THE CLUTCH NOT RETURNING TO TOP. CLUTCH PEDAL WORKS LIKE NEW AS IT SHOULD.
Pretty sure this is what everyone is trying to Avoid doing. Im gonna try and use the brake return spring and ill let you all know how it works, whered u get that brake spring again Madjikman?
Old 07-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #104
Ready to Learn
HF13 is on a distinguished road
Name: Aaron
HF13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
I don't. Thought I had a picture of the Toyota parts bag but can't find it.

Here it is online: http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com/pr...090507020.html

pretty sure that part number does not coincide with Toyota dealerships. But if you just go to the dealership and ask for a brake pedal return spring, you'll get it.

Should be around $2.50 - $3.00

Here's a picture of what it looks like:

BTW Madjikman your clutch pedal looks like it has been brazed with a torch...pretty good looking brazing job if i might say so myself.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:18 AM   #105
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF13 View Post
Pretty sure this is what everyone is trying to Avoid doing. Im gonna try and use the brake return spring and ill let you all know how it works, whered u get that brake spring again Madjikman?
From another member (I sent him material for the cup holder tabs, he sent me the spring).

You can get it at the dealer or online. It's like $2.50
Old 10-11-2014, 11:22 AM   #106
BV227 is on a distinguished road
Marines: grunt
BV227's Tacoma Gallery
A bit more help?

I know this thread is over a year old, but am hoping someone will revisit it for me. I've paid my dues with a piece of scalp, three busted knuckles, and and hour of contorted, upside down labor - - how in hell do you get the damn coil spring off to start with? Does it take some tool I've never seen before?
Old 10-11-2014, 12:44 PM   #107
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
as you can see in my first picture, I just took a flat head and pried it out on the side of the coil spring where it goes into the hole.

** careful when it does come out because it has a lot of kinetic energy.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:08 PM   #108
When I grow up I want to be just like Me
BRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BRP27's Tacoma Gallery
Ya you just line up and start prying. Use of gloves and protective eye wear is recommended. I remember a bit of pucker factor prying the spring out
Old 10-12-2014, 08:23 AM   #109
Yooper159 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Ground radio tech
Name: Miles
Yooper159's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma Squeaky Clutch pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BV227 View Post
I know this thread is over a year old, but am hoping someone will revisit it for me. I've paid my dues with a piece of scalp, three busted knuckles, and and hour of contorted, upside down labor - - how in hell do you get the damn coil spring off to start with? Does it take some tool I've never seen before?

HI,
I highly recommend removing the entire clutch pedal assembly. once outside it's pretty easy to replace the plastic shims/bushings. The mounting studs go through the firewall and also the master cylinder. It sounds like extra work, but believe me it's the way to go. I tried popping the coil while it was under the dash too, I couldn't do it.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:18 PM   #110
old school
5280 is on a distinguished road

5280's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Rucas for posting this - my squeaky old clutch squeaks no more! Also thanks to Madjik Man for additional help.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:26 PM   #111
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Awesome!

Glad it worked out. I can't believed I lived so long with that noise before doing this.

How does the pedal feel now?
Old 10-28-2014, 06:03 AM   #112
old school
5280 is on a distinguished road

5280's Tacoma Gallery
Pedal is much better; feels "right," for lack of a better description.☺️
Old 11-13-2014, 06:11 PM   #113
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
From left to right:
1. 4Cyl Clutch Pedal Return Spring, Part # 90507-14030
2. Brake Pedal Return Spring, Part # 90905-07028
3. Brake Pedal Return Spring "W/VSC", Part # 90905-07020

Going with #1 for now.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:50 PM   #114
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Not pressed:

Depressed:

No contact on the pedal assembly cross brace (as expected). Minor contact on the torsional spring tab.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:54 PM   #115

On my phone so maybe I don't see it well, but which spring did you use?
Old 11-13-2014, 07:11 PM   #116

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
The 4 Cyl. clutch pedal return spring. 90507-14030

BTW, I think the spring you used is Part #90905-07028.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:00 PM   #117
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
so it does make contact a little with the torsion spring tab?
Old 11-13-2014, 10:01 PM   #118
Yeti Hunter
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
i make contact with both spring tab and cross bar. a ziptie holding it up prevents it from making noises lol
Old 11-14-2014, 01:39 AM   #119

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucas View Post
so it does make contact a little with the torsion spring tab?
yes, sir. As does both brake pedal springs.

Possible other options to solve include grinding the tab down a little or getting a 4Cyl clutch pedal.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:32 PM   #120
1st gen > 2nd gen

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
yes, sir. As does both brake pedal springs.

Possible other options to solve include grinding the tab down a little or getting a 4Cyl clutch pedal.
hmmm I don't think I've had that problem on my truck. I wonder if the clutch pedal assemblies are different.