Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Clutch squeak Linear Spring swap (TW how to)

Old 05-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
Clutch squeak Linear Spring swap (TW how to)

I found a lot of threads asking about how to fix the 1st gen squeaky clutch spring.
But I could only find the "how to's" on other forums, so I thought I would make one for TW.
-This fix only took about 20 minutes, and the hardest part was positioning my body right so I could get up in there.

Very simple fix requires:
-Linear spring about 5" x 7/16" and about .047 wire thickness
(I found one at ace 4 1/2" x 15/32" and .014 wire thickness)
-screwdriver

1st: I took the screw driver and dislodged one end of the origional spring. After that I just pulled the whole spring out.

2nd: One end of the spring will attach to a welded tab where the arrow in this picture is pointing to. And the other end will attach to the circled part on the clutch pedal.

enjoy
(sorry if the pictures aren't as descriptive as they can be, it was pretty tight down there, but hopefully anyone gets the idea)
Old 05-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
also heres the how to from Yotatech
But you dont necessarily need to remove the dash like in his write up.
http://www.yotatech.com/f2/fixed-stu...37/index2.html
Old 05-28-2011, 11:41 PM   #3
newskooler is a jewel in the roughnewskooler is a jewel in the roughnewskooler is a jewel in the rough

Firefighter: firefighter
Name: Nick
newskooler's Tacoma Gallery
Is that a number #70 spring from the hardware store? Thats what I used It gave me a soft clutch feel.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:06 AM   #4
1st gen > 2nd gen

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by newskooler View Post
Is that a number #70 spring from the hardware store? Thats what I used It gave me a soft clutch feel.
No I couldn't find the #70 spring from true value hardware.
the one i used is 4.5 inches long and has .041 wire thickness. I honestly cant feel a difference.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:51 AM   #5
1st gen > 2nd gen

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
updates on how thee are holding up?
like a dream still
Old 06-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #6
1st gen > 2nd gen

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
Looks alright.
That little play probablly wont affect the clutch mechanics.
As long as it returns correctly, you should be good.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:10 AM   #7
1st gen > 2nd gen

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
okay, well if you think that the spring isnt getting the tension then you probabll need a shorter spring.

If your worried that it will slip off, theres a problem. On mine theres plenty of tension on both ends, that I cant imagine it comming loose.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
1st gen > 2nd gen

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
9k miles on it, still going strong!
same!
Im thinking of trying different springs so see if I like a lighter pressure spring.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #9
1st gen > 2nd gen

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
mine feels just right. i dont think i could do with it much lighter. I don't really know how much the spring plays into that as much as it is the slave cylinder and all. when i was doing this originally, with no spring, i could push the clutch in and it had the same feel and it returned on its own
strange. I never tried that.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
Dirty mall crawler
YotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Forrest
YotaKid62's Tacoma Gallery
I did this earlier...funny toyota wouldn't just do that to begin with instead of that stupid plastic bushing. I got a different spring but I like a firmer clutch feel so its all good
Old 04-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #11
To secure peace, is to prepare for war
TacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacomaJPP's Tacoma Gallery
I bought the same spring as the brake pedal uses. In fact, I bought two and keep the extra in the truck.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:35 AM   #12
n0ms is on a distinguished road
Name: Angel
n0ms's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaJPP View Post
I bought the same spring as the brake pedal uses. In fact, I bought two and keep the extra in the truck.
How's the clutch feel? Firm or soft? The same?
Old 04-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #13
newskooler is a jewel in the roughnewskooler is a jewel in the roughnewskooler is a jewel in the rough

Firefighter: firefighter
Name: Nick
newskooler's Tacoma Gallery
Mine felt almost the same, maybe slightly stiffer. I've got about 12k miles on it without any problems.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #14
To secure peace, is to prepare for war
TacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacomaJPP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0ms View Post
How's the clutch feel? Firm or soft? The same?
It's slightly firmer than stock.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #15
1st gen > 2nd gen

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaKid62 View Post
I did this earlier...funny toyota wouldn't just do that to begin with instead of that stupid plastic bushing. I got a different spring but I like a firmer clutch feel so its all good
I agree. Its almost like they were going to, but then decided for some reason to do it the other way.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #16
Dirty mall crawler
YotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Forrest
YotaKid62's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Have to get us into the dealership more than every 90k miles for the WP and TB Little did they know, some customers are smart lol
Haha, yea but I've been going in for oil changes, since I hate doing them, but i think i'm gonna start doin them myself and save a few $$$
Old 04-12-2012, 11:28 PM   #17
Fejurty is on a distinguished road
Fejurty's Tacoma Gallery
This is a great solution. I found a similar spring in Canada, shortened it a bit and swapped it out in about 15 minutes. It's hard to get your arms in there but after a little contortion you'll figure it out. Pretty much all the rebound comes from the slave cylinder anyway, I"m not sure what the spring really does. Either way, i was surprised how quiet it was after.

Thanks for the info. Easy mod.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #18
1st gen > 2nd gen

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fejurty View Post
This is a great solution. I found a similar spring in Canada, shortened it a bit and swapped it out in about 15 minutes. It's hard to get your arms in there but after a little contortion you'll figure it out. Pretty much all the rebound comes from the slave cylinder anyway, I"m not sure what the spring really does. Either way, i was surprised how quiet it was after.

Thanks for the info. Easy mod.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:07 PM   #19
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
So to be sure...

I remove that huge ass torsion spring (is that what it's called?) in the first pic and get rid of it entirely. Then replace it with that #70 spring (or brake pedal return spring) by hooking it up to the clutch pedal and the welded tab under the dash.

And that's it?

Does it return the pedal so that it makes contact with the cruise control switch?
Old 05-29-2012, 08:39 AM   #20
The Least Interesting Man In The World
trmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Lance Corporal, H&HS, Provost Marshal's Office, Military Police
Name: Tim
trmarshall1's Tacoma Gallery
spring mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
So to be sure...

I remove that huge ass torsion spring (is that what it's called?) in the first pic and get rid of it entirely. Then replace it with that #70 spring (or brake pedal return spring) by hooking it up to the clutch pedal and the welded tab under the dash.

And that's it?

Does it return the pedal so that it makes contact with the cruise control switch?
Yes, at least on mine, it solved the non engaging cruise control. No more sticking my foot behind it to pull it up that extra smidgen.